Model Cars Magazine Forum

Traditional 50's style T bucket

Greg Pugh

I figured I better post this before everyone is sick of seeing this color. It seems like I'm seeing it everywhere these days. ;)

I picked this one up not too long ago in a purchase I made of about 40 kits. This one was an old 2n1 AMT kit from the 70's and all of the parts to make it a hot rod were all gone. Only the parts to make the stock version were still present and a lot of them were missing also. I figured I could throw this one in the parts pile or I could take on a major project and build it. I have never scratch-built anything or taken on a project like this so it was a big challenge but here she is.

The body and seat are the only pieces used of the original kit. Everything else is either aftermarket, kit bashed, parts box or scratchbuilt. Scratchbuilt items include the complete frame rails and floorboard (styrene sheet and half of a Bic pen for the transmission tunnel). The frame was Z'ed at the rear and the body was heavily channelled over the frame to get the low look. The seat-bottom was split to allow for the transmission tunnel due to the heavy channelling. The dashboard was extended in length to allow for gauges.

I had a blast building this car. Feel free to make comments or ask any questions. Thank you.

048-vi.jpg

050-vi.jpg

053-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

Greg, that is really nice. Simple and to the point. I really like the color choice....burnt orange with white works all the time. I like the cut down '32 grille surround. I keep meaning to build a t bucket rod and just don't get around to it, but you did and it looks very period correct. Nice job.

I like it! The windshield frame looks a little out of scale, kind of thick and chunky... but that's just my opinion. Looks cool, I like the color!

I know it :P It sticks out to me as the one thing that I'd either like to redo or wish I would've done differently. I would like to thin it out and have it plated but I'm afraid that if I go to pull it off at this point that it will pull paint with it. It kinda drives me crazy though 'cuz I'm a bit of a perfectionist. :D

Greg, that is really nice. Simple and to the point. I really like the color choice....burnt orange with white works all the time. I like the cut down '32 grille surround. I keep meaning to build a t bucket rod and just don't get around to it, but you did and it looks very period correct. Nice job.

Thank you! You should definately build one. It was probably the most enjoyable one I've built to date.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

So I took this car to a show last summer. It was an outdoor show as it was part of a 1:1 car show. No big deal....or so I thought.

Well my little sheet of paper they had me fill out with my name and the model info was slipped under my car. When I go to pick the car up, I find out that the wind came through and caught the sheet of paper, flipping my car upside down and snapping the windshield frame off. Mad as you-know-what, I brought my car home and I haven't touched it or looked at it since. Part of that reason being that I was trying to decide what to do about "fixing" the windshield frame cuz I was never really all that happy with it (I actually kinda took this whole thing as a sign to be honest). Well, I finally dug it out and decided it was time to do something with it. I tried several different windshield frames but I decided to stick with the original piece. I just took out the upper horizontal bar and thinned down the rest of the frame. I decided against plating it as I thought it would look a little wacky.

So without any further ado, here's the result. Let me know what you think. Improvement or not? And please be honest.

new_window1-vi.jpg

new_window2-vi.jpg

new_window3-vi.jpg

Edited by gpugh1976

That is nice.Taking spare parts to make something nice. Reminds me of this cartoon. It shows this guy's mother comming out to the garage,and sees this big mess,and wants the son to clean out the garage. Well,he sees this part conects to this part,and on,and on. Then his mom comes out into the garage,and sees this nice street rod. She asked "Where did that come from?" To which he replied "Mom, it's a long story"! :lol: