Model Cars Magazine Forum

Original 1/25 AMT Cobra - wheel and tire questions

Hope I'm posting this in the right place?

I have an original, mid 60's issue of AMT's early Cobra (kit #2170-150) that I'd like to build into a narrow body, non side pipe 289 street Cobra similar to this car, CSX 2075.   This build isn't at the head of my que at this point and I'm just doing initial research right now as I've never built a Cobra before.

CSX-2075.png.fea5eaff40aa4c9243babe4ffb6203cd.png

My kit is complete and has blackwall Firestone Supreme tires in the box?  The Firestone tires don't look right for a Cobra and seem more suited to a Galaxie or other non-sports car.

My questions:  

What are the wheels on CSX 2075 above considered?

I've also looked over the kits stock alloy wheels, which I think are 'Kidney Beans'?  Are the kit version considered accurate?  If so, what is my best source for 4 correctly sized tires to use with them?    

Any other things that I should acquire to make it more accurate?   The kits exhaust headers don't look right and so will be replaced.   The headlight bezels also look wrong..

TIA

Andrew

Edited by Left Coast Modeler

19 minutes ago, Left Coast Modeler said:

Hope I'm posting this in the right place?

I have an original, mid 60's issue of AMT's early Cobra (kit #2170-150) that I'd like to build into a narrow body, non side pipe 289 street Cobra similar to this car, CSX 2075.

CSX-2075.png.fea5eaff40aa4c9243babe4ffb6203cd.png

My question is:   What are the wheels on CSX 2075 above considered?

Those are American Racing Equipment Torq-Thrust D style wheels. The AMT '55 Chevy Nomad kit contains two 14"(?) versions, but the pictured wheels may be 15", as there appear to be disc brakes fore and aft?

The kit tires you have are generic tires which AMT included, and not great for a Cobra.

Not how the spokes are curved, to allow for disc brake caliper cleanace:

TT_D_4.5_500x840.jpg.baeded0e21c2b01037b8cde8a06afd13.jpg

Different view. Tires have that vintage Dunlop/European tire look/tread pattern so maybe someone here can ID them and/or suggest a source:

63-Shelby-289-Cobra-DV-17-RMM-01-800.jpg.b11924055d5563f81718d5345ba67d28.jpg

Edited by Casey

1 minute ago, Left Coast Modeler said:

Thanks for that info Casey.  Are you aware of any aftermarket sets with correct tires for a Cobra?

Not with this wheel and tire combo. Do you know which brand, model, and size the tires are? All I can make out of the raised sidewall lettering is "_ _ _ _ _  CLASSIC"

Thanks for the additional info guys. 

Did some further research and in looking at the sprues, it appears that the current Revell EU "62 Shelby Cobra 289" (# 07669) is the old AMT kit with additional sprues that were tooled later by others (Sunny/Academy/Revell)?. The body & parts tree breakdown appear to be exactly the same. The new bits include some nice looking Goodyear tires, Halibrand knock offs, better headers (and side pipes, which would go in my spares box) + other usable bits.  Will have to keep my eyes open for one of those.

I'm a slow builder that puts a lot of time and effort into making each 'project' an accurate representation of the subject matter - stance, alignment, small scratchbuilt details, color choice, etc., so any thoughts you were willing to share re the AMT/Sunny kit would be appreciated AFX. 

As I mentioned, this one isn't at the head of the que right now.  I've been going through my stash and 'thinning the herd' of late and the Cobras came up - sold my Monogram 427 kit but decided to hold onto the 289 and eventually build it as I far prefer the look of the narrow body Cobras.

16 minutes ago, Left Coast Modeler said:

Did some further research and in looking at the sprues, it appears that the current Revell EU "62 Shelby Cobra 289" (# 07669) is the old AMT kit with additional sprues that were tooled later by others (Sunny/Academy/Revell)?. 

Thanks Casey.  So it is the Sunny kit, which I've never had (or even looked over closely), so I was not aware of the shortcomings of.  

If I could find a Revell '62 kit at a good price, it'd be worthwhile and less expensive then buying a number of aftermarket sets to get suitable tires & wheels, better engine parts, etc. + the kit decal looks to be quite nice with clear instrument faces, accessory decals, etc.

I've seen the Monogram Ultimate Cobra and agree it is beautiful.  The '67 Corvette 427 convertible from that series is also really nice. 

I actually do build 1:43 cars.   This is my Heller Renault 4CV from awhile back.  

1746212919_heller_Renault4CV.jpg.ef712f047f474a0577213981c13822d0.jpg

Most of those Heller 1:43 car kits are actually quite nice - well engineered and with very 'scale' detailing.  They're quite buildable, as long as you're patient and willing to pin joints and such.  Nothing French is 'shake-n-bake' Tamigawa easy.    Stay away from their Renault R30 TS though.  

Yes, I do like those older, obscure European models. 😉

14 hours ago, Left Coast Modeler said:

I'm a slow builder that puts a lot of time and effort into making each 'project' an accurate representation of the subject matter - stance, alignment, small scratchbuilt details, color choice, etc., so any thoughts you were willing to share re the AMT/Sunny kit would be appreciated AFX. 

My build threads, they might give you some ideas:

Edited by afx

17 hours ago, afx said:

My build threads, they might give you some ideas:

Really nice work there JC.  I've saved a bunch of the detail photos from the Sebring roadster build for general reference.   Thanks again for posting them.

Re that thread, as Perry's Resin no longer sell their wheel/tire sets, any suggestions on finding correct looking tires?   Would the HRM Halibrand wheel & tire set be a good choice?   I've never built a Cobra before so don't have much of anything suitable in my spares box.

6 hours ago, Left Coast Modeler said:

Really nice work there JC.  I've saved a bunch of the detail photos from the Sebring roadster build for general reference.   Thanks again for posting them.

Re that thread, as Perry's Resin no longer sell their wheel/tire sets, any suggestions on finding correct looking tires?   Would the HRM Halibrand wheel & tire set be a good choice?   I've never built a Cobra before so don't have much of anything suitable in my spares box.

Thanks Andrew.  The wheels are from HRM, the tires where from Perry's Resin.  However HRM offers the same Dunlop tires.

FYI, Carol Shelby was a Goodyear dealer.  Therefore the Dunlops are not accurate.  However they were the best tire I could find to represent that time period, 1963.

IMG_4995_1024x1024.JPG?v=1488921124IMG_4980_1024x1024.JPG?v=1489547098DSCN4362

Edited by afx