Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Oldsmobile 442(from an AMT '64 Olds 442) - FINISHED

crowe-t

I did some work on the interior's door panels.  I used 1 mm and 1.5 mm Evergreen half round rods for the pleats.  I also scratch built a steering column.  I started making a new package tray.  

The stance is just about right.  My friend sent me measurements.  He measured from the rims to the fender/quarter panel wheel openings.  I just have to move the rear end slightly forward.

IMG_2410 Small.jpg

IMG_2412 Small.jpg

IMG_2415 Small.jpg

IMG_2420 Small.jpg

IMG_2478 Small.jpg

IMG_2482 Small.jpg

IMG_2489 Small.jpg

IMG_2515 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 3

I added the screws around the perimeter of the rear wheels that hold the tires in place.  The interior is now glued together.  The rear seat gave me problems.  The back of the seat initially sat too straight up and down.  I had to pull the seat out and file the back and bottom to angle it.  It now sits the way it should.  The steering wheel was slightly too far to the right by about a mm so I filled in the hole on the dash board and drilled a new hole.  I also slightly widened the rear arm rests and added speakers to the front kick panels. 

IMG_2562 Small.jpg

IMG_2565 Small.jpg

IMG_2569 Small.jpg

IMG_2571 Small.jpg

IMG_2574 Small.jpg

IMG_2577 Small.jpg

IMG_2579 Small.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's some work I did on the heads to make them look like Edelbrock heads.  I started scratch building the valve covers and modified the sump on the oil pan to make it resemble a Milodon pan.  I have to scribe the lines in the sump but since a good portion of the front of the pan is hidden under the cross member I won't have to re-shape that area.

I scratch built the rear coil overs.  I installed 1mm round brass rods on the rear end and the tops of the shocks to make installation easier after it's all painted.  I also started adding the details to the rear end cover.  I added some styrene to smooth out the side tanks on the stock radiator.  I'll add some small bolts in the holes of the valve covers.  

Thanks for looking in.

IMG_2714 Small.jpg

IMG_2741 Small.jpg

IMG_2738 Small.jpg

IMG_2740 Small.jpg

IMG_2746 Small.jpg

IMG_2730 Small.jpg

IMG_2732 Small.jpg

IMG_2733 Small.jpg

IMG_2734 Small.jpg

IMG_2750 Small.jpg

IMG_2753 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

Here's some more work I did today.  I added the raised details and bolts to the rear end cover.  The details look better in person.  They are very small and hard to photograph.  I made the 2 boxes between the seats and put the 'chrome' base of the shifter boot on the floor.  The shifter is temporarily glued in for the picture.  The picture without the dash shows the gas pedal.  I added the emergency brake release lever under the dash.  

IMG_2757 Small.jpg

IMG_2758 Small.jpg

IMG_2760 Small.jpg

IMG_2761 Small.jpg

IMG_2762 Small.jpg

IMG_2764 Small.jpg

IMG_2778 Small.jpg

• Like 1

Here's a small update.  I scratch built the rear speaker that goes on the package tray and made the cutouts in the front seat bottoms for the harness belts.  I started modifying a set of Small Block Chevy headers to fit the Olds 455.  I picked up a couple of resin Small Block Chevy intake manifolds from Ron Coon Resins and used one to modify the stock 455 manifold.  I filed down the top of the stock manifold and glued on the center section of the resin part.  The picture is making it look rougher than it is.  

Thanks for looking in and all comments are welcome.

IMG_2802 Small.jpg

IMG_2804 Small.jpg

IMG_2805 Small.jpg

IMG_2807 Small.jpg

IMG_2809 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lordairgtar said:

Just some beautiful work there. It's not easy changing a car to another year. Plus adding the car's individual custom touches that make it unique to your friend's car....WOW.

Thanks Gregory!  The '64 kit is a rough kit to begin with.  It's an older one and the chassis and interior leave a lot to be desired.  Everything is molded into the chassis so the only option that made sense was to use the chassis from the '67 442 kit.

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 weeks later...

I did some more work on the exhaust system.  I made the mufflers, added the cutoff pipes that allow it to bypass the mufflers and installed 1 mm brass pins to attach it to the floor.  I still have to add some clamps and details and also the collectors on the headers.

IMG_3037 Small.jpg

IMG_3040 Small.jpg

IMG_3042 Small.jpg

IMG_3050 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

Here's some progress pictures of the body.  I started adding the window frames and post to the passenger side.  I also modified the shape of the vent window.  The vent window's vertical post is now straighter.

IMG_3225 Small.jpg

IMG_3227 Small.jpg

IMG_3233 B +20 Small.jpg

IMG_3240 B +20 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t
  • Like 1

I added the rest of the details to the body.  I put the molding on and made the side scoops on the quarter panels.  After it all cures I'll scribe the door lines in the molding.

IMG_3274 Small.jpg

IMG_3276 Small.jpg

IMG_3278 Small.jpg

IMG_3279 Small.jpg

IMG_3280 Small.jpg

IMG_3281 Small.jpg

IMG_3282 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

• crowe-t changed the title to 1965 Oldsmobile 442(from an AMT '64 Olds 442) - FINISHED