Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Kenworth Dump truck 4Q

Mr mopar

On 8/30/2022 at 8:34 PM, PierreR89 said:

I noticed that to when i built my K100 triaxle 

That kit is 1/25 and the W900 kit i used as a doner was also 1/25 but the frame and axles were smaller on the W900 compared to the K100.

Well they are not of the same origin.
The K100 was designed in Venice CA by Revell US in the late 70's or early 80's and issued by Revell Germany like most of the other of their US truck glue kits in the early to mid 80's, the Revell Germany W900 glue kit on the other hand seems to be a down scaled 1/16 Monogram model from the early 80's and the 1/25 scale model was first issued by Revell Germany in 1992, if you compare the parts breakdown and instructions between the 1/16 and 1/25 scale kits they are very similar.
The thing is that Revell and Monogram did not merge until 1986 when Odyssey Partners bought both model kit companies, first Monogram and later Revell, and moved Revell from Venice, California to the Monogram plant in Morton Grove, Illinois.
So before 1986 Revell did not have access to the Monogram tooling and the now Revell 1/25 Kenworth W900 Aerodyne and Peterbilt 359 Snap Kits and the Keworth W900-W900 Aerodyne and Peterbilt 359 1/16 kits are in fact originally Monogram tooling from 1981-1982 and Revell had nothing to do with them until after the merger, and the US truck glue kits issued by Revell Germany are Revell designed tooling except for the W900 as I mentioned earlier.

Edited by Force

I've had several correspondences with Ulli Taubert, Head of Product Development at Revell Germany.  Now retired.  

He had been with Revell ever since the 1970s, when they developed their truck model line-up.  He says the Revell Peterbilt and Kenworth kits were developed in California, when Revell was in Venice, California.  Many of those kits were developed when Revell was close to moving to Morton Grove, Illinois.  

He said many of the details on some of the development of those subjects were lost in the move.  For instance, what prototype of trailer was the Auto Trailer based on.

He said the tooling for those kits were developed in Denmark.

He also said you can almost be assured that there will be no new to American truck subjects from Revell, and this was told to me way before Revell got bought out!

Euro model companies told me that any new tool American subjects will be coming from Moebius or some  unknown future entity.

49 minutes ago, chuckyr said:

I've had several correspondences with Ulli Taubert, Head of Product Development at Revell Germany.  Now retired.  

He had been with Revell ever since the 1970s, when they developed their truck model line-up.  He says the Revell Peterbilt and Kenworth kits were developed in California, when Revell was in Venice, California.  Many of those kits were developed when Revell was close to moving to Morton Grove, Illinois.  

He said many of the details on some of the development of those subjects were lost in the move.  For instance, what prototype of trailer was the Auto Trailer based on.

He said the tooling for those kits were developed in Denmark.

He also said you can almost be assured that there will be no new to American truck subjects from Revell, and this was told to me way before Revell got bought out!

Euro model companies told me that any new tool American subjects will be coming from Moebius or some  unknown future entity.

I’m thinking we’re more likely to get a new truck from Round2 if the sales go well with what they’re doing.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2022 at 8:19 PM, niteowl7710 said:

To be fair it's not like Revell in Germany was exactly producing trucks of any kind recently anyways. The most recent trucks out of them were the reboxes of the Moebius trucks and the Italeri M-B Actros.

Yes that's true.
They have only reissued some of their older kits in the last 10 years, the all wrong Marmon based on the Peterbilt 359 2015, the Auto Transport Trailer 2016, the Kenworth K100 Flat Top 2016 and Aerodyne 2017, the Kenworth W900 Wrecker 2015 and Tractor 2020, the Peterbilt 359 Tractor and Wrecker 2013 and the Tractor again 2021 are the latest...and now the Kenworth W900 Dump Truck.
And some reboxes of Italeri and Moebius kits as you said.

• 6 months later...