Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 GTX (MPC)

Mopar - D

While I’m waiting on parts to finish my Charger I decided to build this MPC 1971 GTX. After I saw one in the new issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines. In doing some research I found out that there was 30 Hemi cars built and at least one was Plum Crazy Purple with the white and black interior so I’m going to replace the 440 that came in the kit with a Hemi. I’m also going with the Plum Crazy Purple and black and white interior. I’m using the Air Grabber hood from the 71 road runner kit instead of the 440 hood. I’ve started on the engine to see how it fits and looks like it’s going to be a good fit just need to make some engine mounts. I also added some filler panels in the engine bay to fill in the gaps. I’m probably going to stay with the molded in chassis. As always your comments are always welcome and appreciated. 

E9610786-E36D-414B-898C-97A049851309.jpeg

BCC28C2C-CEB7-486B-B92D-6740BA7D0D13.jpeg

2E88F6A9-2E3F-4877-982C-9AE84FD43812.jpeg

988490DE-D096-463C-9528-1BBC37DAA8BE.jpeg

• Like 2

Good start. Those simple additions are already a huge improvement to the engine bay. This should be a wicked looking beast when finished! Are you keeping the build stock, as in the rare car that inspired your build? Those old mpc chassis can look good with a little love, like separating the exhaust from the rear end, or at least replacing the torsion bars with some styrene tube or rod that is actually round and straight! Good bang-for-your-buck improvements!

23 hours ago, bisc63 said:

Good start. Those simple additions are already a huge improvement to the engine bay. This should be a wicked looking beast when finished! Are you keeping the build stock, as in the rare car that inspired your build? Those old mpc chassis can look good with a little love, like separating the exhaust from the rear end, or at least replacing the torsion bars with some styrene tube or rod that is actually round and straight! Good bang-for-your-buck improvements!

Thanks Rusty, I’m going with a factory stock and with Curtis recommendation to use the 71 Charger chassis I’m going to have everything separated now. 

22 hours ago, Bronzekeg said:

following, loved the design and lines of these. good luck with the build Dan!

Thanks Ken it’s going to be fun. 

20 hours ago, slusher said:

I always liked this body style . A great look for a fast car..

Thanks Carl 

2 hours ago, kelson said:

Should look great in Plum Crazy,but your build really deserves swapping in the Round 2 71'charger chassis.

Thanks Curtis, I just happened to have a old built 71 Charger  that needed a lot of repair and it’s already purple lol. I’m going to use the Charger chassis and the interior. 

335628C1-2A8E-43E0-B4FF-CE6A9EB57975.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 4:51 PM, catpack68 said:

Looking good so far👍 I have a MPC 72 Road Runner I want to build and I plan to use AMT 71 Charger inner fenders,chassis,engine and trans for mine too

Thanks Scott , with the Charger chassis the interior floor is molded in it and the MPC interior tub does not fit with it. I’m using the Charger interior with mine with some modifications. My Hemi is from the AMT 68 road runner. 

19 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

You've got nuggets, that's a very rare kit in unbuilt form! Did you pay a lot of bread for it?

Thanks Patrick, I don’t remember now what I payed for it anymore it was about 10 years ago but it was not cheap. 

8 hours ago, drodg said:

You know the box shows a GTX with a stripe that I have never seen on a 1:1 car.  Interesting and good luck with the build.

Thanks Dave, I have always wondered about that strip on the front of it and they didn’t even include it on the decal sheet. It looks nice on it and I probably would of used it lol. 

16 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Thanks Scott , with the Charger chassis the interior floor is molded in it and the MPC interior tub does not fit with it. I’m using the Charger interior with mine with some modifications. My Hemi is from the AMT 68 road runner. 

Thanks Patrick, I don’t remember now what I payed for it anymore it was about 10 years ago but it was not cheap. 

Thanks Dave, I have always wondered about that strip on the front of it and they didn’t even include it on the decal sheet. It looks nice on it and I probably would of used it lol. 

I looked up some original order guides etc for the 71 GTX and don't see that stripe offered.  Good luck with the build.

17 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Looks like it may have been a custom job. Notice how it's fogged over the wheelwells too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drodg said:

I looked up some original order guides etc for the 71 GTX and don't see that stripe offered.  Good luck with the build.

Dave I checked also there’s none. 

2 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Looks like it may have been a custom job. Notice how it's fogged over the wheelwells too.

Patrick it is a picture of a real car and I’m sure your right with it being a custom paint job. Each of the 4 stripes are fogged on the one side with the last one having more fog to it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mike C. said:

Thumbs up on those tires and wheels!

Thanks Mike

22 hours ago, kelson said:

Nice to see you swapped out the chassis,it looks 100%better!,your build is coming along nicely.👍

Thanks Curtis, And thanks again for recommending the 71 Charger. 

22 hours ago, slusher said:

Real nice grill and dash, Dan!

Thanks Carl 

8 hours ago, mrmike said:

Looking good!  Do you realize that your shifter is backwards?

Thanks Mike. Yea I saw that after I posted but it’s not glued in yet. Is this a little better. Thanks. 

BC5BE431-9116-44BD-9CC9-635056DFFD3A.jpeg

23 hours ago, BDSchindler said:

Great looking!  I was/am in the process of building a similar one based off of Revell's GTX (if I ever get back to it).  It won't be stock by a long shot with a Viper V10 in it!

I also opened the grill...

GTX Grill.jpeg

Wow Brian that’s a lot of detail to cut out the grill like you have it. The MPC grill is a 2 piece set up. What color are you going with?

Today I received my MAD distributors and started wiring both Hemi’s this build and my 70 Charger. I was able to get the dashboard installed at the correct location on my first try lol. I’m still waiting on weather here to be able to paint. 

52DAF5AB-D011-40E6-AE25-053D726EB0E2.jpeg

8192CC76-F19A-4A8F-954A-E060FD85ED57.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Wow Brian that’s a lot of detail to cut out the grill like you have it. The MPC grill is a 2 piece set up. What color are you going with?

My last thought was Black but lately, undecided.  The Revell kit is also a 2 piece with the grill/bumper surround and lower valance but I melded both into the body as well as the rear bumper.

579722664_GTXGrill2.jpeg.0a2ce5a62785e5152225fa08431f4e49.jpeg2021959522_GTXRear2.jpeg.821f9e115a3c5a8fd1c6bc3061b0d802.jpeg315777209_GTXRear.jpeg.b6a144d08a5c6f6a03a31f0f0303379a.jpeg465988212_GTXVIPEREngine.jpeg.2f4be80bcbdfe68e19bfb46e3e03e7d0.jpeg

• Like 3