Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12th Porsche 934 Vaillant

Thank you David and John!   There comes a point where you cry uncle and say you have had enough!   I have reached that point with the roll cage, seat, and fire extinguisher distribution line.   The MFH zip ties were some of the worst and most frustrating after market parts I have used.  I used a complete package to get five zip ties on the roll cage.   I had six, and one broke off today while it was sitting on the work bench.   I hadn't even touched the model!!  I don't know if the five will be on there when I finally finish the car, if not I will have to go to plan B.  I think I got in over my head on the extinguisher line, it was definitely a stretch of my abilities.

20220904_203700.jpg

20220904_203646.jpg

20220904_203601.jpg

20220904_203530.jpg

20220904_203456.jpg

20220904_203444.jpg

Hello Jim,

I see every build as a compromise between the quality and detail that I'd like to achieve, what I'm capable of accomplishing and how long I'm willing to delay the gratification of putting it in my display case. Somewhere in there is a satisfactory balance.

Your skill level with this build is far beyond anything I have yet to accomplish yet.  So I for one, would not blame you for cutting a corner here or there.

That's the beauty of hobbies. In the end, the only person you have to satisfy is you.

David G.

• 3 weeks later...

I am done with the undercarriage and now working on the wheels.  Ran the two transmission cooler lines and the shifter cable which finished up everything underneath.  Next is to install the valve stems, paint the wheels, make a cover-plate for the transmission tunnel cover and install the wheels.  Then it's on to finishing up the body.  I might actually finish this someday!

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

First saw this build today....read through because the detail is amazing and looks great! 

Would be a great model to somehow show with the sheet metal and outer skins off....but that's a lot of scratch building and change of direction!

It will look awesome when complete, and suggest just a little dust or dirt with weathering chalk on the finish to match the few laps the chassis has....  It will add realism and depth to the model.  Race cars are not show car shiny. 

Keep up the awesome work on a classic subject.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the body clear coated, it still needs to be polished and then slightly weathered to match the chassis.  Finished up the back end of the body by installing tail lights, bumpers, and rear deck grilles.   Both the rear tail lights and the front turn signal lights have Tuner Model Manufactory 1.0 mm cross type rivets installed in them.   Getting closer to finishing it up, pretty happy how the body is turning out so far.   Both the hood and driver's side rear quarter panel decals have small bubbles in them that appeared after the clear coat.  Not sure if my first mist coat or the following coats of clear caused them but they aren't horribly visible. 

20221013_213857.jpg

20221013_213846.jpg

20221013_213736.jpg

20221013_213720.jpg

20221013_213653.jpg

20221013_213513.jpg

20221013_213442.jpg

20221013_213426.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the body installed on the chassis and did a little weathering on the body.  Used some 1/16 scale Goodyear decals on the tires and weathered them a little to reduce the decal shine a bit.  I'm pretty much finished and hoping to get some outside pictures this weekend.  

We live and learn with each model Jim. Each new build always had its challenges, especially when adding either scratch built or after market detailing items.

Your Vaillant Porsche is coming on really well and will be a model to be proud of when finished. The Vaillant green is a colour that really suits their sponsored cars.