Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replica buildoff

JJ Deuce

Alright so the parcel arrived with a donor kit for its engine.

dHQw5BD.jpg

Also will be using the Foose kit to get some ideas for a new scratch built frame, as I want the new build to have a very low stance.

Did think about using the FD-100 frame, engine and running gear. But couldnt bring myself to part out the kit.

juJ0aN5.jpg

Wheel's ive already shown, paint will obviously be same as the original build.

qc9MZeG.jpg

Got most of the body parts of the tree's and done a bit clean up work removing nub marks etc. Now its ready for some temporary and sub assembly.

afhKzX6.jpg

Here you can see why I was thinking about using the Foose frame. Very close when you compare the two.

0eleiFj.jpg

0DjbY1w.jpg

69s1k4k.jpg

But me being me and a glutten for my own punishment, I will prefer to build my own frame to suit the new engine, lowered ride height and Pegasus wheels.

So basically my plan for the replica is. 

The exterior will look the same as the original build except for a lowered stance and new wheels.

Interior will remain same colour, but will be changed up with some new parts. More on that when I get to it, as I havent quite worked out plan for it yet.

And as mentioned new chassis/frame, engine and running gear.

It's going to be a fun challenge.

• Like 3

Was just reviewing the early posts. Evidently the build started Sep 15 and will end March 15. Still plenty of time. 

I've got a couple other things to finish up before I can start on the Riv, but am really looking forward to getting started. 

Was just looking at an Under Glass Meyers Manx and realized, I could/should do one of those too. I had one almost finished in late 1968 and then it got tragically destroyed. I'd like to build another one exactly the same way except for the paint. The first one I did in Testor green metalflake. This time around I'll do it in Krylon Sparkle Green, which is a bit lighter but still plenty "metalflaky." 

Finally got a chance to dig in.  Fortunately this kit is pretty simple.  I started assembling the engine.  I went with the 427 SOHC option (which was the main reason I bought the kit when I was a kid.  I wanted that engine for a ‘56 Ford truck I was building). 

not getting carried away, just cleaned up all the flash and got the block and heads, bell housing, transmission and intake manifold assembled. I’ll do a little more cleanup in the seams and joints once everything has dried for a bit.  

48D19388-B4E4-45AC-BFE8-D7215DD64321.jpeg

F38CACBF-995C-4842-A345-B6CB7BEE92F2.jpeg

D1D2FEFD-4CBD-491B-BF32-2A030843A65B.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Update time:
I have worked on the cockpit a bit. I can't do too much until my extra parts arrive from Russia... that will take time.
I drilled some holes into the battery/radio and added some wires. I tried to make it look like the rubberish coating on the floor had been scratched away with feet.
Still more to come

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Attached the grille and headlight fascia.

kI05T9e.jpg

After taking some measurements from the stock frame was able to start laying out and planning the chassis/frame. Decided to use the 23' CL's and settled on the ride height which lead to the need for rear wheels tubs. So bit more measuring and using a masking tape template was able remove some material from the bed floor and side walls for the tubs and then check clearance with the wheels. So far is good. 

N2HqP1B.jpg

Not too low just right.

19SlpXm.jpg

• Like 1

Can I get in on this? I don’t have the original that I built but it was the old Monogram 70 Boss429 2n1 kit(white car on box) and I have a newer Motor-City Muscle issue that be been looking for a reason to start(like I don’t have enough started already 🙄)

3727180B-F692-4324-91CA-85B08A37548F.png

DECBF0BD-49CC-4D41-ABD4-D0FCA6147325.jpeg

Actually, if it's OK with JJ, I'd like to switch kits.

Still a van but it's the Ford "Vantom" reissue. I already had painted it a couple years ago so it's a bit less work to finish up than starting a whole new kit.

Also it fits in this build off as it was always going to be a copy of one I had built back in the early '80s.

The only difference will be the wheels. I had used the plated "aluminum" wheels from the AMT '79 Bronco on it. Pretty hard to come by now so I'm substituteing the shutom wheels from the AMT '69 Torino/Cobra sas they're the same style and very close to what I originally used. I'm even using those old AMT 2-peice hard vinyl big n' little tires on it.

Vantom, AMT T418 (1977)

3 hours ago, Keef said:

Can I get in on this? I don’t have the original that I built but it was the old Monogram 70 Boss429 2n1 kit(white car on box) and I have a newer Motor-City Muscle issue that be been looking for a reason to start(like I don’t have enough started already 🙄)

3727180B-F692-4324-91CA-85B08A37548F.png

DECBF0BD-49CC-4D41-ABD4-D0FCA6147325.jpeg

Sounds good!  Welcome

aboard

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Actually, if it's OK with JJ, I'd like to switch kits.

Still a van but it's the Ford "Vantom" reissue. I already had painted it a couple years ago so it's a bit less work to finish up than starting a whole new kit.

Also it fits in this build off as it was always going to be a copy of one I had built back in the early '80s.

The only difference will be the wheels. I had used the plated "aluminum" wheels from the AMT '79 Bronco on it. Pretty hard to come by now so I'm substituteing the shutom wheels from the AMT '69 Torino/Cobra sas they're the same style and very close to what I originally used. I'm even using those old AMT 2-peice hard vinyl big n' little tires on it.

Vantom, AMT T418 (1977)

Sounds good!  

OK, so, I actually painted this back a couple years ago when it was first reissued with the intentions right along of recreating the one I had built back around '80/'82.

I wasn't happy with the paint then, couldn't get a shine on it but after a few years drying, it polished up pretty good.

Black paint was clear coated after the decals were applied. The decals in the new kit are a lot less transparent then the originals were back then. Interior will be dark red but I'm going to skip the red velour I used on the seats and the rest of the inside this time.🙄

The one big difference will be the wheels. I originally used the chrome wheels in the AMT '79 Bronco but they're pretty hard to come by now so I'm using the custom wheels from the AMT '69 Torino/Cobra. They look pretty close to the ones  from the Bronco. I am using a set of the 2-peice tires the same as came in the original kit though. 

I'm also lowering the thing about a scale 2 inches all around.

2v2aRvcrzx2A694.jpg

2v2aRvcjox2A694.jpg

2v2aRvc82x2A694.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

OK, so, I actually painted this back a couple years ago when it was first reissued with the intentions right along of recreating the one I had built back around '80/'82.

I wasn't happy with the paint then, couldn't get a shine on it but after a few years drying, it polished up pretty good.

Black paint was clear coated after the decals were applied. The decals in the new kit are a lot less transparent then the originals were back then. Interior will be dark red but I'm going to skip the red velour I used on the seats and the rest of the inside this time.🙄

The one big difference will be the wheels. I originally used the chrome wheels in the AMT '79 Bronco but they're pretty hard to come by now so I'm using the custom wheels from the AMT '69 Torino/Cobra. They look pretty close to the ones  from the Bronco. I am using a set of the 2-peice tires the same as came in the original kit though. 

I'm also lowering the thing about a scale 2 inches all around.

2v2aRvcrzx2A694.jpg

2v2aRvcjox2A694.jpg

2v2aRvc82x2A694.jpg

Those wheels will look great on that van. I’ve almost pulled the trigger on a couple of van kits lol