Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1/43rd Scale Kits

Here are the few I have in my photobucket;

1-48collection-1.jpg

The Camaro & Torino outer front are the Last issue kits.

The AMX & 36 Ford center front, Chevelle, left rear, yellow Jag & 48 Ford are

Junior Collector's early 70's issues

I believe the black Mustang is an original issue

Edited by Edsel-Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I don't recall the Avanti, or the Indy cars, either. I remember the Avanti in the 1/32 scale series, and the Indy cars came indivdually packaged in smaller boxes than standard annual or 3-in-1 kits, despite their alarming (for the time) parts-count. Otherwise, I have ALL of the AMT 1/43 kits, except for the GT-40, which I fondly remember building when I was just a kid. I've built the six re-issued 1969 models, and enjoyed them tremendously! Those six were re-issued without the display cases. I've also cut the doors, hood, and trunk from one of the '57 Chevy kits, and begun to add the tri-power 427 and IRS from a Monogram Ultimates '67 Vette into the little Bel-Air. Hey! The 289 and photo-etched wire wheels from Monogram's 1/43 Cobra kit might be right at home in the AMT '48 Ford kit, too! Or the Revell '53 Ford pickup! Time to start watchin' Ebay for more Monogram Ultimates!

• 9 months later...

I love AMT's 1/43 scale cars. Some of the most satisfying builds in my collection are different models from this series. The early versions were normally molded in fairly nice colored plastic. Something in general I dislike. But on these, it was fun just pulling them out of box. Add just a little glue, and in less then a half hour you had a fairly nice looking model.

Later versions had to be painted so they took in little more time. I avoid the Matchbox versions. As noted they had no chrome plated parts. With Alclad that maybe not so bad. But, when the Matchbox versions were out, there was only silver paint.

I still own several. Had more in the past. Wish I still had some of them that can not in be easily found now. I also wish Round 2 would reissue they kits, molded to different colors (Round 2, please all other kits in white!) and with chrome. I'd buy every one of them.

I planned on including photos of a couple of early, molded in color versions. But I'm new to posting stuff here and haven't figured out how to add pictures to these posts yet. As soon as I figure it out, I will post photos.

Uncle Scott

OK, I went and watched the video on how to add photos. Let's give this a try.

There we go. Here are two for you to see.

Uncle Scott

Edited by Casey

The `Cuda is loosely based on the `68 due to the flat header panel, but yet has a GTO hood scoop. The rear side window openings look like they were cut using a hacksaw, and the windshield is waaaay too high.

<sigh….> Too bad it wasn't stock like the Chevelle & the others... :(

Something I've been wondering since I had one as a kid: was the MPC Zingers '57 Chevy based on or copied from the AMT 1/43 kit?

Very Likely. The Zingers were inspired by a builder named Denny Johnson from Ohio who used some old Mini-lindy and AMT small kits and put big engines in them and entered them in an MPC contest back in the Early 70s.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...