Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Stock Fun

Altered Ego

Taking inspiration from dragcarz and his awesome Shirley Shahan AMC Pro Stock Hornet, I built this during the Chili Bowl Nationals.  I used the MPC Pro Stock Series Vega chassis and interior.  The Gremlin body and engine are from the AMT kit.  This required surprisingly little surgery on the chassis.  Most of the work was done behind the rear axle centerline.  The interior required the most work shortening the tub 10" between the driver seat and wheel tubs.  The Gremlin dash required a little work to fit the Vega tub, but everything else worked rather easily.  Even the Vega side windows fit with no alterations!  I do have a few detail items to finish up, but happy with the result.  This has me thinking about a Bob Glidden Plymouth Arrow.

IMG_6550.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Altered Ego said:

Taking inspiration from dragcarz and his awesome Shirley Shahan AMC Pro Stock Hornet, I built this during the Chili Bowl Nationals.  I used the MPC Pro Stock Series Vega chassis and interior.  The Gremlin body and engine are from the AMT kit.  This required surprisingly little surgery on the chassis.  Most of the work was done behind the rear axle centerline.  The interior required the most work shortening the tub 10" between the driver seat and wheel tubs.  The Gremlin dash required a little work to fit the Vega tub, but everything else worked rather easily.  Even the Vega side windows fit with no alterations!  I do have a few detail items to finish up, but happy with the result.  This has me thinking about a Bob Glidden Plymouth Arrow.

IMG_6550.jpg

Jeff I have also found that the Vega parts fit very nicely under other short wheel base bodies. I have two Sox & Martian projects started using the Vega as a donor kit

1 hour ago, Altered Ego said:

Wow, are you building a Colt?

No colt yet. I’m working on the 1978 dodge challenger starting with a 3-d printed body from a e-bay seller. This is my first attempt at a 3-d so far I’m finding the plastic on the hard and brittle side. After cutting off the mirrors I won’t be opening up the hood. The second project is the 1979 Omni starting out with a monogram charger snap kit 

As the owner of an Ex Pro Stock Colt race car, this thread caught my eye. It would be cool to see your projects on Mopar Pro Stocks. Here is my Colt at Indy in 1980 and the second picture is an Alderman Pro Stock Daytona I built 20 years ago. Darrell signed the roof.

Kocanda Patrick.jpg

ExideEdgeF.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Altered Ego said:

Very cool!  I am hoping MPC will re-do the other cars in the Pro Stock Series.  I would like to build a few Dusters.

I’m right with you on that. I think the sox & Martin duster would sell very well they could tool up a demon grill option. A 1972 cuda 2 & 1 with stock and a pro stock option would be a automatic good seller 

59 minutes ago, Altered Ego said:

Absolutely, I want to build an S&M car, a California Flash car and a Vanke car.

Yea and a mopar missile , and a Billy the kid demon , and Melvin yowel . I would also think that the pro stock pinto would be a hot seller and they already have Dyno don licensing 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Altered Ego said:

Here was a project that sat on in the cabinet for 20 years before being completed during Covid.  I had a tough time deciding how I wanted to paint the body before deciding to make a Plymouth version of the famed Rod Shop Pro Stocker.

O

One of the best pro stock kits ever made. I would like to see a remake of this one. I’ve sacrificed many of these for parts over the years, and the inventory is low 

On 1/15/2023 at 3:42 PM, Altered Ego said:

IMG_6550.jpg

Hey Jeff, I love the Wally Booth Gremlin, very cool build. Love the Vega also! Someone needs to do a Monza conversion.

• Like 1