Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dodge L700 garbage truck?

The Dodge L700 was a medium duty truck. Dodge never produced L700s with lengthened chassis capable of mounting a Gar Wood LP-900 packer body. Any lengthened chassis you might run across was a custom order from an outside manufacturer like Freightliner. Besides, the Gar Wood LP-900 25 cu.yd. packer body, with a full 25,000 lb. load, would have completely overloaded an L700, even with a lengthened chassis. Fun fact: after Gar Wood ceased operations in early 1979, a licensing agreement was reached with Heil Company, granting them exclusive rights to manufacture and sell most of the former Gar Wood refuse body product line in North America, including the LP-700, LP-900 and LP-10 00 rear loaders. The Heil Company still produces the LP-900 body under the name Formula 5000. The LP-900 is also license produced by FAUN in Europe and the U.K. as the LP-901 (FAUN Powerpress), an improved LP-900.

3 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

Out of curosity, does the body in the Tom Daniels Garbage Truck show rod resemble any particular unit?  It does appear to be lighter-duty than the Garwood.  🙂

I tried researching that one too, but came up empty. Looks like it's flight of fancy.

I have thought about putting it on a regular pickup and trying to "gussie" it up to look legitimate. It's too small for the Dodge, I think. 

Patrick, measure the frame rails and get some Evergreen Polystyrene Channel in the corresponding size to fabricate an extended length frame by adding existing kit parts. That way, you'd even be able to make a tandem axle flatbed/box truck/whatever. If you want to go all out, get brass channel and solder a frame. It takes a bit of practice; but, it isn't difficult. You can check Google for for ideas on different lengthened frame L700 trucks.

How-to on frame stretch. You could either scratch the entire frame; or, graft the styrene channel to accomplish the stretch.

7 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

I say build it.

I think it would look cool as heck.

I did too, that's why I contemplated doing it. I just didn't want to build something that wasn't even feasible in real life.

I suppose I could build it with a bigger engine to compensate for the load rating. Any ideas what would be an appropriate mill for the era?

And dont say HEMI! 😨

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Cummins V8, 361 and 413 gasoline V8s.

Joe, is there a kit that has an appropriate Cummins? Or is there a kit engine that would visually fit the part? It's not that it has to REALLY pull a load, anyway. 

I'm reading that the 413 in a car is not the same as the truck block. But is there any visual difference?

I'm not that knowledgeable about heavy truck details, so I don't want to build this wrong.

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Joe, is there a kit that has an appropriate Cummins? Or is there a kit engine that would visually fit the part? It's not that it has to REALLY pull a load, anyway. 

I'm reading that the 413 in a car is not the same as the truck block. But is there any visual difference?

I'm not that knowledgeable about heavy truck details, so I don't want to build this wrong.

The 413 RB Block V8 was used in both cars and trucks (the 361 in trucks only through 1978 w/2 4bbl carbs). You can use the 413 from the Lindberg '64 Mopars with a different manifold cover.

The Cummins V8 was a typo. You can use a straight 6. You can check out what's available HERE.

Edited by SfanGoch

IMO, I wouldn't hesitate kit bashing the Dodge on the Ford Garwood Chassis.  The same axles used on Fords were available on Dodges as well. A 413 ugrade would be nice also. Catalog also shows a 6 cyl. Perkins Diesel was available too.

IMG_1506.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

On 10/8/2021 at 10:39 PM, Russell C said:

872589150_Dodgegarbagetruckjpg.jpg.019fa0a3e6a62622abd4df032870abca.jpg

See, that looks like what I was thinking! Looks very utilitarian. 

With the Garwood unit, I think the angle of the box would match the back of the cab.

This is a good visual reference, I think I'm going to pursue it when the kit comes out.

And then I'll use the Ford for something else.

I'd do it, Patrick!

It seems a natural combination. I'd use a Terry Jesse trick on the engine. Use a Bigger Air Cleaner. Seriously, a bigger Air Cleaner Housing, and a drab industrial paint job, in the same colour as the real L700, suggest that your truck has the biggest factory truck engine, rather than the automotive unit. Since this whole build is a bit of a "Whiffer" anyhow, paint and a larger part, tells the viewer all they need to know, and avoids real life fit issues with the build.

Just my thoughts.

I look forward to seeing it done.

59 minutes ago, alexis said:

I'd do it, Patrick!

It seems a natural combination. I'd use a Terry Jesse trick on the engine. Use a Bigger Air Cleaner. Seriously, a bigger Air Cleaner Housing, and a drab industrial paint job, in the same colour as the real L700, suggest that your truck has the biggest factory truck engine, rather than the automotive unit. Since this whole build is a bit of a "Whiffer" anyhow, paint and a larger part, tells the viewer all they need to know, and avoids real life fit issues with the build.

Just my thoughts.

I look forward to seeing it done.

Thanks for your inspiration Alan. I do believe you know your trucks! 👍

I agree on the color. Maybe grey or muted white, but nothing bright or flashy. Probably make it flat with some weathering to look like it's seen some use.

I'm getting excited about this project!

On 10/19/2021 at 8:18 AM, alexis said:

I'd do it, Patrick!

It seems a natural combination. I'd use a Terry Jesse trick on the engine. Use a Bigger Air Cleaner. Seriously, a bigger Air Cleaner Housing, and a drab industrial paint job, in the same colour as the real L700, suggest that your truck has the biggest factory truck engine, rather than the automotive unit. 

I agree,  and IMO,  a larger oil pan also to get that car engine to look the part.

• 2 years later...

Late to the party but....

I've been poking around online because I be had a similar project in mind. I've found photos of exactly one on all of the Internet, from an episode of The Fall Guy.

untitled_1141.jpg.ed62c49f68f3ed53f478e597826cdd77.jpguntitled_1140.jpg.82fca718990101d914df0bdc717bcbbb.jpguntitled_1139.jpg.158194eefb82a9ac2047a0fb58c76cf1.jpg

Things I keep going back to.

1.  I'm not 100% sure if it's a functioning garbage truck or just something a television studio threw together, but, well, it existed in full scale.

2. I'm also not 100% sure that's a Garwood 900 body. Sure does look close to me, though.

3. The Garwood 900 went into full production in 1972, while the L600/700 went out of production in 1971. Any combination probably would be a later refit, assuming there was ever more than one L700/Garwood 900 in existence in the first place.

Still thinking about moving forward on the project though.

Edited by Chuck Most
  • Like 1