Model Cars Magazine Forum

Was at Walmart today

Anybody build this (I am pretty sure a number of you have)? If so I am curious to see what I may be in for for this build. On the fence about the tractor vs wrecker assembly. I know that there is no 5th wheel, slide plate included. Also looking at the instructions online it appears also no quarter fenders, or mud flaps in the kit. Also I would have to source the tow cable which presents another issue. That all being said this ought to be fun. As always any tips, suggestions, mentioning of me needing my head examined would be most appreciated. I just have to keep reminding myself that this is not, I repeat NOT a Revell USA snap version of the 359

other than the wrecker bed being 1/4 inch too wide, it builds up like every other AMT Pete . The tow cable could easily be sourced from the craft section at wally world, or hobby lobby . 

If you chose to leave the wrecker bed as is, it'll overhang the rear wheels a noticeable amount.

2 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

other than the wrecker bed being 1/4 inch too wide, it builds up like every other AMT Pete . The tow cable could easily be sourced from the craft section at wally world, or hobby lobby . 

If you chose to leave the wrecker bed as is, it'll overhang the rear wheels a noticeable amount.

Since I don't do plastic surgery I may have to do it as a tractor.

2 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

You mean overhang (the wheels being covered)?

16 minutes ago, 37 caddy said:

Ive got one of the "Red" ones,its molded in the light grey plastic,it came with a sleeper?.It is the later style cab with the Cummins engine,is that one the early cab with a detroit motor?.Its hard to tell by looking at the box. harvey

Harvey good morning. No it's the latest re-pop from Round 2 Model (AMT #1133). No sleeper, and no additional parts slide plate, fifth wheel to make he a tractor. I actually am probably going to make her a tractor. I have a post on the trading part of this website where I am looking to trade the wrecker parts. Haven't had the 359 kit since the White, and Brown one since about 1977ish (?).

9 hours ago, JerseeJerry55 said:

You mean overhang (the wheels being covered)?

Yes, the sides overhang the wheels. They'll end up buried looking , but it might not bother ya. 

Cutting 1/8" off each bed side is all you'd need for surgery if you decide to correct it! 

8 minutes ago, gotnitro? said:

Yes, the sides overhang the wheels. They'll end up buried looking , but it might not bother ya. 

Cutting 1/8" off each bed side is all you'd need for surgery if you decide to correct it! 

I have put the wrecker parts up on the trading post section of the website. Looking to do her as a day cab tractor, or maybe slap a Mercury sleeper on her. Went to order decal stripes from Jerry Reeter's Model Truckin website and noticed that the shipping cost is $11.00. A bit steep as I thought that shipping used to be about $4.00 from his website.

Edited by JerseeJerry55

10 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Cool plan it will look good as a day cab tractor, much less work too. Add the 5th wheel and some fenders and your done 

Have a number of options for livery. Choices are WX (Western Express), Hoosier Motor Lines, or the Dixie Transport decals all from the Autocar A64B kit, and the Outward Bound, or National Trucking decals from the Diamond Reo kit. Probably doing a White cab, and hood with contrasting fenders, and frame.