Model Cars Magazine Forum

COBI Fokker DR. 1 “Red Baron”

I don’t know if this counts as an actual “model kit” or not. This is a COBI block model kit of a 1/32 scale Fokker DR. 1, the Red Baron’s famous tri-plane. For those who don’t know, COBI is a Polish company that makes Lego like building block models. In fact their blocks will interchange with Lego’s. Advantage of COBI over Lego is price and more custom pieces. This is my second COBI model (the first is the Citroen 2CV seen in one of photos below), and so far I’m impressed. I’m thinking I may buy more in the future. The building was fun. No glue or paint needed. No decals or sticks. All marking and logos are pad printed. It took about two hours to build (under one hour for the Citroen). 

3E81536E-AFEB-4738-981A-5DE4556BB2B8.jpeg

D361849A-6478-4FA3-83E0-C627845C6FC1.jpeg

89901DDF-0761-4447-8752-2FA30CCF2C32.jpeg

E85B03B7-EFAC-4ACD-85FA-01E4728869BC.jpeg

C6203639-7386-4994-A2DB-F79DA14C7351.jpeg

8F83B95B-2108-4754-8687-81CABCD68505.jpeg

Edited by unclescott58

Wow! 53 views in 22 hours, but no comments? Good, bad, or otherwise? Was I wrong to post this here? I am okay with that if that is case. If that is the case, and I buy and build another one, I will not post it here. I just thought others here might have found it interesting. 

Oh, absolutely post 'em! This is just neat. Sometimes you need a simple construction to clear the cobwebs, or at least I do. I find the engineering of these things very interesting, and myself couldn't resist picking up one of the new Airfix car kits that build up in a similar fashion, and have yet to assemble it, but the bits in the box are intriguing in their design. I suspect it must be much the same for you with this kit. I'll always take a look at a model if the subject interests me, whether you carve it from soap, chisel from rock, or assemble from plastic!

8 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Oh, absolutely post 'em! This is just neat. Sometimes you need a simple construction to clear the cobwebs, or at least I do. I find the engineering of these things very interesting, and myself couldn't resist picking up one of the new Airfix car kits that build up in a similar fashion, and have yet to assemble it, but the bits in the box are intriguing in their design. I suspect it must be much the same for you with this kit. I'll always take a look at a model if the subject interests me, whether you carve it from soap, chisel from rock, or assemble from plastic!

Thank you for your encouragement Rusty. Many on these threads have complained about not seeing young people coming into our hobby. I work with high school kids, and I know of a lot of them build lego models. Rather than the traditional kits that we do. I’m interested in the idea that we’ve seen both Revell and Airfix (as you noted) offering kits that are basically a cross between traditional kits and these lego, “block” style kits. Will these kits be the future for getting kids into our hobby? 

It was fun seeing the built up models on display at the Brickmania store. They are interesting. But, between the not quite right to my eyes look of detail because of the brick type construction. Plus the price of the Lego brand kits. I will not be going in that direction in general. I may buy one or two more of the COBI kits, because of both price and looking more like traditional models than the Lego kits when they are done. Still, for me, I don’t like the lack of detail and brick like look of even with COBI kits in the end. I’ll be mainly sticking with traditional model kits. But again, I hope these brick kits eventually lead kids into our hobby. 

Edited by unclescott58

Definitely keep posting them here !  I like seeing models using different mediums whether it's Lego type bricks or others like wood or even paper . It's all modeling and belongs here . Never heard of COBI but they look like great little kits , I may have to try ona myself !

I know first hand that it can be discouraging when you get no replies but I've learned to ignore it , in fact I'm guilty of viewing posts and never replying .  

7 minutes ago, TooOld said:

Definitely keep posting them here !  I like seeing models using different mediums whether it's Lego type bricks or others like wood or even paper . It's all modeling and belongs here . Never heard of COBI but they look like great little kits , I may have to try ona myself !

I know first hand that it can be discouraging when you get no replies but I've learned to ignore it , in fact I'm guilty of viewing posts and never replying .  

Thank you too for words of encouragement. Between yours and Rusty’s comments, if I do build another, I will post picture here. 

• Like 1

I had to go to eBay to see the COBI kits available, and it is mind-boggling what they have available! (Budget boggling, too) The armor kits are pretty cool for what they are, and several of the plane kits are rather interesting. I saw a P-38 that looked like fun, but there are SO MANY! They have planes, armor, submarines, ships, even a humongous Titanic. The bigger kits have scary prices, but nowhere near Lego-crazy, and not really bad these days for what I'd consider a premium quality toy. I'm impressed with their approach to modeling real subjects, and the quality of the pieces themselves. Your plane, for example, is incredibly opaque in appearance, and red at that, so it avoids a "plastic-y" appearance. Red pigment isn't particularly strong in any medium, so no corners were cut in that respect. Good stuff, and thanks for introducing me to it!

1 hour ago, bisc63 said:

I had to go to eBay to see the COBI kits available, and it is mind-boggling what they have available! (Budget boggling, too) The armor kits are pretty cool for what they are, and several of the plane kits are rather interesting. I saw a P-38 that looked like fun, but there are SO MANY! They have planes, armor, submarines, ships, even a humongous Titanic. The bigger kits have scary prices, but nowhere near Lego-crazy, and not really bad these days for what I'd consider a premium quality toy. I'm impressed with their approach to modeling real subjects, and the quality of the pieces themselves. Your plane, for example, is incredibly opaque in appearance, and red at that, so it avoids a "plastic-y" appearance. Red pigment isn't particularly strong in any medium, so no corners were cut in that respect. Good stuff, and thanks for introducing me to it!

Oh, oh! COBI maybe taking another victim to the “Dark Side.” I’m sorry I exposed you to them. 😝 They make a P-38? I’m going to have to check that out. One of my all time favorite airplanes. I didn’t see at Brickmania’s store. 

Edited by unclescott58

As far as I'm concerned, building a Cobi kit or a Lego kit is really no different than building a snap model kit. So they totally have a place here!

I've never heard of Cobi before, so had a look at their website. Some interesting stuff there. Surprised they have the Top Gun licensing!

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:56 PM, slusher said:

Nice pair Scott!

6 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

As far as I'm concerned, building a Cobi kit or a Lego kit is really no different than building a snap model kit. So they totally have a place here!

I've never heard of Cobi before, so had a look at their website. Some interesting stuff there. Surprised they have the Top Gun licensing!

2 hours ago, bbowser said:

I have had my 2 grandsons build a few Airfix kits and it has been great fun.  Not too difficult but not too simple and they can stand up to some play afterwards.  Keep them coming!

Thank you gentlemen. 

Just stumbled on this "model kit" and it is interesting and looks good. Saw your Citroen the other day and didn't realize it wasn't a standard plastic model. Real nice.

As stated above, I like to see anything built no matter what kind of material it is made from.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...