Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint test today-Testors Dark cherry pearl

I wanted to test a new color I bought from lhs for my upcoming 59 Impala,  Testors dark cherry pearl lacquer . I washed a couple spoons w alcohol,  and commenced.  

The base colors I had available was gloss black,  inca gold,  diamond dust,  and champagne gold.  I thought the pearl would be very transparent,  but after 2 coats I wasnt able to discern much difference. 

Heres all together - the yellow one didnt receive as much paint it looked much more see thru20200607_181811.thumb.jpg.ee39d4d59f4d0392b40c79c58053eab0.jpg

20200607_181829.thumb.jpg.d555edd1256e866f5dde85f90708758b.jpg

screwing around with some Ultra gloss clear I shot 2 wet coats over the black base and silver

20200607_193330.thumb.jpg.420427b449f771d72942f46ccdc95285.jpg20200607_193325.thumb.jpg.3b5c97fe6c4d37ca86ab06f7f90ac9ea.jpg

I cant wait to get building this now , plan to have a black roof / trunk then the dark cherry body / hood 

It looks like a nice color.  Reminds me of the dark cherry color used on the '90s Impala SS.

But while it is a bit hard to accurately judge it on a spoon, the metallic flakes seem a bit large for 1:24 or smaller scales.  That is a trait that most Testors automotive metallic paints share - the metallic flakes are out of scale.  They look acceptable when viewed in-person, but they look weird in model photos.

Thanks , funny cause when I looked up the color for ideas,  it did it was a GM color for Cadillac.  Actually says gm color on label I just noticed 

I didnt realize the flake was out of scale, but have seen several that looked like a bass boat,  this ones much smaller 

Dark Cherry Pearl was a Model Masters color. I have an older project painted with it. Could it be that Testors is just going to relabel the MM paints? I would like to see some of those colors come back. 

Jeff, would you mind posting a photo of the paint can please?

Edited by Plowboy