Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Traditional Rod

Fuel Coupe

So While waiting for a few things to come in for my saddleback Dart I figure I would take a much needed break from the drag cars and something else. Along with Drag cars I love traditional hot rods too. NOT rat rods but more traditional feeling cars.

This may get drawn out as Im not too savy on what I'll need for this build and what kits to steal from as Im not too much on bashing kits.

So at any rate heres the frame as of tonight complete with lightening holes and the famous (in some circles) Bleed Sweep.

I've Z'ed the rear to accommodate a Winters quick change. the rear rails will comform to the inside lip of the body so as to clean this area up a bit.

I know its not much to look at right now but I will "try" to update as often as I can..

DSC_2102.jpg

Edited by TxRat

Saddleback is alive and well. I'll post it once its completed. Its in paint and waiting for the decals to come in.

Littlemans Deaths Doorstep lends its influences heavily to this car Dave, Good eye. As far as power I have a few different engines Im looking at and the nail is one of them.

here's the frame under the body

DSC_2103.jpg

DSC_2105.jpg

Edited by TxRat

I hope Im not adding too many updates. I tend to go a bit overboard at times.

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Heres a few pics from today. Looks like nailhead it is.I have to shorten the bones as they are touching the body bosses without the heim joints installed. got the floor supports done so I can start making the the floorboard. I reworked the trans to make it look like a switchpitch. The grill will sit low (not as low as pictured) so It will sit parallel to the cowl and not have to be cut down. Thanks for looking

DSC_2114.jpg

DSC_2112.jpg

DSC_2113.jpg

Edited by TxRat

Part of the problem with sweeping the rails is that that you run into clearance issues with the center portion of the frame dragging the ground if you lower the front too much(same as Z'ing). I have it pretty close to touching now. Now as far as changing the angle of the bones that's easy enough by just swinging them down some. then to get the caster back I would have to rework the bones more. Its something I'll look at Dave. Thanks

I hope Im not adding too many updates. I tend to go a bit overboard at times.

No such thing, fella.

DSC_2110.jpg

Driver to builder/mechanic- "What's that whistling noise from?"

"What whistling noise?"

"Everytime I turn into the wind I hear the flute solo from Aqualung!"

(You young'uns will have to Google that one)

Fantastic work. Definetly something that Ed Roth would appreciate.

Edited by Jantrix

• 2 weeks later...

With that channel job, I thought the passengers would be ridin with their knees in their chins! But now I can see it looks like it'll still be a comfortable ride.( I try to look at them as REAL cars,Ya kinda know wat I mean"?) Just sittin the way it does it looks EVIL! Never saw the Chassis mods done on a real one, but they LOOK cool! Nice ta see ya tackle a "different" type of car,as opposed to your comfort zone of 1/4 milers. This should'nt be any different Shane, it'll come out just as sharp! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

With that channel job, I thought the passengers would be ridin with their knees in their chins! But now I can see it looks like it'll still be a comfortable ride.( I try to look at them as REAL cars,Ya kinda know wat I mean"?) Just sittin the way it does it looks EVIL! Never saw the Chassis mods done on a real one, but they LOOK cool! Nice ta see ya tackle a "different" type of car,as opposed to your comfort zone of 1/4 milers. This should'nt be any different Shane, it'll come out just as sharp! :mellow::mellow:

Not too far out of my comfort zone George.

Heres my 32 chevy...

DSC_0341.jpg

• 1 month later...
I think it's looking great. I have an early 60's '32 coupe "in progress", i'm gettings tips and ideas for.

later, :D Oh, by the way, how's the Dart coming along?

The dart is fine, took a little break from it to work on this and pick up a few things for it. I'll have it finished in the near future..

Nice to see you're using something other than the common bent wire hinge solution. These look much better. Your door hinges look expecially nice. It looks like they(door hinges) have a temporary hinge pin. What will you be doing for the permanent pin?

Another interesting build. You have a knack with the tiny stuff.

Nice to see you're using something other than the common bent wire hinge solution. These look much better. Your door hinges look expecially nice. It looks like they(door hinges) have a temporary hinge pin. What will you be doing for the permanent pin?

Another interesting build. You have a knack with the tiny stuff.

the pins are about as permanent as they get Alyn.

Took you advice Dave and worked the holes in the hinges . they look tons better...

• 2 weeks later...

heres a small update on the 32..

The tank is made from brass tube and sheet, Its a bit small but with the rearend and battery space is at a premium

tank.jpg

DSC_2176.jpg

Added some detail to the fender wells

fenderwells.jpg

four link brackets on the rear

franklin.jpg

added a blister to the side of the body for the cowl steering and got "most" of the body work done.

side.jpg

Just to illustrate the doors and how they swing. nice but way too fragile..

DSC_2175.jpg

As always any comments are welcome...