Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stef's 2020 Builds - HEAVEN ELEVEN

Stef

On 1/11/2021 at 10:22 AM, larman said:

I really like these. It's almost more like they are art pieces. The flat black technique really emphasizes the shapes, proportion and cleanliness of your builds. I also think it is very clever how you add just a little color here and there so the black does not over power. It truly is a great concept. I could see this type of thing in a gallery setting.

Thank you for your kind words, @larman. Now that you mention it, I suppose they DO have a bit of an art "objet" appearance, as I look at them all on my shelves. Imagine a thousand model cars displayed in a gallery, all arranged by colour. That would be the coolest rainbow ever. We should organize and make it happen.

Would love to see your 2020 builds; post a link if you've got one to share, thanks!

On 1/11/2021 at 10:31 AM, Jantrix said:

You have a very unusual style and as a huge fan of flat colors, I really like it. Love the 66 stocker. It looks like a real beast.

Thank you so much, @Jantrix. Lots of people seem to like the 66, so maybe I can post a few more pics of it.

Love love love your 3100 pickup build for 2020; your weathering, texture, and detailing are just phenomenal. 50% NASCAR, 50% 4x4 wrecker, 50% rat rod... 150% wicked.

1 hour ago, Stef said:

Thank you for your kind words, @larman. Now that you mention it, I suppose they DO have a bit of an art "objet" appearance, as I look at them all on my shelves. Imagine a thousand model cars displayed in a gallery, all arranged by colour. That would be the coolest rainbow ever. We should organize and make it happen.

Would love to see your 2020 builds; post a link if you've got one to share, thanks!

I got 1 built in 2020 and started a few projects. Here is the 1 build: Amt Double Dragster built to match the box art on the 1968 issue.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

7 hours ago, larman said:

I got 1 built in 2020 and started a few projects. Here is the 1 build: Amt Double Dragster built to match the box art on the 1968 issue.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

Dude, this is really nice, @larman! Love how clean she is, with some nice subtle washes and metal toning for a hyper realistic look.

Never built this one, and just did some research on it. Now I want to get it, too! Are you working on the Fiat as well?

31 minutes ago, Stef said:

Dude, this is really nice, @larman! Love how clean she is, with some nice subtle washes and metal toning for a hyper realistic look.

Never built this one, and just did some research on it. Now I want to get it, too! Are you working on the Fiat as well?

I built this Fiat a while back......I still want to do a DD rail and Fiat with the blown Hemi in them. This one has the Chevy.

M-vi.jpg.05037f21efd184b986f103772fbefd4c.jpg

37 minutes ago, larman said:

I built this Fiat a while back......I still want to do a DD rail and Fiat with the blown Hemi in them. This one has the Chevy.

M-vi.jpg.05037f21efd184b986f103772fbefd4c.jpg

Wow, that's hilarious. Saw that image in my research; it really stood out, and I saved it. Love the blue, the dark wheels, whitewalls, and red glass. She's badass.

19 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

Nice builds! Cool with the black and that 66 chevy is sinister!

Thank you, @Mattilacken! Lots of people really like the 66, so here are a few more pics of her. Since the kit's tampo windscreen got destroyed, I did NOT glue the body on. This way, if I ever get another screen, I'll do my best to be more careful.

And post your 2020 builds here if you got em, thanks!

__STEF_2020_BUILDS_07_bonus_01.jpg.155ab518bf0e6d001de509b11fac3ffd.jpg

__STEF_2020_BUILDS_07_bonus_02.jpg.f5e0aa80c1c62e1c214766202c2d90c7.jpg

__STEF_2020_BUILDS_07_bonus_03.jpg.6218bc1351a0495bb279240e9c544a28.jpg

15 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

You have a definite style!  When seeing a model anywhere one would know it was yours!  I’ve enjoyed looking at them!

Ha ha, @Tom Geiger, and thank you. I suppose I've cornered the market on flat black, for sure! Last year, I went to a local airplane model show (for the first time ever), and a random dude comes up to me and asked if I was "The flat black car guy"! I have no idea how he recognized me. Small world!

I'm getting the hang of search around here, and I just discovered your JEEP thread. NOOICE. Have you posted your 2020 models? Would love to see!

7 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

I did not think about the missing windscreen, most likely due to the type of car ? 

here is my 2020

I agree, Mattilacken, the 66 doesn't seem to need a windscreen, though it was the highlight of the kit. A super-thin, half-windshield with silver tampo printed mesh across it, and it looked amazing. I should buy another 66 just for the windscreen!

As for your builds, love 'em both, and welcome back to the hobby after a 15-year hiatus. If you don't mind me asking, what brought you back? Exquisite paintwork and detailing, and I skimmed through your Supra WIP thread to learn more. So sorry about your cabinet accident, though that is a phenomenal rescue effort. And I love your son's builds, too.

16 minutes ago, Stef said:

I agree, Mattilacken, the 66 doesn't seem to need a windscreen, though it was the highlight of the kit. A super-thin, half-windshield with silver tampo printed mesh across it, and it looked amazing. I should buy another 66 just for the windscreen!

As for your builds, love 'em both, and welcome back to the hobby after a 15-year hiatus. If you don't mind me asking, what brought you back? Exquisite paintwork and detailing, and I skimmed through your Supra WIP thread to learn more. So sorry about your cabinet accident, though that is a phenomenal rescue effort. And I love your son's builds, too.

That windshield sounds cool might worth a second kit ?

Thanks! I am a car nut and missed working with fun cars, personal situation does not allow for fun cars at the moment, and this was a substitute. Also i like watching them on my shelf so i guess i missed Cars =D 

Yes it was a bit of a tradgidy with the cabinet and I am verry pleased that i managed to save the supra from what easily had been defeat. Also it feelt good to actualy overcome the obstacle of striping a boddy and repainting it. Painting has always been my least favourite thing with model building, built me a cabinet for that to make it easier. Hehe he is good for being age 5, and now we are doing alot of instruction reading on Lego, quite advanced stuf, so it will be nice to se his progress next time we build a modelt together ?

On 1/14/2021 at 9:18 AM, Mattilacken said:

That windshield sounds cool might worth a second kit ?

Thanks! I am a car nut and missed working with fun cars, personal situation does not allow for fun cars at the moment, and this was a substitute. Also i like watching them on my shelf so i guess i missed Cars =D 

Yes it was a bit of a tradgidy with the cabinet and I am verry pleased that i managed to save the supra from what easily had been defeat. Also it feelt good to actualy overcome the obstacle of striping a boddy and repainting it. Painting has always been my least favourite thing with model building, built me a cabinet for that to make it easier. Hehe he is good for being age 5, and now we are doing alot of instruction reading on Lego, quite advanced stuf, so it will be nice to se his progress next time we build a modelt together ?

Good times, Dude, good times. Your little dude is better at 5 than I was at 10 when I first started! He's in good hands, and Lego is another great area for him to grow, explore, and spend quality time with his Dad. 

As for painting not being your strong suit, I'd have never known. Your finishes and details are crisp and smooth!

On 1/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Yes, @Tom Geiger, I remember seeing these now, and very nice, indeed. I never built the Blue Beetle, Falcon, or 50 Pup, and you've convinced me to build them all.

Particularly love your Jeeps. I do have the blue MOUNT N GOAT Commando reissue in my stash, and while that kit's front end is nice, I'd much prefer to do mine with your Jeep-y front end. Maybe I can attempt some sort of conversion/crash course in brain surgery.

1 minute ago, Stef said:

Particularly love your Jeeps. I do have the blue MOUNT N GOAT Commando reissue in my stash, and while that kit's front end is nice, I'd much prefer to do mine with your Jeep-y front end. Maybe I can attempt some sort of conversion/crash course in brain surgery.

Thank you for your kind comment!

The older Jeepster nose is the most attractive, I don’t like the later version at all! It’s said that Jeep changed it to add length to the nose to accept the AMC straight six engine since older version came with a Jeep four or Jeep / Buick V6.. which is what’s in the kits. 
Olson Brothers used to offer the older body but their mold wore out. Per Chris Olson they intend to again offer their Jeepster parts when they get the time.

it would be very cool (and profitable) for Round 2 to restore this kit back!

3 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

it would be very cool (and profitable) for Round 2 to restore this kit back!

Right you are, @Tom Geiger, ever since Round2 brought the Commando back from the grave, everyone's been begging for the snowplow, the full roof, the middle roof, the 69 grille/body, and all the safari parts. Imagine if they'd release a MEGA version that includes all that. I'd buy a case of 'em.