Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff

JJ Deuce

Ok here is where im at, I got the contents out of the box.😄

iwA2O9W.jpg

Waiting for a parcel to arrive, finger's crossed it's tomorrow. Then I can finalize and lay out the plan.

Edited by Cool Hand
  • Like 2

Alright so the parcel arrived with a donor kit for its engine.

dHQw5BD.jpg

Also will be using the Foose kit to get some ideas for a new scratch built frame, as I want the new build to have a very low stance.

Did think about using the FD-100 frame, engine and running gear. But couldnt bring myself to part out the kit.

juJ0aN5.jpg

Wheel's ive already shown, paint will obviously be same as the original build.

qc9MZeG.jpg

Got most of the body parts of the tree's and done a bit clean up work removing nub marks etc. Now its ready for some temporary and sub assembly.

afhKzX6.jpg

Here you can see why I was thinking about using the Foose frame. Very close when you compare the two.

0eleiFj.jpg

0DjbY1w.jpg

69s1k4k.jpg

But me being me and a glutten for my own punishment, I will prefer to build my own frame to suit the new engine, lowered ride height and Pegasus wheels.

So basically my plan for the replica is. 

The exterior will look the same as the original build except for a lowered stance and new wheels.

Interior will remain same colour, but will be changed up with some new parts. More on that when I get to it, as I havent quite worked out plan for it yet.

And as mentioned new chassis/frame, engine and running gear.

It's going to be a fun challenge.

• Like 3

apologies for not posting any pics yet.  Dealing with a perfect storm of work and family stuff.  I should be able to

get out to the model cave this evening and make some progress though

• Like 1

Was just reviewing the early posts. Evidently the build started Sep 15 and will end March 15. Still plenty of time. 

I've got a couple other things to finish up before I can start on the Riv, but am really looking forward to getting started. 

Was just looking at an Under Glass Meyers Manx and realized, I could/should do one of those too. I had one almost finished in late 1968 and then it got tragically destroyed. I'd like to build another one exactly the same way except for the paint. The first one I did in Testor green metalflake. This time around I'll do it in Krylon Sparkle Green, which is a bit lighter but still plenty "metalflaky." 

Finally got a chance to dig in.  Fortunately this kit is pretty simple.  I started assembling the engine.  I went with the 427 SOHC option (which was the main reason I bought the kit when I was a kid.  I wanted that engine for a ‘56 Ford truck I was building). 

not getting carried away, just cleaned up all the flash and got the block and heads, bell housing, transmission and intake manifold assembled. I’ll do a little more cleanup in the seams and joints once everything has dried for a bit.  

48D19388-B4E4-45AC-BFE8-D7215DD64321.jpeg

F38CACBF-995C-4842-A345-B6CB7BEE92F2.jpeg

D1D2FEFD-4CBD-491B-BF32-2A030843A65B.jpeg

• Like 1