Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scratchbuilt flatbed

Thanks gents, very kind of you. 

Well I'm just about done on this build. All that was left was the Trailmobile insignia on the frame and the mudflaps. 

I'm ok with the wooden bed as it is. I can't think of any way to treat it. I know in real life it would be treated for longevity but it would be left fairly rough to make a good, non slippery surface. As I've said before I'd like to weather it a little bit don't know how. I might try a few things over the next few months. 

For now, it's done. Can't quite believe I've done it, or finished something for once. 

IMG_20220725_105308437~2.jpg

• Like 1

Fabulous work on the trailer  ! You've done a remarkable job building and detailing the model. 

If ya ever think about staining the deck, I've used the paint residue in the bottom of thinner bottles several times,  just mix up and brush on. Test a few popsicle sticks first for getting the look

Well done!  When I weather wood, I usually thin out acrylics with water or iso alcohol making a wash.  If it's too thin, that's better as I can always apply multiple coats; it's harder to thin it once it's on if it's too dark.  I start with darker shades and move to lighter, usually browns, grays and whites.  Many woods get silvery when they age but given the overall new-ness of the trailer, I'd kept the weathering subtle.  Best to practice on spare sticks until you get it looking like you want.  Let it dry, many times looks different when wet.

• 2 months later...