Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 917 Turbo Engine detail photos

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, Force said:

Well I did not see any turbos so that's why I reacted...a turbo engine should have a least one turbo don't they. ;)

It is not turbocharged. If it was, as Håkan says, it would have one or more turbochargers attached to it. It just doesn't.

If it’s a 917/30 engine, it was built to be turbocharged. 

https://www.historicracingnews.com/Article/The-Record-Breaking-Porsche-917-30/2054

Whether or not the turbos are on it now, is neither here nor there: it doesn’t have a chassis or wheels on it now either. Given the issues they had getting the Can Am turbo engine to work reliably with intercoolers and the airflow from a car travelling 200mph, I’m not surprised that when turning over a static mechanical work of art they’re not doing it at maximum boost. 

best,

M.

Built as a turbo charged engine mostly means lower compression ratio and some other stuff...all internal and not visible from the outside, the tell tale could be the plenums on top and the placement of the injection pump if the turbos isn't there.
It doesn't matter much...the 917 flat-12 engine is a gem in any case and the photos are great. B)

With the turbos the engine looks something like this.

9dc4668fdb9ae12d1d6878bbea7d0fab.jpg.d12307e55611f633d502b185c47869b8.jpg

712384440_an-unfair-advantage-Porsche-Turbo-motorbooks-quarto61100hp.jpg.5118156be371c1a8487ae8380ae46476.jpg

Edited by Force