Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help: Fujimi gt40 model kit

I am looking for advice and was hoping some of you guys could help. My teenage son is really into the original Ford GT40’s and I was hoping we could build a model of one together, especially since he’s stuck at home during this quarantine.  I’m having a hard time finding a Fujimi kit for less than $100 on the big auction site.  Is this my best option? Anyone know of how else to come by one? Are decal sheets available for this kit? He would probably want to build the Ken Miles car if possible. He’s never built a model car but I’ve done some fairly extensive modeling, just been a while. 
Any help or advice appreciated. 
Thanks,

Jed

You might keep an eye on HobbyLinc.  They carry 4 of the Fujimi GT-40 kits, all "Currently Unavailable."  But they're available for Pre-Order, which would seem to mean we can order them in the future.  Here's a link to a "GT40" search on their site:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=&str_s=gt40

Edited by Mike999
goof

11 hours ago, dawgvet said:

I am looking for advice and was hoping some of you guys could help. My teenage son is really into the original Ford GT40’s and I was hoping we could build a model of one together, especially since he’s stuck at home during this quarantine.  I’m having a hard time finding a Fujimi kit for less than $100 on the big auction site.  Is this my best option? Anyone know of how else to come by one? Are decal sheets available for this kit? He would probably want to build the Ken Miles car if possible. He’s never built a model car but I’ve done some fairly extensive modeling, just been a while. 
Any help or advice appreciated. 
Thanks,

Jed

Indycals sells the decals.  You may have to sand down the "Gurney bubble" on the roof depending on which kit you find.  The Revell kits should be the least expensive as most people want the Fujumi kits with the unique decals but all the Mark II kits are about the same (some do not have the roof bubble).

Once you acquire the kit and decals there are many of that can guide you along on any unique things about the #1 car as raced at Lemans in 1966.

IMG_7644.PNG

19 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Revell had /does have one as well.

Not sure what year/ model it represents.  But isnt a bad kit at all on the shelf

Their Mk II version is a Fujimi kit in a Revell labeled box. A curbside, like the other Fujimi Ford GT40s. But, a great kit. 

In boxes seen labeled as Revell/Monogram, you'll find an early prototype version of the Ford GT. This kit has a lot more details to it than the Fujimi kits. But, it was originally tooled up by Aurora back in the mid 60's. And is a typical of car kits put out by Aurora at the time. Not bad. But, really great, like the Fujimi GTs.

So, there are two GT 40s out there under the Revell labeled boxes. I don't mind the Aurora based kit. I have one. But, I love the Fujimi based kit even better. And have built a couple from out of both Revell and Fujimi labeled boxes.

42 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Their Mk II version is a Fujimi kit in a Revell labeled box. A curbside, like the other Fujimi Ford GT40s. But, a great kit. 

In boxes seen labeled as Revell/Monogram, you'll find an early prototype version of the Ford GT. This kit has a lot more details to it than the Fujimi kits. But, it was originally tooled up by Aurora back in the mid 60's. And is a typical of car kits put out by Aurora at the time. Not bad. But, really great, like the Fujimi GTs.

So, there are two GT 40s out there under the Revell labeled boxes. I don't mind the Aurora based kit. I have one. But, I love the Fujimi based kit even better. And have built a couple from out of both Revell and Fujimi labeled boxes.

And here they are so there's no confusion.  The ones on the right are the Mark II's which can be made into the #1 "2nd" place 66 Lemans car with the correct decals and painting of course. 

IMG_7650.JPG

In response to the original question posted - Yes, eBay is your best indication of current value on the Fujimi GT40 kits.

I think the popularity/demand for these went WAY up after “Ford vs. Ferrari.” (I bought a Fujimi kit four years ago on eBay for $25 + domestic shipping.)

It looks like you may have to pay the going price now. Good luck, I hope you and your son find one to build! 

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

And here they are so there's no confusion.  The ones on the right are the Mark II's which can be made into the #1 "2nd" place 66 Lemans car with the correct decals and painting of course. 

IMG_7650.JPG

The ones on the right are the ones I was referring to.

They are curbside but make for a nice shelf piece.

I need to get me one of them again someday here soon