Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 DeAgostini 1969 Ford GT40 #6

Ok Fellas, this is just a tiny sneak peak here as I'm doing basically the same car as Brudda elsewhere on the board. As with my Shelby, this will be a VERY long WIP as parts will be coming to me on a subscription basis, well into next year. Looks like they've got some of the kinks worked out as far as shipping as I hadn't received anything for a couple months straight, but now it seems they're back on schedule.

Of course, one thing that's a must do as far as this goes is rubbing out the paint, particularly in the topside of the bodywork. Just a bit too orange peeled for me and of course in my zeal, I rubbed through a very tiny spot near the spare tire compartment. :(

I should have known better to tape that off first before rubbing things out.

Here are a few pics............

P1016844.JPG.68419cf2b12cfd6b1051293d30172d7c.JPG
P1016845.JPG.1efbb1c6f511618946857b287833f8f2.JPG

The passenger's side front fender I was able to rub out as IMO the surface looked way too orange peeled for my tastes. Here's what happened next..........

P1016847.JPG.2379491fd338670fbf0bb898bb25b2f8.JPG

As I was rubbing out the paint near the stripe, you can see the paint rubbed through a tiny bit. One question I have............does anyone know what color Ford called this by name? I can see if I can have it mixed or at worst, mix the paint on my own and try and touch up that spot.

Interesting enough, DeAgostini wants you to download ALL the instructions now. That's all well and good, but there's something to be said by having a 3D copy of the instructions to use. I was able to download the PDF with no problem and I was able to have color copied the pages. However when it came to Packs 3 and 4, the file size was SO BIG, it would not go through to Staples via email to be printed and unfortunately, they don't allow thumbdrives or portable hard drives to be hooked up to transfer files. The best I can do is save them on my hard disc and look at the instructions off my laptop which I dislike. My table is cluttered enough. :rolleyes:

Here's a couple shots from the PDF.........

1075865465_FordGT401.JPG.1181a05b3caf19373d072e61f00032d1.JPG

195243260_FordGT402.JPG.d80aaad1304a32836c87921fd053305d.JPG

That's all I've got for now.......on to rubbing out and polishing the rest of the front end and then move on to those carbs. Whether or not I'll add more detail along the way will remain to be seen. I'll have to dig through my pics and make a judgment and then I'm not all sure what DeAgostini gives you although I can see that it is a bit more detailed than what they did with the Mustang as far as the engine.

Thanks fellas!

Great job Bill! I just left the paint alone . It’s not perfect but race cars are usually a little rough unless it’s a Penske car. So far I have had no issues with mine. I did paint the toggle switches motolow with black. They come gold and look a little toy like. Your gonna have fun!!!!

On 2/17/2021 at 2:16 PM, JohnnyK said:

I agree. I would leave the scuff mark alone. IMHO, the finish on your model looks too clean. Race cars get dirty, especially when they they run on a course like Le Mans.

Mine won't have the "dipped in clearcoat" look. I just don't care for what seems to me excessive orange peel particularly where the light is shining down on it. Yeah, I'll leave the scuffing alone, but just in case there's a mishap (body part falls on the floor, or cat damage), I might pick up a touch-up amount of paint.

On 2/17/2021 at 7:07 PM, Dave B said:

Hi Bill, looking good, colour wise my understanding is Wyer used Triumph Powder Blue.  It is a '50s TR3 colour.

Dave B

I came across references online and it looks like Triumph had that color for their '63 models according to paint chips I saw. Looks very close to what the race cars used in '68 and '69.

On 2/17/2021 at 11:23 PM, Brudda said:

Great job Bill! I just left the paint alone . It’s not perfect but race cars are usually a little rough unless it’s a Penske car. So far I have had no issues with mine. I did paint the toggle switches motolow with black. They come gold and look a little toy like. Your gonna have fun!!!!

Thanks Bruce! I won't do the entire car (too many decals and such), except for those wide areas that jump out at me where the light hits it on the upside. I'm not going to get crazy detailed with this one.......seems as though this looks to be a bit more added engine wise than what they did with their Mustangs. ;)

17 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Mine won't have the "dipped in clearcoat" look. I just don't care for what seems to me excessive orange peel particularly where the light is shining down on it. Yeah, I'll leave the scuffing alone, but just in case there's a mishap (body part falls on the floor, or cat damage), I might pick up a touch-up amount of paint.

I came across references online and it looks like Triumph had that color for their '63 models according to paint chips I saw. Looks very close to what the race cars used in '68 and '69.

Thanks Bruce! I won't do the entire car (too many decals and such), except for those wide areas that jump out at me where the light hits it on the upside. I'm not going to get crazy detailed with this one.......seems as though this looks to be a bit more added engine wise than what they did with their Mustangs. ;)

Hello Bill , I’m not going to get too crazy either. Here is what I did to the interior. Painted the seat belt backer  flat black. Washed the gold seat rings in a black wash, and motolow the toggle switches. ( gold toggle switches?)Then added a little black to the toggles. Added mountings to the fire extinguisher. Painted some of the bolt heads silver. I was informed by Mark from DeAgostini that I am to do the official build for DeAgostini. Starting at pack 11. The person who is supposed to do the build in the UK is very ill. I was drafted into this. Not that I do not like a build, just not under pressure. Anyway Bill if there any issues with the build let me know and I may be able to help . I was supposed to do super details on this build but this has changed. Just a little detail. Pack 11 next. 

63E8DBE0-9182-4991-B09C-21DEEE42119F.jpeg

1755C158-6E0B-4110-BF89-19AEACE1EE26.jpeg

Bruce that is looking really good! Something to definitely use for reference when I get to that point. 👌

I hear ya about building "under pressure'. I've had folks in the past ask me to build a whole kit for them and I've declined because I instantly see it as "work". Something you have to do when you don't want to instead of wanting to do it because you WANT to.

I have to ask are your parts showing up on a regular basis now? Seems as though DeAgostini is back on the right track after getting sidelined because of "world events" last year. As I mentioned, I'm having a terrific issue with Eaglemoss and the 1/8 '55 Mercedes 300SL as I've not gotten regular shipments since June. They finally sent a part that was "out of stock" for months so I can get the chassis on four tires now.

I haven't posted anything on it for the board yet because the shipping has been so dang spotty and there's not a heck of a lot to show yet.