Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Buick Electra

doorsovdoon

Right then, another one on the kitchen table:D This time it's the 1962 Buick Electra by AMT. Box art is lovely with the main picture showing the customised version. A quick look at the kit inside makes me wonder how on earth the mould still survives and wasn't scrapped decades ago! I forgot to take pictures of the mould lines but they were everywhere. They were so bad it's as if the two halves of the moulds weren't lined up, creating a step wherever there was a casting line! Sanding down the cast lines removed a lot of the detail because so much material had to be taken off. The front and rear wings have a shaped angle to them, I had to re shape those because the amount of sanding I did removing the cast lines flattened them out, taking the fuel filler and door gaps with it! Also the trim that runs along the side of the car turns into two trim lines then back into one, it looks like the mould didn't close properly or the mould really is that worn out! Anyway, I've done what I can with it, including re-scribing the trim along the sides, the fuel cap and filling in a missing chunk around the front windscreen with filler. Me and this kit are going to get on just great, I can tell! xD 

box.JPG

20200710_164328.JPG

20200710_164554.JPG

Art 1.JPG

Art_2.JPG

Looks like you're off to a good start.

I built one about eight years ago and the casting was a bit rough back then. I can only imagine what it's like now. The version I built had a decal sheet with yellow scallops instead of the flames pictured with yours.

David G.

4 hours ago, David G. said:

Looks like you're off to a good start.

I built one about eight years ago and the casting was a bit rough back then. I can only imagine what it's like now. The version I built had a decal sheet with yellow scallops instead of the flames pictured with yours.

David G.

It was pretty bad, Lol!  Despite the mould quality it's a really nice kit. Lots of custom extras and even the option to build a convertible. 

Are you sure you didn't sand off a character line that's supposed to be there?  There is quite a sharp peak that runs up the top of the rear fenders towards the doors and through the gas door. It's not very high and could be easily mistaken for mold misalignment.

1962 BUICK ELECTRA 225 CONVERTIBLE -

Yes, that peak that runs along the top of the wings was stepped so badly the only way I could get it right was to sand it off! I tried re-shaping the peak but I could only do so much before I risked sanding through completely.That chrome trim on the side I just about managed to save. It split into two trim lines just above the rear wheel arch and merged back into one along the door. It's a seriously worn out mould.

3BDD2436-67DD-490B-A724-FB40FC6704B9.jpeg.78f14e1a73bb396ba6fc91ecb5b546af.jpeg083C7BDD-1ACD-4F07-9F77-B033A55884B1.jpeg.bb7f16b05e0e46a2afa06045fca02aa7.jpeg

I own this old original 1962 convertible with up top. Just the way I bought it, this was the second or third paint job on it since there are colors under the burgundy.

The builder did take off the chrome strip along the top of fenders and doors. I didn’t even notice until I got the repop hardtop kit.

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

What color are you painting the body.

I might be able to offer some interior color suggestions if I knew the exterior color.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I did paint the car metallic green and absolutely nothing suited it, so decided to change it to a light blue. I still couldn't decide on an interior colour so I took the easy way out and went with white, lol.  I'll probably paint the seat inserts a dark silver.

20200711_205749.JPG

3 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks, Steve. I did paint the car metallic green and absolutely nothing suited it, so decided to change it to a light blue. I still couldn't decide on an interior colour so I took the easy way out and went with white, lol.  I'll probably paint the seat inserts a dark silver.

Probably the most common interior color for that color would have been blue as well.

If you're going with white, it likely would have been a combination of black and white, although substituting a light metallic blue for the black would look great.

reduced-1962-buick-electra-225-coupe-great-condition-3.jpg

347438c834491c_low_res_1962-buick-electra-225.jpg

34741406270edc_low_res_1962-buick-electra-225.jpg

Steve

2 hours ago, David G. said:

Nice progress on this, excellent color choice. Metallic pastels do seem to suit the body style, I painted mine in a frosty purple.

David G.

Yes, I love the pastel metallics from back then. Difficult one this though. The main colour I chose has a hint of lilac in it which has made finding an interior colour that suits a right headache! Green doesn't work and blues are too blue. Any lighter on the blue and you start getting into silvers and greys. From the picture Steve posted above I think I'll go with black accents with the main colour being white.

20200712_143248.JPG

You could always go with the body colour as the secondary interior colour. That was quite common on American cars back in the '60s.

And don't forget the body color around the headlight bezels as shown in Steve's pic above. Most people miss that detail. ?

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

You could always go with the body colour as the secondary interior colour. That was quite common on American cars back in the '60s.

And don't forget the body color around the headlight bezels as shown in Steve's pic above. Most people miss that detail. ?

oh, I didn't notice the headlight bezels are the same colour! I thought it was reflection. Thanks, I'll be sure to do those, might even have to do a bit of filling as the outer bezel looks part of the car.

In the kit is a miniature car which is part of the trophy. There's only half a car, you have to build the other half! It even says in the instructions to build the rest of it from scratch, it's Tiny, with a capital T! I'm up for a challenge so I started scratch building the rest of the little car, It's hilarious!

Has anyone here ever built this? or even bothered to! It's a huge amount of work, even cutting it out of the sprue was a task.

20200712_201155.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon

I've settled on a white interior with black dashboard top and parcel shelf but it was still a bit too white in there, so I took a chance on some silver accent in the seats. Just got the door cards to do now, and some chrome trim detail then the interior tub is finished.

20200712_222619.JPG

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

Looks nice; really liking this build! This is one of those kits everyone seems to have one or two of in their collection, but few are built. Nice job on plowing through with this one.

Thanks, Rusty. After you get passed the bad moulding it's a really nice kit.