Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff

JJ Deuce

14 hours ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Quick Question:

MUST it be a car? I only recently (ish) started cars, but aircraft is something I can go back to?

Now that's an interesting twist! There have been a bunch of the old Revell model airplanes I built as a kid reissued lately, and I've bought some of them. 

Sooooo is that a no to only cars? The newer revell aircraft are just re pops, no new moulds. I have done a few of them, the Corsair being my favourite. That one however is such a pain to get the wings to sit right, so I would advise caution when looking at Revell aircraft. Love them still, but a little difficult.

14 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

Sooooo is that a no to only cars? The newer revell aircraft are just re pops, no new moulds. I have done a few of them, the Corsair being my favourite. That one however is such a pain to get the wings to sit right, so I would advise caution when looking at Revell aircraft. Love them still, but a little difficult.

You’re certainly welcome to join with an airplane 

Sorry I hadn’t responded.  Taking a few days vacation and hadn’t checked this thread

1 hour ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

The newer revell aircraft are just re pops, no new moulds. I have done a few of them, the Corsair being my favourite. That one however is such a pain to get the wings to sit right, so I would advise caution when looking at Revell aircraft. 

If you're talking about the ex-Monogram 1/48 F4U-4, the wing fit is the LEAST of that kit's problems! :lol: Yah, I've done a few of them. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of the ancient Revell box-scale kits of the '50s. I think I have the F-89 Scorpion and the B-25 on hand, both of which I built as a kid. Would be a blast to do either of those again. Of course I wouldn't really want to do a "replica" of how I built them when I was 6 or 8 years old; I'd have to at least lay a halfway decent paint job on them....

12 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

If you're talking about the ex-Monogram 1/48 F4U-4, the wing fit is the LEAST of that kit's problems! :lol: Yah, I've done a few of them. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of the ancient Revell box-scale kits of the '50s. I think I have the F-89 Scorpion and the B-25 on hand, both of which I built as a kid. Would be a blast to do either of those again. Of course I wouldn't really want to do a "replica" of how I built them when I was 6 or 8 years old; I'd have to at least lay a halfway decent paint job on them....

Ah ahaha yeah the corsair is a little... finicky.

I did the 1/48 B17G. Hand painted it too... man I think I got carpal tunnel from that.

I was thinking of doing an airfix 1/72 paul boultan defiant, but maybe I should do one of my old revell ones...

You should pick one of those and do that. Get a little variation in this group/community build (not that cars a bad thing)

3 minutes ago, Ceaser_Salad said:

I was thinking of doing an airfix 1/72 paul boultan defiant, but maybe I should do one of my old revell ones...

You should pick one of those and do that. Get a little variation in this group/community build (not that cars a bad thing)

I never built any BP Defiants as a kid, so couldn't build one for this group build. I was heavily into 1/72 airplanes around 1963-65 or so, but I was mainly a Revell WARBIRD! kid. Only Airfixes I can remember building right now were the B-17G, the DH Mosquito, and the Bf 110. Hmmmmm....

Another possibility might be the Monogram box-scale Piper Tri-Pacer. I've got a couple of those, unbuilt, in the stash, and I definitely built one as a kid....

3 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I never built any BP Defiants as a kid, so couldn't build one for this group build. I was heavily into 1/72 airplanes around 1963-65 or so, but I was mainly a Revell WARBIRD! kid. Only Airfixes I can remember building right now were the B-17G, the DH Mosquito, and the Bf 110. Hmmmmm....

Another possibility might be the Monogram box-scale Piper Tri-Pacer. I've got a couple of those, unbuilt, in the stash, and I definitely built one as a kid....

Oh the Piper would be cool! Could do a hot rod piper XD

2 hours ago, JJ Deuce said:

Went ahead and dug into this kit.  I’m pretty excited for this build.  I had a sealed one and then found a deal on this one that was open but complete.  

3B813B83-33C1-49E9-9136-FE0B40155669.jpeg

How I envy you! I'm trying to piece together a Dyno Don Maverick out of a "distressed" promo and various random kit parts. I have everything I need, basically, but have to cut the hood out of the promo body and then replace one missing A-pillar. 

• Like 1

Alright, my entry is going to be the Revell 1:48 P51.

This is a kit that I fondly remember, and I still have my original. This may sound like yesterday for most of you, but I made this one about 6 years ago. But considering I have only been modelling since 6 years ago, this is one of my earliest models. At the time I made it, it was one of my best. I was super into aircraft and this alongside the F4U was a favourite.

I want to do some aftermarket stuff with this, as I have never done that before and I think it would greatly improve what I have here. From my 6 years of experience, I really think I can make a replica about 10x better than this one.

IMG_4854.JPG.b7055a09f76dfb15fef342c8f9658f98.JPGIMG_4855.JPG.67a00e24006bf1e7591c1bfbc3f46ee8.JPGIMG_4856.JPG.e89502167bc692cfafe3d4afa8261b93.JPGIMG_4857.JPG.8ed1c10e2c3ed31f5bb17c53fde282f6.JPGIMG_4858.JPG.94dc3f79d2615058115cc01c963476f7.JPG

If this build off is for prizes, I won't win. But I don't care, I love the idea of getting a chance to redo something of my past and showing off the increase of skill I have had in 6 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I know the first challenge to this build is gonna be mold lines... to remove or not to remove is the question? 🤔 I know 10 years old me didn't even know they existed 😆 I want to build it exactly like the original but do apply my advanced knowledge to the build to an extent? ...

38 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

Well, I know the first challenge to this build is gonna be mold lines... to remove or not to remove is the question? 🤔 I know 10 years old me didn't even know they existed 😆 I want to build it exactly like the original but do apply my advanced knowledge to the build to an extent? ...

An interesting question.

I had a vision of building a replica of Dave Shuklas’ Bobtail Cat but using modern materials and kits. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, disconovaman said:

My understanding is to build it the same basic way you did back when, BUT make it BETTER. That means removing seams and mold lines, better paint, and so forth. 

• Like 1

My goal is to build a model for the shelf that looks a lot like what I remember.  I know I didn’t plumb the engine compartment or foil the chrome trim back then.  

i don’t plan on wiring this one either, but I’ll prep everything and give it a good paint job, and either use foil or molotow for the chrome.  I got some decals from a fellow forum member some time ago that match those I used on the original.  

looking forward to kicking off next week! 

Ok looks like I may have a line on a kit from a fellow board member.

Now my question is, do we have to build it as it was....Im assuming mine was box stock, likely not painted, and pretty much a gluebomb I'm am sure, or can we do something different? I plan on using the same decals the box art has but I'm not a fan of the huge hood scoop this thing comes with or the side exhausts. I'm thinking more of a mild restomod like I saved a really badly done street racer from the crusher. 

CA136193-698F-4695-9C12-FD3F95CC6480.jpeg.7115cdb20e6206ab86f9e4d3dacdeec4.jpeg

Me at my workbench when I was 12 or 13… note the model behind me…

03F80376-E064-49F6-86B6-2D61355EE227.jpeg.94a2bd70f5121bdc45f89fe98c8c599a.jpeg

I was so proud of that thing!  The chassis was a rectangle of spruce. The body was cardboard that I got shiny by coating it with nail polish, brushed on of course. Then I gave it the woody effect with match sticks.

I don’t remember what engine or chassis components went on it. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Here's the posted rule: 

"choose a kit that you built at some point in the past, whether you still own it or not, and take another shot at it.  Make it the same, or better, or whatever suits you."

Thanks Snake.....I missed that when I read back through. So my plan will work.

Back in the late 70's I built the 'Early Iron' boxing of the Monogram '29 Ford Roadster Pickup in silver with green fenders which was one of the first US made car kits that I built as up to then the car models that I'd built were mainly 1/32 Airfix kits. While I don't have that kit in the stash all the parts to build a replica were included in the 'Blue Bandito' kit that was issued a few years ago. I actually bought two when it came out so that I could build both versions so this buildoff seemed a good opportunity to build it.

• Like 1