Model Cars Magazine Forum

Testors- Model Master enamel accelerator

Lacquer thinner in enamels is great for spraying but not for brushing. Woodworkers and painters use something called "Japan drier" to speed the drying of enamels use for brushing. Personally, I've never used it so I can't give you any advice but it's well known so I'm sure you could Google up some information on the proper use. It's available at most hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. where you can buy it by the quart or larger and I think some art supply companies sell it in smaller bottles (Grumbacher maybe) so Hobby Lobby may also carry it.

6 hours ago, GEORGE LEMIRE said:

Does any one make a accelerator i can add to Testors and Model Master enamel paint in bottles to speed up curing time  it says enamel on the bottles for description. Great wealth of knowledge here.TY  George

I use lacquer thinner and mineral spirits to brush paint with enamels all the time. The best thing to do is mix it thin and apply a coat and let it flash before applying another to get coverage. Using Lacquer thinner to thin just gotta remember that it evaporates very fast... so work quick and in small areas. For longer work time use mineral spirits.

Doing 1 heavy coat especially of testors gloss enamel is going to take a long time to dry.

I would suggest a respirator be used because the fumes are rather unhealthy.

Thin to win!

3 hours ago, GEORGE LEMIRE said:

Thanks Steve Would the lacquer work for hand brushing the Testors and Model Master enamels.

Not particularly, no.

However, if I have a Testors enamel that has dried up somewhat and become very thick, I have thinned it back down with lacquer thinner.

But in that case, it then needs to be sealed very well, or it will dry up quickly.

Steve

22 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Not particularly, no.

However, if I have a Testors enamel that has dried up somewhat and become very thick, I have thinned it back down with lacquer thinner.

But in that case, it then needs to be sealed very well, or it will dry up quickly.

Steve

Steve in the future add a few drops of mineral spirits... its basically the original thinner. I buy it by the quart at home depot.

Won't evap near as quick as lacquer thinner.

2 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

Steve in the future add a few drops of mineral spirits... its basically the original thinner. I buy it by the quart at home depot.

Won't evap near as quick as lacquer thinner.

I understand that, but mineral spirits will not help it dry more quickly.

Not only that, but I've had Testors enamels curdle on me occasionally when thinned with mineral spirits.

Steve

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I understand that, but mineral spirits will not help it dry more quickly.

Not only that, but I've had Testors enamels curdle on me occasionally when thinned with mineral spirits.

Steve

That's interesting, I've never had it curdle..considering mineral spirits is essentially the thinner Testors used and what's in those tiny bottles they sell for a fortune.

thinning the paint will in fact make it dry quicker. That's not an opinion it's a fact.

The thinner you apply the faster it will dry.

I've painted far too many miniatures with the stuff and I'm not waiting days to keep painting. Typically overnight.

51 minutes ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

thinning the paint will in fact make it dry quicker. That's not an opinion it's a fact.

The thinner you apply the faster it will dry.

Of course.

But coverage also suffers the thinner it gets.

The best advice that I can give if someone is having issues with enamels drying too slowly, is forget about the gloss enamels and use flat.

It dries much faster and you can clear over it to achieve whatever finish you desire.

I probably only own about a half dozen jars of Testors gloss enamel, and that is generally used for air brushing, so it gets thinned with lacquer thinner.

Everything else that I have is flat.

Otherwise, you might want to consider switching to one of the many acrylic options available, especially for brush painting.

Lacquers are pretty much all that I'll use for bodies, and the only thing that gets brush painted as a rule on my projects are small details.

Any small parts that are large enough to get sprayed, get sprayed.

I've gotten to the point in my hobby career where there's no way I'm going to wait for days or weeks for enamel paint to dry when there are other options, and in most cases, much better ones.

Steve

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GEORGE LEMIRE said:

Thank you everyone for the great info i need to be more patient on dry times and will thin the enamels and also apply thinner coats.

You're Welcome.

As someone else mentioned above... it's good to invest in a food dehydrator preferably with temp/time settings.

I just got a new one from Amazon and I love it...

Cost about $50

20221118_200713.thumb.jpg.53ba7525cb4e8faf6e256a9777313ed2.jpg

Acrylics are also a fine choice 👌 I can vouch for Vallejo, Army painter,citadel, AK and Abteilung 502

I personally like Abteilung 502 best.

2 hours ago, LL3 Model Worx said:

You're Welcome.

As someone else mentioned above... it's good to invest in a food dehydrator preferably with temp/time settings.

I just got a new one from Amazon and I love it...

Cost about $50

20221118_200713.thumb.jpg.53ba7525cb4e8faf6e256a9777313ed2.jpg

Acrylics are also a fine choice 👌 I can vouch for Vallejo, Army painter,citadel, AK and Abteilung 502

I personally like Abteilung 502 best.

Yes vallejo is good especially there model colors great for painting tiny parts etc.  Abteilung 502 products are amazing so it doesn't surprise me you like them best lol, and AK makes fantastic products too especially there xtreme metal line of paints.  Nice you got a new dehydrator things are a huge time saver, and I'm not sure why more folks don't invest in one to save time instead of waiting weeks or months for paint to dry and do something lol.  I think i paid about $120 for mine but its large, but man being able to sand primer after a 20 min bake @ 115F its too nice.  Can sand 2K clear after bout 4 hours @ 120F too nice.  I know 115-120 sounds high, but I've never had a single issue at those temps.  I think it's one of the better investments to a modelers bench or shop, unless you're old retried and got the patience of a saint lol. 

Edited by Dpate
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Or if you use lacquers. ;)

Steve

True, but i still bake lacquers too lol.  90% of my paint is lacquer its too nice.  I don't bake scalefinishes though it flashes super quick and can be clear coated like 20-30 mins lol.

Edited by Dpate