Model Cars Magazine Forum

CHP Olds additional pictures added

espo

"50 Oldsmobile  California Highway Patrol Car.  Built basically out of box  with modifications to look like a patrol car from that era. The door decals are from Chimneyville Hobbies. The two way Radio was from the '48 Ford kit and the Spot Lights are from Galaxie '48 Chevrolet Aero Sedan kit.  IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.3196179d6515ca8bb473c7fc47570538.JPGTTIMG_1302.thumb.JPG.8a23f4da8ee64169b85bff408277ec85.JPG

Edited by espo

8 hours ago, Plowboy said:

That's a cool patrol car David! I don't think I've ever seen an Oldsmobile built as a police car. Looks like it has all of the period details. Nice work!

Thank you for your comments on this. In doing a little research on the CHP web sites I found that they did indeed use '49 Oldsmobiles and in this exact body style. They have an extensive picture gallery of cars that they have used from the 1930's thru today. I remember in the '60's they had Oldsmobiles and Mercurys at different times.  

20 minutes ago, espo said:

Thank you for your comments on this. In doing a little research on the CHP web sites I found that they did indeed use '49 Oldsmobiles and in this exact body style. They have an extensive picture gallery of cars that they have used from the 1930's thru today. I remember in the '60's they had Oldsmobiles and Mercurys at different times.  

Sorry David. I should have been more clear. I meant I don't think I've ever seen an Oldsmobile model built as a patrol car. I bet there were a lot of full scale Oldsmobile police cars in 1950 with Ford still using the flathead and Chevy still using the straight six.

7 hours ago, Caballero_ScaleModel said:

Hi again David :) I just found this post after you comment on mine! Really really nice build, the paint job is superb, really clean.  It is nice for sure to see this car with the original emblems. Would love to see some photos of the interior and engine bay ;) 

I have a couple oIMG_1299.thumb.JPG.81c89995ec01d3afa24ab556650dc906.JPGf pictures I posted before I finished. The interior is much as it would be from the factory. I removed the clock and radio since the CHP cars wouldn't have them. I used the 2 way radio from the '48 Ford kit. This should be close to what was used but there really isn't anyway to know but it looks correct to me. The two lights on the real package tray represent what they used at the time. The red and amber lights would alternate flashing when needed. I used the spot lights that are from the Galaxie '48 Chevrolet kit. The driver's side  is red an d the passenger side is clear.   

IMG_1294.JPG

IMG_1295.JPG

7 hours ago, Caballero_ScaleModel said:

Hi again David :) I just found this post after you comment on mine! Really really nice build, the paint job is superb, really clean.  It is nice for sure to see this car with the original emblems. Would love to see some photos of the interior and engine bay ;) 

The engine is built stock with spark plug wiring added but with all the other parts of the engine compartment you wouldn't notice that. The chassis is also stock and detailed only using different shades of black and some dark metal IMG_1297.thumb.JPG.48e81fc9db7b32eaa1746d6552a34250.JPGIMG_1296.thumb.JPG.fa8467399d785312dc6ae8c22d1b45cc.JPGcolors. IMG_1297.thumb.JPG.dc1f6965426b60347c3992bc4b733cb9.JPG

On 5/6/2020 at 3:16 AM, espo said:

The engine is built stock with spark plug wiring added but with all the other parts of the engine compartment you wouldn't notice that. The chassis is also stock and detailed only using different shades of black and some dark metal colors. 

Really nice interior details David, I like the addition of the 2 way radio very much. The engine compartment looks great, it happened the same to me with my Oldsmobile, after the effort on wiring the engine you can hardly see it when finished ? What model are you working on right now?

1 hour ago, GLMFAA1 said:

Nice job on kit, radio needs antenna

greg

Your right, and I was trying to come up with something. The photo from the CHP Archives show the antenna mounted on the drivers side just below the C Pillar and above the rear fender. Maybe when they start letting us out of the house I'll look for something in the Doll House section at HL. 

On 5/7/2020 at 7:40 AM, Caballero_ScaleModel said:

Really nice interior details David, I like the addition of the 2 way radio very much. The engine compartment looks great, it happened the same to me with my Oldsmobile, after the effort on wiring the engine you can hardly see it when finished ? What model are you working on right now?

As to what I'm going to build next. I have gone back and forth between a few models in the stash. I'm going to build the Galaxie '48 Chevrolet Aero Sedan kit.   I saw one in a magazine done in a style that I haven't done in years. I'll be using every chrome do dad in the kit and it will be as low as I can go. Thank you for your interest. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:58 PM, espo said:

As to what I'm going to build next. I have gone back and forth between a few models in the stash. I'm going to build the Galaxie '48 Chevrolet Aero Sedan kit.   I saw one in a magazine done in a style that I haven't done in years. I'll be using every chrome do dad in the kit and it will be as low as I can go. Thank you for your interest. 

That sound really cool David, I really like the 48 Chevrolet body, that low cut on the back is sexy. I'm sure looking forward to see the outcome...have fun building it.

On 5/9/2020 at 7:08 AM, PappyD340 said:

Very nice!

Thank you 

On 5/10/2020 at 5:57 AM, ATHU said:

Beautiful work David, looks great!!

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

On 5/10/2020 at 6:37 AM, ChrisR said:

Very nice!

Thank you for looking.  

10 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Excellent job on this. That upholstery looks amazing!

Thank you. I used Scale Motor Sport decals for the pattern. They offer several different patterns but are delicate and easily torn when applying.  

The build looks great. Lots of possibilities with that kit.

Get a ball headed straight pin, cut the pin shaft 1/4 inch from the ball. Take a disc of styrene about the same diameter of the ball, drill a small hole in the center and insert the cut off pin shaft through it. Now you have the base and the attachment flange. Drill another small hole in the ball at a 90' angle (or other suitable angle) from the pin shaft. Insert a suitable length of straight wire, I use .015 music wire, as the antenna itself. (I don't care if it is too stiff to bend over) Use some floral wire and wind a tight coil over the shank of a small diameter drill bit. trim it to length and slide it over the antenna. Now you have the ball mount with mounting flange, spring assembly and whip. Drill a small hole in the appropriate location on the fender and use the cut off pin shank as a mounting pin. 

Here's my take.

YCXx8ym.jpg

fbdBfXl.png

here's a better illustration. 

aS0rrsr.jpg

G

20 hours ago, Agent G said:

The build looks great. Lots of possibilities with that kit.

Get a ball headed straight pin, cut the pin shaft 1/4 inch from the ball. Take a disc of styrene about the same diameter of the ball, drill a small hole in the center and insert the cut off pin shaft through it. Now you have the base and the attachment flange. Drill another small hole in the ball at a 90' angle (or other suitable angle) from the pin shaft. Insert a suitable length of straight wire, I use .015 music wire, as the antenna itself. (I don't care if it is too stiff to bend over) Use some floral wire and wind a tight coil over the shank of a small diameter drill bit. trim it to length and slide it over the antenna. Now you have the ball mount with mounting flange, spring assembly and whip. Drill a small hole in the appropriate location on the fender and use the cut off pin shank as a mounting pin. 

Here's my take.

YCXx8ym.jpg

fbdBfXl.png

here's a better illustration. 

aS0rrsr.jpg

G

Great looking Patrol Cars. Your Olds is on the order of what I was thinking, just wasn't sure how to pull it off. Thank you for your input. This is the first Squad I have ever tried and my fear was I would screwup the body and paint. Now with a road map maybe I can get it looking a little more complete. The mouse ears lights on the Olds just don't look right to me, but I'm sure there were agencies that did it that way.  I also like the '49 or '50 Ford coupe CHP car. Who did you get your door decals from ? 

Nice clean build!  Looks awesome.

Here are a few pix that may help you, or anybody doing an early CHP car.  I found these when building the Maisto '55 Buick CHP car. (It's over in the Diecast section.) 

The second pic is an early General Electric police radio used by the CHP.  The third pic shows the radio installation in a CHP '55 Buick.

The fourth pic is a "tribute" '55 Buick, not an original, but it shows the typical spotlight mounting in CHP cars.  Look closely and you can see Broderick Crawford's autograph between the gauges!

The last pic with the cop in the car is also a '55 Buick. The switchbox under the dashboard at the far left controls the lights and siren.  

CHPBall1.jpg

ge1.jpg

int-1a.jpg

int-6.jpg

PProg1955a.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit4

2 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking Patrol Cars. Your Olds is on the order of what I was thinking, just wasn't sure how to pull it off. Thank you for your input. This is the first Squad I have ever tried and my fear was I would screwup the body and paint. Now with a road map maybe I can get it looking a little more complete. The mouse ears lights on the Olds just don't look right to me, but I'm sure there were agencies that did it that way.  I also like the '49 or '50 Ford coupe CHP car. Who did you get your door decals from ? 

The "mouse ear" lights were how the CHP tackled the emergency lighting issue back then. The decals are a home made print. I scanned an old Chimneyville set. The entire emblem should be gold/black with no colors like I have included. Someone makes a sheet with correct vintage markings, but I don't recall who now. 

See the source image

2 hours ago, Agent G said:

The "mouse ear" lights were how the CHP tackled the emergency lighting issue back then. The decals are a home made print. I scanned an old Chimneyville set. The entire emblem should be gold/black with no colors like I have included. Someone makes a sheet with correct vintage markings, but I don't recall who now. 

See the source image

I had gone into the CHP photo archives looking for any old photos of what cars they used at that time. Your photo looks like the one I found their. I couldn't find any other Oldsmobile PD car photos out there, but I'm sure there must be some somewhere. Something I notice on your enlarged photo what appears to be a mark of some sort on the driver's front fender. The appearance is similar to a type of after market AM radio antenna sold at auto parts stores of the time.  The poor officer's uniform isn't as tailored as what they usually ware now.