Model Cars Magazine Forum

First motorcycle build since the 70's-MPC Super Hawk

I have built some of the old Revell and MPC 1/8 scale bikes in the past but never knew this 1/16 kit existed until the recent rerelease was spotted in Hobby Lobby. So I bought it on a whim because the subject matter intrigued me. It is more detailed than I expected and the mold is still in good shape. The tires have "Lindberg Special" on the sidewalls so I'm sure this wasn't originally an MPC mold. Does it have Pyro origins? Or maybe even Airfix as they used to do 1/16 bike kits.

Made a start as soon as I got it home. Built the subassemblies and painted the frame Testors dark red enamel with a brush( yeah, I know, it's going to take forever to dry). Dechromed the side covers and fenders because the model has far more chrome than the real thing did.

IMG_0496.JPG

Made some small progress over the past few days. Got a lot of the painting done.

The engine is painted with Humbrol matt aluminium enamel and the fenders and side covers are Tamiya TS-17 gloss aluminum. The seat is brush painted with Acryl flat black. the red parts are going to need a second coat except for the frame as it already has two coats.

IMG_0499.JPG

On 8/3/2020 at 12:26 PM, oldscool said:

Does it have Pyro origins? Or maybe even Airfix as they used to do 1/16 bike kits.

Here's an old thread from 2018 about that very kit you're building, with some history on 1/16 bike kits.  AFAIK that Honda was always a Lindberg kit, not related to PYRO or Airfix.  Airfix did a 1/16 Honda 450, BSA C15, BMW R69 and the Unobtainium, the Ariel Arrow.

Pyro did a bunch of Yamahas and Harleys in 1/16 that have never been reissued, probably due to licensing costs. They also did some neat 1/16 scale scooters, a Lambretta and a Vespa.

12 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Here's an old thread from 2018 about that very kit you're building, with some history on 1/16 bike kits.  AFAIK that Honda was always a Lindberg kit, not related to PYRO or Airfix.  Airfix did a 1/16 Honda 450, BSA C15, BMW R69 and the Unobtainium, the Ariel Arrow.

Pyro did a bunch of Yamahas and Harleys in 1/16 that have never been reissued, probably due to licensing costs. They also did some neat 1/16 scale scooters, a Lambretta and a Vespa.

Thanks for that Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Dodge truck is finished it's time to get back to this one. Got this much done this morning. Everything fit surprisingly well and the wheels even lined up. The red is darker than it appears. Yeah, I forgot to paint the stand. Gonna leave the front fender braces off as they are way too thick.

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

On 8/29/2020 at 9:32 PM, iBorg said:

I keep looking at this kit and wonder how hard it would be to convert it into a Honda Dream.

Looks to me like it would be major work as all the bodywork is different and I believe the Dream had a stamped steel frame which was totally different but i could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a pic to show that I am still plugging away at this one since a few of you encouraged me to keep going. A few more parts and it will be in Under Glass. I cut the exhaust mounting pins off by accident removing the passenger peg mounts as a lot of boy racers did back then so the exhaust pipe is cemented to whatever part it touches.

IMG_0548.JPG

On 8/30/2020 at 10:13 PM, iBorg said:

It did have a stamped steel frame. The engine, tank, seat and side covers could be used. The forks and fenders would be a problem.  Here's a good page on the Dream.  http://soucycars.com/cars_for_sale/1965_honda_dream_305

IMG_7805a.232205602_std.jpg

It looks like the tank may be shaped slightly different as well.

1 hour ago, oldscool said:

It looks like the tank may be shaped slightly different as well.

Easy to reshape the non chrome part. The tank sides could be a challenge. I bet few would notice. The front end would be a the true test of skill. 

As for the build.....that's a whole lot better looking than I expected.

Edited by iBorg

22 hours ago, iBorg said:

Easy to reshape the non chrome part. The tank sides could be a challenge. I bet few would notice. The front end would be a the true test of skill. 

As for the build.....that's a whole lot better looking than I expected.

It's a better detailed kit than I expected as well.

14 hours ago, cobraman said:

Looking good. Your almost to the finish line !

Thanks Ray. I may try to remove the side covers and reposition them as they are a little crooked and seem to be pushing up the rear of the tank a little. The tank is only glued at the front mounting pins.

Edited by oldscool
added content

• 2 weeks later...