Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 69 Chevelle SS396

randyc

Chrysler's nomenclature for those wheels was / is Road Wheels . In spite of what's been seen the last 30+ years on many "restored" cars , all of the Road Wheels were only 14"  --- the width varied-slightly ; 5.5" - 6" .

Ford ( et al. ) called theirs Magnum 500s . Now those were 15" with a 6"-7" width .

Chevrolet refers to them as Sport Wheels : "SPORT WHEELS: Special 14x7 wheels include deep inset trim ring and bright spokes . For SS Coupe only." ( reference : 1970 Nova brochure . No mention of their name in the 1969 Chevelle & Malibu brochure , though a couple of images are provided ) : 

http://oldcarbrochures.org/United States/Chevrolet/1970-Chevrolet/1970-Chevrolet-Nova-Brochure/slides/1970_Chevrolet_Nova-11.html

AMC refers to their offering as  "Mag-style wheels" .

Edited by 1972coronet

By the way, for those of us "rule breakers" that don't want to follow the instructions due to ease of painting or whatever.....

The instructions call for mounting the engine to the frame before mounting the frame to the floorpan. It's not a big deal, but you will have to remove the locating pin from the transmission tailshaft housing to get the engine in if you assemble the frame and floorpan before mounting the engine. The engine mounts are positive enough that you don't need the extra pin location on the transmission. 

I some progress today.  It's coming along on random steps.  I'll have to check on that tip about mounting the engine.  Also, photo of the road wheels from the roadrunner kit.  They look ok.  But, work the wheels out of the tires, just the black backs and shiny metal pins, might see if I can find a set of black steel wheels.  No photos of mock up though.  Thought I took one or more but apparently did not.  Maybe tomorrow.. 

IMG_20200822_180712521.jpg

IMG_20200822_091753743.jpg

IMG_20200822_171254700.jpg

I am so not good at taking photos while building.  Took this last night.  It's all done except exhaust tips.  The pins on pipes broke off in handling and I need to affix the exhaust tips better than just trying to butt glue.  

Also, the side mirrors are the BEST 2 piece mirrors ever.  However, while gluing, I lost the passenger side head in the car.  I'm imagining it to be CA'd to something up under the dash board.  Lol.  So it will be missing.  I put the stalk on the car first so I could get the head positioned properly.  

So here is the last photo before it will be completed and next time will be under glass.  

IMG_20200825_175327708.jpg

4 hours ago, randyc said:

I am so not good at taking photos while building.  Took this last night.  It's all done except exhaust tips.  The pins on pipes broke off in handling and I need to affix the exhaust tips better than just trying to butt glue.  

Also, the side mirrors are the BEST 2 piece mirrors ever.  However, while gluing, I lost the passenger side head in the car.  I'm imagining it to be CA'd to something up under the dash board.  Lol.  So it will be missing.  I put the stalk on the car first so I could get the head positioned properly.  

So here is the last photo before it will be completed and next time will be under glass.  

IMG_20200825_175327708.jpg

I did almost the exact same thing with the mirrors, but I lost the stem part(drivers side). I ended up using the passenger side mirror on the drivers side, looks a little goofy, but better than nothing.

1 hour ago, doorsovdoon said:

Looking good. Even kits themselves have a carpet monster in them. A few of my models have heater hoses hidden in the engine bay somewhere, nice surprise for a future restorer! "Why'd he glue it there for?" Lol

Coincidentally, where are the heater hoses in this kit?  So many recent kits have had them that I actually went looking and realized there are none in this kit.  

I was so disappointed to lose that mirror head.   They were going together so much better than the 55 - 60 Chevy mirrors.    

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

I did almost the exact same thing with the mirrors, but I lost the stem part(drivers side). I ended up using the passenger side mirror on the drivers side, looks a little goofy, but better than nothing.

I was VERY careful to not lose the stem.   And actually dropped both of them in the carpet under table.   Found them easily though.  Then lost the head.   Dang it.  I still have the stem if you want it.

6 hours ago, randyc said:

Coincidentally, where are the heater hoses in this kit?  So many recent kits have had them that I actually went looking and realized there are none in this kit.  

I was so disappointed to lose that mirror head.   They were going together so much better than the 55 - 60 Chevy mirrors.    

I was VERY careful to not lose the stem.   And actually dropped both of them in the carpet under table.   Found them easily though.  Then lost the head.   Dang it.  I still have the stem if you want it.

I would love to have the stem! If they hadn't put the indentation on the door for the mirror, I wouldn't care that I only had the one.