Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell / Monogram 64 Mustang kit - anyone built one?

I haven't built that specific kit but I've built the Hertz GT350 that shares about 90% of the same parts. It was a pretty trouble-free build. I don't remember any issues I didn't cause myself by using parts from other kits.

20220124_214051.jpg.9769c5697ae3cbb1781818dce1ca1ef7.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve build built three so far. The convertible, the fastback, and the ‘65 Shelby. I have the ‘66 Shelby waiting in the wings. So you can guess what I think about them. In my opinion they are all very nice kits. Better than the original AMT annuals. Though I still like those too. And I’m looking forward to Round 2’s up coming ‘66 fastback. 

Thanks everybody!  Looks like I know what I'll be ordering!

Those two builds look great, thanks for posting @Fat Brian and @Hard_2_Handle_454- doesn't look like there's much I'd need to mess with to get a nice looking build.  Maybe replace those molded-in window and door cranks, but nothing too major...

Appreciate the feedback! 

On 6/10/2022 at 3:45 PM, Sledsel said:

Builds up good, but in my eye the front end looks wonky.

I wondered if the space between the grille and the headlights needs to be filed down a little - although, admittedly, I haven’t studied one of these kits in person YET…

On 6/10/2022 at 9:45 PM, Sledsel said:

Builds up good, but in my eye the front end looks wonky.

Agreed.  Comparing with photos of the 1:1 and the old AMT annual, the front end looks blunt, the front fenders ahead of the wheels extend too far down and the grille/headlight area needs attention.  I don't know about the convertible, but the fastbacks made after the GT350-R issue also have a huge gap in the panel under the grille that shouldn't be there (but lack the narrow slot that should be present).  I've been working on correcting a Monogram Shelby but fixing one thing leads to another...

On 6/13/2022 at 11:02 AM, dodgefever said:

Agreed.  Comparing with photos of the 1:1 and the old AMT annual, the front end looks blunt, the front fenders ahead of the wheels extend too far down and the grille/headlight area needs attention.  I don't know about the convertible, but the fastbacks made after the GT350-R issue also have a huge gap in the panel under the grille that shouldn't be there (but lack the narrow slot that should be present).  I've been working on correcting a Monogram Shelby but fixing one thing leads to another...

Blunt is a good way to describe it 

7 hours ago, mk11 said:

Concave headlight reflectors(buckets) would be a slight improvement...

There's a round chrome disc that goes behind the headlights on these kits, if you don't use it and just put a bit of foil on the back of the clear lenses you could set the lights back almost a millimeter.