Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modelhaus phantom ‘61 El Camino

On 8/8/2021 at 8:39 AM, SickBoy said:

One bad ElCo here Steve. The engine bay looks great, just a perfect resto mod build, good work!

Thanks Josh!

On 8/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, bisc63 said:

Very cool; love everything about this! Great use of colors, cool and realistic stance, and that engine bay is SWWWEEEEET!

Hi Rusty, thank you for the kind words sir. 

On 8/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, slusher said:

very very nice 👍 

Much appreciated Carl

On 8/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, ewetwo said:

That is really nice.

Thanks David!

On 8/8/2021 at 5:23 PM, alan barton said:

That looks perfect Steve, a totally believable street machine. The red highlight in the chrome spear really does it for me.

Here in Oz, home of the Ute, AKA El Camino, it was perfectly normal for both Ford and GM to carry over body styling on the lower production utes from one series to another.  So for a 61 to have a 59 / 60 greenhouse is totally in the realms of possibility. EH Holden utes for example, had earlier EJ rear quarter panels and taillights. HR Holden utes had HD quarters and taillights.  And the FB/EK Holdens, with 57 Chevy styling cues, got the entire rear of the FC/FE ute that had a body style reminiscent of the 55 Chevies - in other words, it looked like they cut an earlier body and a later body in half and joined them together!

So this combination could well have happened if GM had continued the line onto the 61-64 Chevies. In fact, if sales of the 59/60 were lower than expected, it would have been economically advisable!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, man, I love the wealth of knowledge on this forum! I think Modelhaus did a great job on this kit, the ‘59 greenhouse has a bit more of a “truck” look and definitely doesn’t look out of place. I do wish there were some affordable options for the Aussie Utes, I’d buy several of them, old and new. I have a plan for a modern Ute/ Elky rattling around in my brain that I will build sometime in the future. 
Thanks for sharing that info, and thanks for the compliments. 

Cheers, Steve

On 8/14/2021 at 7:11 AM, Steve H said:

Hi Sam, do you have a WIP thread on that? I’m always in on El Camino builds.

Sorry Steve, no wip...yet.  I cannot figure out when a wip is motivation,  or the kiss of death. Here is where I am at. I am being held up with the bmf. I have no idea why I love the era of excess...right up 'till foil time. I need to source a set of pe Elcamino badges, instrument decals, and a decal sheet of seat patterns I heard about.  It has 59 Caddy wheels and engine.

20210815_124712.jpg

3 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

Sorry Steve, no wip...yet.  I cannot figure out when a wip is motivation,  or the kiss of death. Here is where I am at. I am being held up with the bmf. I have no idea why I love the era of excess...right up 'till foil time. I need to source a set of pe Elcamino badges, instrument decals, and a decal sheet of seat patterns I heard about.  It has 59 Caddy wheels and engine.

20210815_124712.jpg

Hi Sam !  That ‘59 looks awesome! Love those huge horizontal fins. That’s a beautiful colour combo, is that Tamiya light pearl blue?  Very similar to an old GM factory colour. My dad had a ‘62 Impala that colour. I hear you on the WIP’s, sometimes motivating, other times ….  Foil, I have to be in the right frame of mind, and not in a hurry. A glass of wine helps too!! Look forward to seeing that under glass when you get all the bits required. 

Cheers, Steve

On 8/15/2021 at 4:11 PM, Steve H said:

Hi Sam !  That ‘59 looks awesome! Love those huge horizontal fins. That’s a beautiful colour combo, is that Tamiya light pearl blue?  Very similar to an old GM factory colour. My dad had a ‘62 Impala that colour. I hear you on the WIP’s, sometimes motivating, other times ….  Foil, I have to be in the right frame of mind, and not in a hurry. A glass of wine helps too!! Look forward to seeing that under glass when you get all the bits required. 

Cheers, Steve

It's a gm color from Duplicolor.  DSGM302 Light blue metallic. 

On 8/18/2021 at 1:29 PM, grodudulle77 said:

Very neat job, awesome look !! 👍😀

Thank you Philippe! One of my favourite things about this forum is the global community we have. Nice to hear from you. 
My wife and I are hoping to visit your beautiful country sometime in the next couple of years. Wine country!!

Cheers, Steve

• 2 months later...