Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anybody make 1970 Olds rallye wheels without trim rings

46 minutes ago, Rodent said:

Not right for sure. The part of the wheel where the valve stem goes is WAAAAY too wide and the center cap should be tapered.

Image 1 - 1969 70-72 Olds 1969 Cutlass  Hurst Olds 442 W-30 14 inch Rally Wheel W/cap

Depends on the individual wheel. Those resin ones look pretty close to these 15" ones.

Buy 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 OLDSMOBILE 442 CUTLASS 15 INCH RALLY  WHEELS in Hot Springs, South Dakota, United States, for US $150.00

14 minutes ago, NOBLNG said:

And they are closer than these AMT ‘69 442 rims with the chrome rings.

649B0B8A-3BD9-4BD0-BAAB-58AD17E0099E.jpeg

95C87E38-DF33-4D43-A618-8EA08FD1837A.jpeg

Ya know, If a person was to cut the trim rings off those rally wheels, , ,  grind down the backs of those mags until all that's left was the rim to just where the spoke starts and glue the rims from the mags to the rest of the rally wheel you'd just about have the wheel in question. 

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Depends on the individual wheel. Those resin ones look pretty close to these 15" ones.

Buy 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 OLDSMOBILE 442 CUTLASS 15 INCH RALLY  WHEELS in Hot Springs, South Dakota, United States, for US $150.00

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

Joseph does say his wheels are 15x7 so they are the bigger wheel.

Agreed. I was looking for a pic of the 15" versions to compare, but failed. I don't think the 15" were ever used without a trim ring, so I am at a loss why they are cast.

I have some old resin Chrysler wheels that are cast with a separate trim ring and center. I can't find the package and don't remember who made them Probably no longer in business, but I seem to remember that they made "more detailed" versions of old musclecar OEM wheels.

Rodent- Scale Equipment Ltd. may be who you are thinking of the: the Chrysler wheels. They made some really nice wheels from all the manufacturers, like Pontiac Rally IIs, Chevy Rallys, etc. I seem to remember them making Olds SS IIs as well, with and without trim rings. Not sure if they are still around.

Wow thx guy's for all the info ,I think I'll go with the wheel out of the Revell '72 Olds and just keep the chrome trim ring ,I was told dealers did put Trim rings on some car to sell them .

Edited by Mr mopar

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

Wow thx guy's for all the info ,I think I'll go with the wheel out of the Revell '72 Olds and just keep the chrome trim ring ,I was told dealers did put Trim rings on some car to sell them .

Yep, I did some reading last night and these cars weren't very popular due in part to the monochrome look. Dealers would dress them up with trim rings and sometimes even replace the bumpers with chrome ones to give the car a more traditional look.