Model Cars Magazine Forum

1994 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Pace Car

mrmike

I was going to wait until I had finished my Stumptown Mustang GT to post this, but it's hot out and I really don't want to go outside.  So here it is!  My new project is the 1994 Ford Mustang GT Pace Car!  I picked this kit up from an auction of kits belonging to someone for $5 and I wondered how I should build it.  My build will be of a stock Pace Car and I have to go down to my LHS for paint to match the body molded in red.  Oh Joy!  More red plastic to cope with!  I have a yellow SN195 Mustang that I built years ago for reference if I need it.

More Pace Car to come...

94Must01.JPG

94Must02.JPG

94Must03.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

Thanks Jonathan and Rex!  Nice Cobras, Rex!

I took most of the parts to the sink for a bath with a scrub brush and Dawn Dish Detergent and I placed them to dry in my paintbooth.

94Must04.JPG

94Must05.JPG

94Must06.JPG

Edited by mrmike

I had a little time this afternoon before the thunderstorms hit the area and I assembled the 5.0 Liter engine.  I even had time to drill the cylinder heads for plug wires.  Now for some grey paint even if the instructions call for flat black.  The dog had to go out and when the thunder clapped, he came running back into the house! 

More Pace Car to come...

94Must07.JPG

94Must08.JPG

94Must09.JPG

Thanks Dirk!  This Mustang Pace Car is a neat looking vehicle.  I have the Revell '99 Cobra in the stash and I added the shaker hood scoop to the kit.  I have seen a couple of 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1 over the years and the hood scoop looks interesting.

On 8/4/2022 at 8:34 PM, Jonathan said:

You might be surprised at just how bright a red will be if you shoot it over their pink primer.  

19_orig.jpeg

You would be absolutely blown away, how there is absolutely no difference in color, no matter the primer, when paint is shot properly. 😉

I was inspired to add a hood scoop to the Pace Car, but the hood scoop is white plastic and the body and hood of the Pace Car is red plastic.  Should I pre-paint the hood scoop red and then add it to the Pace Car hood and then paint the whole kit and kaboodle red?  I know that the red color of the plastic with leak through.  I want to paint the Pace Car a matching red to hide the swirl marks and join line of the red plastic.

Edited by mrmike

On 8/6/2022 at 10:00 AM, mrmike said:

Thanks Dirk!  This Mustang Pace Car is a neat looking vehicle.  I have the Revell '99 Cobra in the stash and I added the shaker hood scoop to the kit.  I have seen a couple of 2003-2004 Mustang Mach 1 over the years and the hood scoop looks interesting.

This is my least favorite Mustang body style so far (Ok I left out the Mustang II years) but I really like the MACH 1 version. I'm surprised of all these Mustang kits no one ever made a MACH 1 kit

• mrmike changed the title to 1994 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Pace Car

The 5.0 engine is complete, or I thought it was.  Seems as though the ignition coil is missing.  It wasn't in the kit so I guess I'll have to make one.

More Pace Car to come...

94Must13.JPG

94Must14.JPG

94Must15.JPG

Edited by mrmike
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...