Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are there any nice replacement OEM/stock tires for the Monogram 1970 Chevelle SS?

I am looking at starting the Monogram 1983 issue 1970 Chevelle SS kit and I want to build it factory stock. The tires are ok, but the tread pattern is not great. Are there any better ones out there in 1/24 scale? The ones in the kit are GY GT Radials and seem a little too wide for stock. If I decide to build the car and there are no other options, I will use a set of unlettered tires from a later issue ( which are the same tire without markings) and use Fireball white letter decals on them. 

7 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

What about the GY Polyglas tires in the AMT Parts Pack? There was also a nice set in one of the MPC wheel and tire sets. I can't remember if it was the Cragars or the Keystones. 

Those are 1/25 though, aren't they? 

45 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

The AMT tires are. But, there are two different sizes IIRC. The bigger size should be fine for a 1/24 Chevelle. The MPC tires are 1/24. But, they're getting pretty scarce and expensive. 

I have both the AMT tires and a MRC set with Keystones. I'll check and see if they work. Thanks!

5 hours ago, larman said:

I have both the AMT tires and a MRC set with Keystones. I'll check and see if they work. Thanks!

The L60-15(?) AMT Goodyear Polyglas GT tires would probably work in 1/24 scale, as the stock tires for a '70 Chevelle SS are only 14" anyway.

The MRC tires are nowhere close to stock, no matter which (M/T Indy Profile, Firestones. etc.) you choose.

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The treads on the tires are the LEAST of that kit's problems. :blink:

Seriously, the tires are one of that kit's best features. It's one of very few that include the BIG GT Radials, as well as a nice set of big 1/24 slicks. 

I know it is a simplified kit with "issues" but I want to build it as nicely as I can. It is kind of nostalgic because I had this kit when I was a kid. The one I have is the molded in red, 1983 issue so it is a stock only version and doesn't have the big tires or slicks. At some point, I want to combine the Revell snap '70 SS and a Revell '68 or '69 SS to build a more correct '70 SS, but that will take a lot more work and I want something simple right now.

11 hours ago, larman said:

I know it is a simplified kit with "issues" but I want to build it as nicely as I can. It is kind of nostalgic because I had this kit when I was a kid. The one I have is the molded in red, 1983 issue so it is a stock only version and doesn't have the big tires or slicks. At some point, I want to combine the Revell snap '70 SS and a Revell '68 or '69 SS to build a more correct '70 SS, but that will take a lot more work and I want something simple right now.

Are you planning on making a correct air cleaner assembly for the engine , and ducting underhood  ? The AMT 1970-1972 Chevelle includes the correct Cowl Induction air cleaner , but it's 1/25 scale .

11 hours ago, larman said:

At some point, I want to combine the Revell snap '70 SS and a Revell '68 or '69 SS to build a more correct '70 SS, but that will take a lot more work and I want something simple right now.

I wouldn't use the Revell Snap kit. The quarter panels on that kit are horrible. The rear wheel openings are too high which cause too much arch in the reveal. Plus, the reveal doesn’t fade out in front of the door handles like it should.

Lousy photo. But, it's the only one I could find at this angle.

P1010010_small.jpg.d00800190930a69b24f580a4ac4a056c.jpg

The real deal.

1a957478bae1c151bee961fac8fbcd2d.png.f10cb333bec5473d7fa075cdb3950fc3.png

Here's a set of the MRC Good Years that just happen to be on a Monogram '70 Chevelle. 

20210923_103110-1.jpg.f8c89b813690d3a296d85af1ec32c737.jpg

20210923_103127-1.jpg.da94b2aa04ff8708bcf3c0c7246997dd.jpg

The lettering has the size of L60-15 on them. Don't know if that's a stock size or not. But, they look close enough to me.

Edited by Plowboy

42 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Are you planning on making a correct air cleaner assembly for the engine , and ducting underhood  ? The AMT 1970-1972 Chevelle includes the correct Cowl Induction air cleaner , but it's 1/25 scale .

I am actually thinking of removing the cowl flap and hood pins and leaving off the stripes, so it would just have the domed hood which was standard on SS models.  Something like these:

b.jpg.c42cec9d4d2ed2685f3bb6b90b86054c.jpgs-l1600-6.jpg.b70242c4e32644a0561ff811b3d4a388.jpg

Edited by larman

43 minutes ago, Plowboy said:

"I wouldn't use the Revell Snap kit. The quarter panels on that kit are horrible. The rear wheel openings are too high which cause too much arch in the reveal. Plus, the reveal doesn’t fade out in front of the door handles like it should."

Yeah, I thought the Revell body was the closest to being right, guess it's not. It would have been nice if someone would have gotten it right, The '70 Chevelle is one of my favorite cars, but it seems all the versions out there are flawed. I will probably build the Monogram one and make it as right as I can without major reconstruction, as I said, I had it and all the  Monogram muscle kits when I was a kid (8th/9th grade).  I want to build it partially because of nostalgia and also because they go together pretty easily. Thanks for all your input on this!

4 hours ago, larman said:

am actually thinking of removing the cowl flap and hood pins and leaving off the stripes, so it would just have the domed hood which was standard on SS models.

Very good then . One of the common misconceptions is that all 1970 Chevelle 396 and 454 came standard with Cowl Induction and  stripes . 

I built a phantom 1972 LS-6 Chevelle from the AMT kit some years ago . I'd figured , Why not ? All of the parts are there .