Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gas caps

I need a supply of gas caps/filler necks for race cars but can't find anyone who makes resin or plastic ones. In the past I've used sprue and had a few caps in my parts box but those are gone. Specifically any oval track car needs some kind of believable looking cap on the rear fender or back of the car and just wondered if anyone has a source or their own way of making scratch made ones. Thanks for your help.

On 10/30/2020 at 5:27 AM, TonyK said:

I need a supply of gas caps/filler necks for race cars but can't find anyone who makes resin or plastic ones. In the past I've used sprue and had a few caps in my parts box but those are gone. Specifically any oval track car needs some kind of believable looking cap on the rear fender or back of the car and just wondered if anyone has a source or their own way of making scratch made ones. Thanks for your help.

Any 1:1 photos of the type of cap you are looking to replicate?

No photos but they're going to be caps from the 60's and 70's mostly. Any time I build circle tracks cars I need to replicate a gas filler and I've run out of extras in my parts box and just can't seem to scratch build one that looks right. That's why I asked if anyone knew of a site that might make some. I see plenty of other parts available but not gas caps.

If you are looking for the quick release style from earlier NASCAR, quite often the clicker end of an ink pen will work.  Just take of a slice of the pen barrel and the clicker section.  A small circle of styrene on the bottom end will usually do the trick.  I am unable to get to my model area right now (broken ankle keeps me out of the basement) or I would try to take some pictures to better illustrate.