Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures too large

Super28

31 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Or once you’ve loaded the photo up to this website, and have it visible inside your post, click on it (or press on it on phone) and it will give you options to change photo properties. The most prominent is size. Change that to 600 or less 

Not quite the same.  It doesn't change the size of the jpg file - it simply tells the browser to render it smaller.  That is how I often "shrink" photos to smaller size in a quote to a post.

I hate when people quote others and they don't either delete the photos within the quote, or shrink them visually.  Especially those who quote a post with a dozen of large photos just to resound with "Looks good!" or  similar.  Grrrrr!  They make my finger hurt from needless scrolling!

Edited by peteski

28 minutes ago, peteski said:

Not quite the same.  It doesn't change the size of the jpg file - it simply tells the browser to render it smaller.  That is how I often "shrink" photos to smaller size in a quote to a post.

I hate when people quote others and they don't either delete the photos within the quote, or shrink them visually.  Especially those who quote a post with a dozen of large photos just to resound with "Looks good!" or  similar.  Grrrrr!  They make my finger hurt from needless scrolling!

25 minutes ago, Tom Geiger said:

Agreed Pete! There’s nothing like there being 2 or 3 of these taking up a whole page when the responses are one or two words!

I couldn't agree, more! It is so simple to eliminate those that are not pertinent to your reply!

I pull the picture from my file using Microsoft picture manager, Click 'edit picture' then on the sidebar is 'resize' clicking that I use 'predefined width x height' selecting 'web-large' which reduces picture to size to post that fits, for multiple photos use smaller size, If photos need to remain initial size just copy photo and reduce the copy to place in your post.

greg

I do the same in Irfanview.

First I crop the photo to just the item, eliminating the excess space.  I hate photos with a little tiny model in the middle of a huge photo!  

One trick of getting an in focus photo of a small part is to have your camera / phone photo set to high resolution (very large photo), and take the photo at the distance necessary to get good focus. The crop it down to just what you need in your photo editor, then resize the photo!  

You can drop this on your phone in the iPhone photo function. Pull up a photo. See in the upper right corner it says “Edit”. Click that! New black frame pops up. You will see a bunch of photo editing tools.  Look at bottom right for the icon that’s a box with two circular arrows around it. Click on it. There will now be a frame around your photo. Grab the edge with your finger and holding down, move your finger towards the center of photo. You will see you can easily edit photo from all sides. Mess up? Hit Revert and it will fix the changes you made. 

Then you can resize a photo as you upload it to this site. As you select pictures, notice bottom center of screen it says “actual size”. Once you select one or more photo, click that and it will give you size options.

B6165D91-3B08-451E-BBCD-6AAA518AE8D5.thumb.jpeg.89483cf0800396c4e0e426eba6f875c0.jpeg

C82797E5-BF0F-4F82-A4C8-C414208CA5DA.jpeg.73f8dea4b15e3d7f01ea9834fdf6cc73.jpeg

An example...

Edited by Tom Geiger

On 1/16/2021 at 2:04 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I do the same in Irfanview.

First I crop the photo to just the item, eliminating the excess space.  I hate photos with a little tiny model in the middle of a huge photo!  

B6165D91-3B08-451E-BBCD-6AAA518AE8D5.thumb.jpeg.89483cf0800396c4e0e426eba6f875c0.jpeg

I basically do the same with my photos, but I use Corel PhotoPaint (just another bitmap editor).  I crop first, then "resample" for maximum width of 1200 pixels or less.  I also do not save the file as a high-quality JPG file, but I use medium quality (that reduces the file size with minimal reduction on quality). That makes the photo small enough for posting online, and large enough to still show details. This one is 800 pixels wide.  Its file size is only 68kB.

LtCoin.jpg