Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trumpeter 1/200 scale "Titanic" model ship..

Deuces ll

We've sold a few of them through my shop. Trumpeter has done a small but growing line of 1/200th scale ships that are absolute monsters. Admittedly, detail wise they're not quite on par with top level 1/350th scale ship kits like those from Very Fire or ICM, or even top level 1/700th scale ship kits like from Flyhawk. But they are very impressive when built and you get quite a lot of kit for your money.

I dont have the Titanic (i want but my wallet says no right now) but i know they have been around in that scale for a few years.
I have the USS missouri in 1/200  it has over 1500 parts but not yet built it because i have no room for it as it will be a bit over 53" long.
It comes with a ton of photoetch for railings and other things. There are detail sets with even more + either tan or blue wood deck available for it.

4 minutes ago, Deuces ll said:

It's a dang shame there isn't that many detailed pictures of the ship or I'd buy one.....

Pics of the Olympic and Brittanic should be able to assist with a lot of the details. I think.

I don't know a lot about boats.

Although, now that I've inherited my dad's stash of boat and aircraft models, I may try one. Which will require some research on my part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

If my calulations are correct, this Titanic kit would be a bit over 35"-inches in length. 

Actually 52.9 something inches long.....🙂 

That be almost 4 and half feet long.....🤗

Edited by Deuces ll

The Titanic has been a lifelong subject of interest. I had just started kindergarten when the wreck was discovered, and I remember the fascination taking hold.

I have this kit, and I’m in the process of amassing the detail upgrade kits and parts from various sources. It has already taken a huge amount of research and materials thus far. 

In the end, many years from today, it’ll probably be the most expensive and time consuming single hobby project I’ll ever take on - but, hopefully, the most rewarding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vincen47 said:

The Titanic has been a lifelong subject of interest. .., and I remember the fascination taking hold.

Me, too, but going further back to some publication (I think it was National Geographic's "Men, Ships, and the Sea" book) in the 1970s that had an artist rendition of what it looked like at an angle in the starlit sky. Then our local newspaper had excerpts of the "Raise the Titanic" book when that one came out, which added to the fascination for me about how Titanic could be seen again. Of course that idea went out the window when it was rediscovered. Been tempted to get one of the kits, but so far I've only gotten a lucky score off ebay for the 'cardboard kit' that's 6 or so feet tall and maybe 3 feet long.

• 2 weeks later...