Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Jaguar

Mike 1017

Has anyone heard anything about the new Revell Jaguar being released in time for Christmas? After all Christmas is only 21 days away.

Mike

I only wanted to know about the release date of the Jaguar. Not a philosophical debate about the merit's of 1:24 vs 1:25 or minor inaccuracies' .

Luv what you build. Build what you Luv.

Mike

Edited by Mike 1017
wrong word

Just now, Mike 1017 said:

Has anyone heard anything about the new Revell Jaguar being released in time for Christmas? After all Christmas is only 21 days away.

Mike

LOL I was just about to post......Hiroboy has it up on it's site as of sometime this morning. 

https://www.hiroboy.com/124_Jaguar_E_Type_Coupe_Plastic_Kit--product--15574.html

9 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

LOL I was just about to post......Hiroboy has it up on it's site as of sometime this morning. 

https://www.hiroboy.com/124_Jaguar_E_Type_Coupe_Plastic_Kit--product--15574.html

I don't understand Revell's marketing strategy. I know that it will be a big seller in the UK . The US market is many times bigger than the UK. I just checked Model Round Up nothing yet. Wow the British Pound is high vs US Dollar

Edited by Mike 1017
wrong word

7 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

I don't understand Revell's marketing strategy. I know that it will be a big seller in the UK . The US market is many times bigger than the UK. I just checked Model Round Up nothing yet.

Model Roundup has the US rebox for preorder now;  listed as a January release.

https://www.modelroundup.com/Jaguar-XK-E-E-Type-Coupe-p/rmx-4509.htm

RMX-4509-2.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Just now, Mike 1017 said:

I don't understand Revell's marketing strategy. I know that it will be a big seller in the UK . The US market is many times bigger than the UK. I just checked Model Round Up nothing yet.

It's NOT a Revell USA kit....it's a Revell Germany kit. Therefore it's been shipped to the Euro suppliers first. Hiroboy is probably one of the bigger online vendors, they seem to get almost everything in Europe first. 

I assume they'll rebox it for the US market like they normally do with Revell Germany productions. So unless US suppliers are going to be offering the Germany kit, it'll be a later date for the US release....I assume...I've not seen any US box art for this kit yet....but I haven't looked. I'm not really interested in this Jag.

They're getting back into that 1/24 scale thing like they were doing through the '70's/'80's.  Ugh!  What happened to the U.S. market and 1/25th scale?

I know most here would probably say "meh", but then again you have long threads on here about those weird ugly curbside cars from Nunu models. I'd like to see Revell reissue the 1/25th Jaguar XJS snap-kit again. 

It's 1/25th scale, easy to build (so great for younger modelers) and of a body style generation you don't see that often in scale.  The XKE is a timeless classic no doubt.  However, they've been done before especially in 1/24th scale.  The XJS is very well done for a snap kit IMHO.   The best part is, they already have it in their tooling archive.  They could reissue it for very little expense if the tooling is still viable.

2020_12_04_12.53.51.jpg

Edited by the other Mike S.

20 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

They're getting back into that 1/24 scale thing like they were doing through the '70's/'80's.  Ugh!  What happened to the U.S. market and 1/25th scale?

1/25th would make no sense for a product with international appeal like the XK-E/E-Type.  Remember, this is coming from the German part of Revell...the US isn't the primary market for this kit.  

Nothing new being in 1/24th—the recent Land Rover is, recent VW tools, pretty much everything that has originated w/ Revell of Germany.  

Edited by Rob Hall

31 minutes ago, the other Mike S. said:

I know most here would probably say "meh", but then again you have long threads on here about those weird ugly curbside cars from Nunu models. I'd like to see Revell reissue the 1/25th Jaguar XJS snap-kit again. 

It's 1/25th scale, easy to build (so great for younger modelers) and of a body style generation you don't see that often in scale.  The XKE is a timeless classic no doubt.  However, they've been done before especially in 1/24th scale.  The XJS is very well done for a snap kit IMHO.   The best part is, they already have it in their tooling archive.  They could reissue it for very little expense if the tooling is still viable.

2020_12_04_12.53.51.jpg

There is nothing about the Revell Jaguar XJS kit that makes it a preferable option to builders interested in a Jaguar XJS in comparison to the Hasegawa kit. The Hasegawa kit has been offered in street, touring car, and cabriolet versions AND is full detail with a lovely representation of the Jaguar V12. Plus anyone building classic sports cars in this day and age WANTS 1/24th scale so that aftermarket parts - the bulk of which come from either Europe or Japan - actually fit properly. 

1/25th scale is a US domestic aberration and I'm glad Revell under its new ownership is only regarding it as appropriate for US domestic targeted kits. If the new Land Rover or E-Type FHC had been 1/25th scale it would have made them functionally irrelevant to their target audience. 

2 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

There is nothing about the Revell Jaguar XJS kit that makes it a preferable option to builders interested in a Jaguar XJS in comparison to the Hasegawa kit. The Hasegawa kit has been offered in street, touring car, and cabriolet versions AND is full detail with a lovely representation of the Jaguar V12. Plus anyone building classic sports cars in this day and age WANTS 1/24th scale so that aftermarket parts - the bulk of which come from either Europe or Japan - actually fit properly. 

1/25th scale is a US domestic aberration and I'm glad Revell under its new ownership is only regarding it as appropriate for US domestic targeted kits. If the new Land Rover or E-Type FHC had been 1/25th scale it would have made them functionally irrelevant to their target audience. 

How could 1/25th scale be an "aberration" when that scale existed prior to the 1950's here in the U..S.?  Sure, if you want a bunch of quirky weird looking European home spec models or Russian Trabants, then I guess 1/24th scale is for you.  However, here in the U.S. and you like the classic Chevies, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles, Buicks, Cadillacs, Fords, Chryslers, American Motors, etc, 1/25th is the only game in town.

The Hasagawa XJS may have more engine detail than the old Revell 1/25th scale Jaguar XJS snap kit.  However, that side window profile and roof look a little wonky compared to the real car.  Lots of detail for sure, but the body proportion seems off.  Thanks, but no thanks. 

I'll take the much better proportioned 1/25th scale Revell XJS snapkit.  I'd have rather a deads nuts accurate body design with some detail than a super detailed kit that has slightly off body proportions.  I'm not saying the Revell 1/25th scale kit is deads nuts accurate on all accounts, but it sure looks a lot better in the upper roof drip rail side window profile section than the Hasegawa XJS kit.

2020_12_04_15.21.50.jpg

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

With 90%(or more) of the US kits being 1/25 scale, that wouldn't leave too much left! I say, get rid of the silly 1/24!

Apart from all the vehicle kits produced by Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa, Platz/Nunu, Tamiya, Beemax, Belkits, Revell Germany, Heller, Italeri, Airfix, ICM, Ebbro and multi media kits from the likes of Alpha Models, Model Factory Hiro, Hobby Design, USCP, Renaissance, Profil24........

Edited by maltsr

I'll say that the Hasegawa XJS is the Dead Nuts accurate kit. Revell kits of the time frame that the XJS were tooled are notorious for having niggling accuracy issues. I've reading reviews of the Hase kit for many years. Never once seen anybody cheep about the body being wonky. You are the first person who has ever mentioned it to my knowledge. 

2 hours ago, maltsr said:

Apart from all the vehicle kits produced by Aoshima, Fujimi, Hasegawa, Platz/Nunu, Tamiya, Beemax, Belkits, Revell Germany, Heller, Italeri, Airfix, ICM, Ebbro and multi media kits from the likes of Alpha Models, Model Factory Hiro, Hobby Design, USCP, Renaissance, Profil24........

I said US kits(that means kits made in the United States)that's where I am, that's what I build, and where I buy models! I have never bought a kit from ANY of the manufacturers in your little list, and never will, because I build kits of cars that I'm familiar with.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Boy this review really went to left field!

Went from being happy that it was coming out soon - to slamming it for being the wrong scale. 

Good grief guys, can we keep this train on the track?

I wasn't slamming anything for being the wrong scale, I wouldn't  buy it anyway(already have one in 1/25)I was just responding to the clown that thinks that they should get rid of the 1/25 scale kits.

1 hour ago, alexis said:

I'll say that the Hasegawa XJS is the Dead Nuts accurate kit. Revell kits of the time frame that the XJS were tooled are notorious for having niggling accuracy issues. I've reading reviews of the Hase kit for many years. Never once seen anybody cheep about the body being wonky. You are the first person who has ever mentioned it to my knowledge. 

Look carefully at the upper window line where it goes back to the rear quarter window on the Hasegawa kit and compare it to the real car that I posted a pic of.  You still think the Hasagawa kit is exactly like the real car? 

I don't know about you, but there's something wonky about the gentle curve on the upper side window line on the Hasagawa kit compared to the real car .  The real car has a gentle curve to it which gets more noticeable or slanted as it goes back over the rear quarter side window.  The Hasagawa kit looks straighter and doesn't slope as much like the gentle sloped curve on the real car.  It straighter profile gives it a slightly elongated chop top look more so than the real car has.  It's slight, but you can see it plain as day.  The Revell snap kit is much better in this area.

2020_12_04_22.46.08.jpg

2020_12_04_22.47.02.jpg

2020_12_04_22.55.40.jpg

3 hours ago, the other Mike S. said:

I don't know about you, but there's something wonky about the gentle curve on the upper side window line on the Hasagawa kit compared to the real car .  The real car has a gentle curve to it which gets more noticeable or slanted as it goes back over the rear quarter side window.  The Hasagawa kit looks straighter and doesn't slope as much like the gentle sloped curve on the real car.  It straighter profile gives it a slightly elongated chop top look more so than the real car has.  It's slight, but you can see it plain as day. 

I really have no idea what you think you’re seeing, but I don’t see it, and I built the the example you’re using. It’s a bit harsh dissing the accuracy of the kit based on my ability to cut BMF... I can post a pic of the body out of the box it you like and you can take a pop at that. All I can tell you is that when I built and posted this model, at least two people *who own XJ-Ss* said that it looked the part. No kit is perfect, but the Revell kit has so many other deficiencies compared to the Hasegawa that even if there WAS “something wrong with the drip rail line” I’d stick with the one I have. But there ain’t.

best,

M.