Model Cars Magazine Forum

1950's suburban

raymond

I saw someone in a lowrider forum build one of these and was hooked. He directed me where it was sold and I went for it. The initial plan was to do an old school look / feel on it. Once I started to work on it I came across a 1:1 build and went after a close replica of it. Here is my progess on it so far.

LA TORTUGA (the turtle)

here is pic of real thing

5xnbkw8.jpg

1165686.jpg

1165675.jpg

I love these old trucks, and this one is looking great! Looks like you nailed the color and the detail is good.

One thing I often wondered about is, why did GM think that putting a 90hp six cylinder engine in a three ton truck was a good idea? I've driven a 1951 pick-up and a 53 panel truck, though the pick-up wasn't too bad, the wagon seemed frighteningly underpowered.

Wow, that's cool! A friend had one of those in H.S; all primered black and gutted, and we used to pile a dozen guys and surfboards in it and travel up and down the so.cal. coast.

That brings back some fond memories...thanks :lol:

Here's a little more inspiration...

102906WingsWheelsRotors2130-vi.jpg

Do you suppose it could be lowered a bit more? :blink:

I wonder how they got it there. It seems like it could only be driven on an airstrip, and I can't imagine driving it up onto a trailer.

That's one thing about lowering vehicles, you can only go so far and still drive them.

It's not ment to be drivin in this position, only shown . Whats really cool , is to start hoppin at a street signal and see some old peeps expression .There jaws are still there after you pull off ....

OK, that makes more sense. It would seem that I have much to learn about lowrider culture. I guess I'm one one of the "old peeps" you mentioned. :lol:

(with fat fingers)

Edited by David G.

heres pics of my dads 53 that he built, running boards were laying on the the ground when the bags were deflatted, was a colorado forestry vehicle, it was clean my mom stripped it, heres the link to the pictures and what not(stupid picture uploader thingy, arg)http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191104, 7 months of eating ramon noodles :lol::lol::P , hahaha

heres pics of my dads 53 that he built, running boards were laying on the the ground when the bags were deflatted, was a colorado forestry vehicle, it was clean my mom stripped it, heres the link to the pictures and what not(stupid picture uploader thingy, arg)http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191104, 7 months of eating ramon noodles :lol:;):lol: , hahaha

here's Big 'N' Grumpy's link for, well, probably George53 :lol:

That sure IS on the ground!

Edited by Foxer