Model Cars Magazine Forum

GM’s 1953 Trio of limited production convertibles

Background: For the 1953 model year, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Cadillac each introduced a special convertible based on a more popular and mainstream model. This coincided with the 50th anniversary of Buick and Cadillac.

Oldsmobile came out with the Fiesta, based on the 98. 

Buick had the Skylark, based on the Roadmaster.

Cadillac introduced the Eldorado, based on the Series 62. 

Each of these cars listed for almost double the price of their mainstream counterparts when new, and are heavily sought after by classic car collectors today, due to their rarity and the craftsmanship that went into them. For instance; on the Skylark they sectioned normal Roadmaster doors and angled the top piece to produce a heavily raked window line. From what I understand, lots of lead filler went into these cars from factory and they all had windshields that were cut down 3 inches. 

What intrigues me is why Pontiac was left out of it. If you think about it, Chevy got their own special car that year with the release of the Corvette. Sure, Pontiac at the time was seen as more of a grandma’s car and for lack of a better word, lame, but it’s a wonder why GM would’ve neglected any brand with how the auto industry was thriving after the war (Bunkie Knudsen would start working his magic on Pontiac a few years later but that’s a different story).

I’m also curious as to why none of these three special cars were seen in plastic kit form given their historical importance and showcar-derived styling. 

Edited by Smoke Wagon

• Smoke Wagon changed the title to GM’s 1953 Trio of limited production convertibles

The three cars mentioned started as strictly show cars but the response to them, and that GM may have been hoping that they would be popular so they started production. The door modifications mentioned were to introduce what was called the Darin Dip. My thought was that the Buick had the greatest body modifications mainly at the Trunk and rear quarter panels and Tail lights. The Buick saw a couple of year model issues with the Skylark name becoming a trim option before it was used on a compact model car. The Cadillac El Dorado continued for many years with the biggest differences from the normal bodies being thru the '57 model year with a unique rear fin and tail light treatment. The name eventually went on their front wheel drive car based on the Oldsmobile Tornado.

As for models of these cars. While there maybe a small market for them you have to wonder if it would make financial sense for say a Revell to tool up such a kit. I think I might build them and I'm sure there are others, just not enough of us to make it a business plan. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

My thought was that the Buick had the greatest body modifications

I think so as well. I like how the window line and belt line run parallel with each other. Even without a wrap around windshield it looks sleeker than the other two. I feel like Buick took a step backwards with the ‘54 Skylark though. I was never a fan of the scooped wheel wells on those.. especially in a contrasting color. 

As for models, perhaps a mainline Buick Roadmaster convertible would make a better business case. Either a ‘49 like in Rain Man:EE2FFB31-09E8-482B-9510-62F79097803E.jpeg.e0450167f5e854a09d71edd1de626260.jpeg

Or a ‘52-53 could be done:D6322850-00C6-4B61-BD68-1FEECE92C3D2.jpeg.0bf04c6d99c2680819454e41b95c1af2.jpeg

This one would be even more of a pipe dream, but wood look nice on a shelf with Revell’s ‘49 Merc wagon:B3F98923-B6BB-465D-8B63-48D40599B60B.jpeg.ae3786b1b7879eb3c46ac1e26f329cf3.jpeg

I'd love to see a kit of any of these, but like the real collector car market, 50s ain't the hot thing they once were & I doubt a kitmaker would tool up for such a limited market.

There was a '53 Fiesta in a junkyard/hoarder collection local to me back in the 90s. Both myself and a friend tried to buy that car numerous times as it was fairly restorable.  On the way to lunch one day we saw the car heading down the road on a trailer. I like to think it got restored. This same yard had a '57 Caddy Biarritz Convertible that we were able to buy. 

51 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

I have a w.i.p. of the 53 Eldorado at the bottom of pg 3 and top of pg 4. It's on my w.i.p. "my 3d printed projects" post currently on page 3 of w.i.p. Here's screen shots of the file.

snapshot00.png.b5b215a8b7cc93fc2ef02ee3a3bb5812.png1700086078_snapshot101.png.481364f61da441055acba30b26e7561a.png

I would think there may be a small market for a Convertible or a Hardtop Caddy even if it was the more common series 62 model or the DeVille.  

@my66s55 Nice! I don’t know how I missed that one. Will a 3D printer print the steering wheel and radio antenna that thin? If not then on the bright side, that technology is getting better every day. 

@espo Maybe. I wonder how well the Atlantis ‘57 Eldorado is selling. I know it’s an old multi piece body Revell tooling, but the subject matter is similar.

It does seem like 60’s stuff is a lot more popular right now as far as kits go. 

21 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

@my66s55 Nice! I don’t know how I missed that one. Will a 3D printer print the steering wheel and radio antenna that thin? If not then on the bright side, that technology is getting better every day. 

@espo Maybe. I wonder how well the Atlantis ‘57 Eldorado is selling. I know it’s an old multi piece body Revell tooling, but the subject matter is similar.

It does seem like 60’s stuff is a lot more popular right now as far as kits go. 

I can print everything in high detail except the antenna. I'll use the usual way for that.