Model Cars Magazine Forum

I just went through some boxes of truck kits in my garage and pulled out this.

20210322_215800.jpg.cc01e3cada5608aa055d77d8243c4c2f.jpg

I remember I won it as a door prize at a kit show many years ago. At the time I wasn't thrilled about it, but it was the only car kit on the table, so it's what I chose.

Looking at it now, I'm pleased that I kept it. I like all the details it includes inside and out. I'm wanting to build it, but because of it's size, I want to do it right!

I plan on keeping the interior as designed, just detailed to make it look it's best. Maybe some velvet to represent shag and lots of wood paneling. 

What I'm at a loss to do is how the outside should be presented. With a canvas of this size, it's going to need something! I'm leaning toward paint panels, maybe some lace and fogged edges. Possibly a small mural on the upper areas behind the doors. A cool name would be a plus!

It's gotta be very seventies in color choices and in themes. But not raunchy, it's going to be on display and I have kids.

Any ideas? I'd like to see vintage pictures from the 70s.

I mean the 1/25 kit isn't too far off, it only has the rear doors open and doesn't have the engine detailing parts, but it does also have a fairly detailed interior, and full chassis and engine. Being 1/16 scale certainly does help this one though and it would be cool to see it released again.

Edited by Jordan White

How about using the kits original decals - while a bit cheesy, I think the graphics are pretty cool (and could represent graphics that were on vans back in the '70s). And G-rated. Maybe besides the decal, do some custom paint effects too.

4 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

If you can hook up with an airbrush artist, this thing is screaming for a mural. Demons, lightning, wizards, half naked viking women riding unicorns while slaying dragons. 

SO much potential on this big blank slate!

I agree. Unfortunately, I haven't spent a lot of time reinforcing my airbrush skills, so decals and masking might have to do.

I'd hate to spend all that time perfecting the body for paint, only to ruin it with airbrushing.

However, I just thought about painting a mural on decal sheet. Hmm, that could work!

I've thought about using something like these for murals

New York Skyline at night

20210324_114627.png.005a27676ba2a20cb42a3c770030354d.png

20210324_114734.png.5fd064c2a228d7d2b215ca9c17e2a13b.png

Las Vegas theme

20210324_114826.png.94092b697dd8e99f6710d7edeb05edc5.png

20210324_115514.png.7cae1833e687f646cfd19b43d0487994.png

20210324_115614.png.b56ec6a9d6b76943c194ca281ab90d5c.png

Thing is, the interior has a very western, saloon look to it. May not work well with the modern New York theme. Might save that for my Visible Van.

For this, maybe an Old West, Cowboy or Ghost Town theme.

Thoughts?