Model Cars Magazine Forum

MI, WI, MN, IL shows coming up?

hedotwo

9 hours ago, hedotwo said:

I go to this site occasionally as it has the Waukesha link to the Milwaukee Miniature show that I try and make twice a year.  Closest show to me even though it's a 4 hour drive.  Really miss shows 😒

Thanks Casey

Same here. The Serb Hall show seems unlikely as the building is still for sale. Fingers crossed the Model Empire open house happens this year, but wouldn't bet on that, either.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Same here. The Serb Hall show seems unlikely as the building is still for sale. Fingers crossed the Model Empire open house happens this year, but wouldn't bet on that, either.

I try and stop at Model Empire when we visit our daughters in Menomonee Falls, but I've yet to go to their open house.  What's it like?  Are there other vendors like a swap meet?  I've also started stopping at Hiawatha Hobbies in Waukesha...  mostly train stuff but they have a super selection of tools/paints/supplies.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:52 AM, hedotwo said:

I try and stop at Model Empire when we visit our daughters in Menomonee Falls, but I've yet to go to their open house.  What's it like?  

Basically, you line up outside, they open the doors at noon, and people rush in with the hope of finding that uber rare 19xx AMT annual built up model for $76.00. They have parts bags, containers filled with tires, storage bins with bumpers, engine parts, etc. to dig through, old built models with their boxes, some without boxes, decal sheets, and so on. You should definitely make the trip. Lunch is on me. 

22 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Was just at Model Empire earlier this week and was told there will be a open house/rummage this year in November, no date yet.  

Depends upon the Packers schedule. 😁 I'm guessing (hoping) it'll be the first Sunday in November, as they have traditionally done for the last few years (save for 2020).

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Basically, you line up outside, they open the doors at noon, and people rush in with the hope of finding that uber rare 19xx AMT annual built up model for $76.00. They have parts bags, containers filled with tires, storage bins with bumpers, engine parts, etc. to dig through, old built models with their boxes, some without boxes, decal sheets, and so on. You should definitely make the trip. Lunch is on me. 

I've been to those types of shows where it's worse than Black Friday when the doors open 😉

I'll keep your offer in mind Casey...  free is always good. 

• 4 weeks later...

In my area, the NORDICON show is on Saturday, September 25th, in Inver Grove Heights MN.

Still haven't heard, but the "Hope it Don't Snow" show is usually in Rochester MN sometime in February.

Both of these are IPMS events, so there's a lot more planes and tanks than automobiles, but we can ignore those. :D

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 5:57 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

In my area, the NORDICON show is on Saturday, September 25th, in Inver Grove Heights MN.

Still haven't heard, but the "Hope it Don't Snow" show is usually in Rochester MN sometime in February.

Both of these are IPMS events, so there's a lot more planes and tanks than automobiles, but we can ignore those. :D

Steve

Wouldn't you know....  I just saw your post Steve and I could've probably made it (3.5 hour drive) had I seen this before this morning 🤦‍♂️.  I'll make myself a reminder for the Rochester show in February.  That one is a 4.5 hour drive but if the weather cooperates I'd maybe give it a shot.  A long driving day isn't bad when you're retired and if I could pick up a few things from my want list(s) would make it even easier 😉

Thanks for posting Steve