Model Cars Magazine Forum

Country music àwards

Ctmodeler

My wife turned it on about ten minutes ago and the first thing that I saw was Justin Beber!! :rolleyes:

So now I'm sitting here talking to you! ;)

I really can't take modern "country music".

All of the women are blonde beauty queens, and the men all sound exactly the same.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

No different than the '60s, '70s, '80s, '90s and '00s. :P

To an extent.

There was no problem distinguishing Hank Williams from Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson.

Likewise, though I suppose that you couldn't call them ugly, Patsy Cline and Tammy Wynette weren't going to win any beauty contests.

Today, regardless of the music genre, all that you need is a pretty face and a fairly good voice to become a star.

No other talent required.

I like to use some of the truly talented people from my generation of rock music as examples of people that would most likely not make it by today's standard of "talent" due to their look and sound.

People like Mick Jagger, Rick Ocasek, Joe Cocker, Alice Cooper or Lemmy Kilmister wouldn't have a chance in hell today, just to name a few.

Not a single melodious voice among them and they were all about as appealing to look at as a hat full of *ssholes! :P

Steve

22 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

All of the women are blonde beauty queens

Then you didn't see what Maren Morris......I said it looked like she just got out of the pool but the wife said nighty and cover up.  Dignity went out the window!

The tributes to Mac Davis (Reba & Darius Rucker) and Charlie Daniels (Jason Aldean) were very good.  We were wondering if the bow for the fiddle player would last The Devil Went Down to Georgia.....

2 minutes ago, HomerS said:

Then you didn't see what Maren Morris......I said it looked like she just got out of the pool but the wife said nighty and cover up.  Dignity went out the window!

Maybe.

But if she looked and sounded like Janis Joplin, you wouldn't even know who she was by today's standards.

The difference is that nobody will ever forget who Janis Joplin was. ;)

Steve

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Maybe.

But if she looked and sounded like Janis Joplin, you wouldn't even know who she was by today's standards.

The difference is that nobody will ever forget who Janis Joplin was. ;)

Steve

I believe that Janis Joplin was one of those people for whom Death was a good career move. 

Many, many times over the years on the Voice/Idol type shows, a judge has said "You remind me of Janis Joplin." I've heard it in them too, but in every case, they sounded much better than Janis Joplin. And were better looking, too. :lol:

34 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I believe that Janis Joplin was one of those people for whom Death was a good career move. 

Many, many times over the years on the Voice/Idol type shows, a judge has said "You remind me of Janis Joplin." I've heard it in them too, but in every case, they sounded much better than Janis Joplin. And were better looking, too. :lol:

I agree.

I've never been a Joplin fan, but my point is that currently, unless you look like a model, your chances in the entertainment business are pretty limited.

Talent is secondary.

The world is full of people that can sing like a bird, but if you look like Steve Buscemi........good luck! :rolleyes:

Steve

I don't follow country music but pretty much am aware of who most of the singers are just because I like to know what's going on in the music world. Have liked some of the people in the past; male and female. Always thought George Strait was good.

Never heard of Maren Morris so I looked her up. Thank you for that!

18 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I don’t understand how Janis Joplin had a music contract. She sounds terrible singing and her biggest hit was wrote by kris kristofferson  Me and Bobby Magee..

On 11/12/2020 at 7:39 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

Today, regardless of the music genre, all that you need is a pretty face and a fairly good voice to become a star.

No other talent required.

Even the good voice isn't really required anymore... there is a reason live shows are full of bright lights, distracting video screens and dance moves: to take away from the lack of musical ability.

Ever hear Taylor Swift sing on one of those award shows? Cute, she may be, but she couldn't carry a tune with a dumptruck and a 40' float trailer. :)

On 11/13/2020 at 4:53 PM, slusher said:

I don’t understand how Janis Joplin had a music contract. She sounds terrible singing and her biggest hit was wrote by kris kristofferson  Me and Bobby Magee..

Janis didn't appeal to those who expected the standard white girl pop sound. She was from Texas and had a unique voice harkening to past black lady blues singers with a rock backing. That was the appeal. She was different than others in that time. People were experimenting with the sound and mixing musical genres. Look at Clairy Browne And The Bangin' Rackettes from Australia. Looks and sounds almost like Amy Winehouse (but not so rail thin) but had a soul type of delivery. Her song "Love Letter" is awesome.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:26 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I agree.

I've never been a Joplin fan, but my point is that currently, unless you look like a model, your chances in the entertainment business are pretty limited.

Talent is secondary.

The world is full of people that can sing like a bird, but if you look like Steve Buscemi........good luck! :rolleyes:

Steve

Oh I don't know. Elle King and Lizzo for instance. Not beauties by any means and Elle King has talent.

On 11/13/2020 at 8:23 AM, TonyK said:

I don't follow country music but pretty much am aware of who most of the singers are just because I like to know what's going on in the music world. Have liked some of the people in the past; male and female. Always thought George Strait was good.

Never heard of Maren Morris so I looked her up. Thank you for that!

I don’t follow new country music, I listen to classic country 70’s 80’s 90’s  and I really like the western sound like Waylon Jennings and I never liked Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn.  I also like my rock music.  

11 hours ago, slusher said:

I don’t follow new country music, I listen to classic country 70’s 80’s 90’s  and I really like the western sound like Waylon Jennings and I never liked Tammy Wynette and Loretta Lynn.  I also like my rock music.  

I agree.

I really have a soft spot for Patsy Cline. ^_^

Steve