Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Hyundai Pony

martinfan5

1975 Hyundai Pony kit from Academy Models, neat kit, no issues besides the faint door panel lines ,had fun building it, to bad the builder let the kit down 😂 Hyundai Jamica Blue from Scalefinishes for the paint. Seriously, this is a very nicely done kit outside of the panel lines.

*Self inflicted issues, the clear coat is something you'd get from Maaco, the right panel line for the hatch is not straight, not sure what happened there, but I messed it up :D, I removed some chrome from the hubcaps because I thought the chrome would be able to handle removing the aluminum paint, *narrators voice,  he thought wrong.  The side windows were tricky to get in, I fogged the front/rear right by the B-Pillar on the right side.  Lost one of the front fender turn indicators, it freed itself from the tweezers and took flight, thankfully, that parts tree was also done in transparent red, so I painted them with polished aluminum ,then went over it with Tamiya clear orange.

HP1.jpg.306a022976f61dc45b9b5d778e1e536a.jpgHP2.jpg.ee70621804db0c4819cba4d702895322.jpgHP3.jpg.6f22e9505f8a59c0ffab7b09a56716ab.jpgHP4.jpg.00ff35340094ffa931ac41eba4fde677.jpgHP5.jpg.53bb438b65c5576c874af68eaf24671e.jpgHP6.jpg.0abf281289a643006e1c78b04d15b15d.jpgHP7.jpg.7aef0ef270274dc8a0b2a2b2c9cbee04.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

Your model is actually far better than the real thing. I remember going to a car show when these were introduced in Canada. They sold like hot cakes and I even considered trying to get a dealership. The Pony was followed by the Stellar which also sold like hot cakes. Both the Pony and Stellar also rusted faster than any other car back in that era. Hydundai sure finally got their act together with well designed and engineered cars. There is a really nice restored Pony in my city. I did not ask the owner why.

1 hour ago, Phildaupho said:

Your model is actually far better than the real thing. I remember going to a car show when these were introduced in Canada. They sold like hot cakes and I even considered trying to get a dealership. The Pony was followed by the Stellar which also sold like hot cakes. Both the Pony and Stellar also rusted faster than any other car back in that era. Hydundai sure finally got their act together with well designed and engineered cars. There is a really nice restored Pony in my city. I did not ask the owner why.

Haha, Yes I am sure the kit better is engineered than the real thing was, when growing my mom had the 5dr Excel, that to was not a great car.

Edited by martinfan5

Really nice build!

My second car was a 1986 Stellar GSL. Got it in 1992, drove it for a year, and it was bulletproof. Manual trans, manual choke, but power everything, AC, great factory stereo, excellent heater, excellent fuel economy. Unfortunately, I literally rolled it down a mountain, so had to replace it.

These were better than people gave them credit for.