Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 cables for Tow Trucks?

Looking for recommendations as to where to find metal cable to simulate that used on older model Tow Trucks.  

In this pic, there are two basic sizes: the single thick one going from the winch up through the tow booms, and the fine ones which support the booms at various points.

Online source, or something from a Michael's/Hobby Lobby etc?  Just don't know where to begin looking....

Ii8EiTF.jpg

Get the metal braided wire for hanging paintings on the wall. You need it to have the least amount of stiffness or you cannot get it to hang straight down. Optionally, Go to a fabric store and get the heaviest silver colored cotton thread (or rust color if you are going for that). You can use Elmers to make it dead straight.

I was thinking old guitar strings but they are 1core wire with another coiled tightly around it and wouldn't be accurate. However, you could make your own using thin wire found at hobby stores and twisting them together. Hope this helps.

I would second what James said above. Old guitar strings come in varying thicknesses, and I'm sure one of those could be a reasonable representation of cables.

Find a music store and just pick up a set of the cheapest strings they have. Around here, that's about $6 CDN for a set. Six strings, each about 30 inches long or so.