Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chevy Gasser

bluestringer

This has always been a cool kit. 

May I suggest looking for the old Revell 57 front bumper and grill. You trimmed the bumper, but it is still there. The OLD Revell has a separate grill and makes cutting the bumper away easy. 

Here is a pic of a 1:1 with just the bumper removed. 4541858681_ec42146944_z.jpg

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

This has always been a cool kit. 

May I suggest looking for the old Revell 57 front bumper and grill. You trimmed the bumper, but it is still there. The OLD Revell has a separate grill and makes cutting the bumper away easy. 

Here is a pic of a 1:1 with just the bumper removed. 4541858681_ec42146944_z.jpg

Thanks, I see what you are talking about. I think I'll try trimming it more. I have seem them cut different ways, some even had the grill removed and left only the top chrome piece. I kinda like that look, may even try it. I also may try to find a moon tank and mount it on the front. 

18 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Thanks, I see what you are talking about. I think I'll try trimming it more. I have seem them cut different ways, some even had the grill removed and left only the top chrome piece. I kinda like that look, may even try it. I also may try to find a moon tank and mount it on the front. 

Right, I have seen with just the chrome above also. I have also seen them with no grill or end pieces (Chevy bumper is 5 pieces) and a moon tank mounted to the center section of the bumper.

57 Chevy Front 5-Piece Bumper *NEW* 1957 Chevrolet | eBay

11 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I think I will cut more of the bumper off but leave the grille and center piece with the chevy emblem. I was able to shoot some paint on the flip front today. 

_IGP0190.jpg

_IGP0191.jpg

The color and paint look good, what paint is it....I always want to know what people use.   And why just the flipper and not the rest of the car??

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

The color and paint look good, what paint is it....I always want to know what people use.   And why just the flipper and not the rest of the car??

Thanks. The color is CreateFX Pearl Green. I didn't have time or energy to get it all painted. Having some health problems this week. 

Edited by bluestringer

15 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Sorry about not feeling well. Have you used much of the Createx?   I like how their pearls look. 

Thanks. This is my first time using it. I have the green and a bottle of the blue pearl. I like it so far, sprays good, needs just a little thinning for my Paasche H. 

Thanks for the comments guys. But now I have ruined it. There is a lot of trim on this car. I could not decide what I wanted to do with it. I have some foil, but have never tried using it. Decided to try it, it would not stick, so gave up. Have a metallic silver paint pen, started with it and it worked good for the large area on the back panel, but tip too big for the smaller trim. Got the old standby silver sharpie out., even though it does not look like chrome at all. Finished up the side trim with it, then started on the windows, lots of trim here and hard to tell what to hit with the sharpie, checked the box and thought I had it right, but I was hitting the wrong area. By this time I'm frustrated and should have stopped, but I kept going and messed up my line making a big mess. Oh well, it is what it is. Taking a break for a couple days, got some Doctor appointments next week, still trying to get a problem with my potassium level figured out. Here's my mess...........

_IGP0208.jpg

_IGP0213.jpg

Don't feel to bad, I was trying to foil mine http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/159728-mpc-57-chevy/ yesterday and pretty much just stuffed in back in the box. I'll dig it out at some point and try again. You could try a little alcohol and try removing the ink. Good luck hope ya get it straightened out.

Edited by Painted Black

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

It's really a shame you guys' are having BMF issues. As a long time user, when you get the hang of it IMO there is no real substitute.    It is definately a pain even for experienced users especially the new stuff. 

Mike, I've been using BMF since 1989, have done over 150 cars, it;s not a user problem, its a product problem. I for one enjoy trimming a model with BMF, but the stuff has changed, it doesn't stick, it too thick, etc. I truly hope they can get the problem fixed.