Model Cars Magazine Forum

American LeFrance Car Hauler

A friend at work bought a box of 3 partial American Lefrance firetruck kits mixed together in a box at a yard sale for $2.00. He didn't do anything with it and gave it to me. It contained parts from two ladder trucks and one pumper truck. The first time I saw one of these on the shelf i wanted to build one into a car hauler, but they are a little expensive so it never happened till now.

I used pieces from all three cabs to lengthen and raise the cab to make a sleeper area out of it. I still have to build the interior, going to make a bed, refrigerator and some cabinets. The engine will get moved from under the cab to under the front of the bed. The framefrom the ladder truck will work with a few modifications. The bed right now is thin cardboard so i can decide how to start cutting plastic.

Thanks for looking,

Dave

DSCN2804.jpg

DSCN2802.jpg

DSCN2795.jpg

Edited by Towmaster Dave

Well, that's different! I like it.

Over the weekind I actually saw an American-LaFrance Eagle that had been made into a dump. It was somewhere in Massachustts, or maybe Rhode Island.

Now THAT i have to keep my eye out for!! i run the 84/495/90/95 corridor weekly, it has to be around there somewhere...lol

Scott

Very cool conversion :)

Just a thought, you might want to lengthen the dove-tail area, or lower the side height of the bed to reduce the deck height. Most vehicles that are worthy of being hauled on it would get hung up at the "break-over"

point between the deck, and dove tail.

DSCN2814.jpg

DSCN2813.jpg

DSCN2811.jpg

A couple pics without the bed for you Jim. The frame is the stock frame from the kit except the notches cut out for the motor. which is getting moved back closer to the rear axle so the cab will have a lower floor and won't have to be tilted up for engine access. I also have one side of the bed done except the door on the cargo box.

Dave

Dave,

That is interesting.. is that the pumper chassis, or the ladder chief ?

I was considering using the chassis from the aerial, ( assumeing it is longer ) but for what I want, it might be easier to cut the frame off behind the cab, and scratchbuild the rear section.

From the look of that, the engine is going to be pretty close-coupled (maybe just a u-joint). My plans call for a turbocharged Detroit with automatic, I may mount the radiator,engine, trans, and rear axle in a single power pod, and airspring that..

Moving the engine out solves the main problem that I saw, lack of interior room. Original thought here was a luxury high speed autobahn cruiser set up for four persons...

Anyway...yours looks good, and it's nice that you have done most of the engineering for me ;) ... Thanks..

Jim A.

( most likely you won't see mine anytime soon.. too many projects on the bench now, and I'm slow...)

Jim, I am using the Ladder Cheif frame for this build, I also have some parts from the pumper and the frame is about 4 3/4 inches shorter and is closer to a standard box frame. This truck will have a driveline about an inch long and full access from the top of the bed. I have to make a trip to my parts guy to see if he has any semi kits I can get some wheels and maybe a turbo charged engine.

Dave

Here is an old Mack Fire truck turned onto a Hauler... The cab was a Mack Factory 4 door and origionaly had a pump and pannel between the fron and rear doors.. not to hijack but some food for thought on Old frie truck kits built to moder dat car haulers. This was in Harrisburg 2010 at a fire muster.

PAPumpPrimers132-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PAPumpPrimers133-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

PAPumpPrimers134-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Thanks for the pics of the Mack, Somebody did a nice conversion on it.

I got a few more things done over the weekend, I cut the engine access and another area for storing chains and straps towards the end of the bed top. I also found a small mistake in the cab, it was 2mm shorter in length and highth on one side, so i had to do some cutting and refilling, glad this is plastic!!! Here are a couple new pics, Thanks for all the great comments, and thanks for looking,

Dave

DSCN2817.jpg

DSCN2816.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got some more work done this weekend on the car hauler.

I got some white promer on the cab for checking the bodywork, so far so good, a little more work and its done, ;D . Spent most of my time working on the bed. I got the angle trim all around the the top edge of the bed, the engine cover done with latch. ficed my misscut on the wheelwell, got the taillights cut into the back panel and finally started on the ramp storage slot.

Here are a couple pics for ya guys and also THANKS for all the great comments!!!!!

Dave

DSCN2966.jpg

DSCN2967.jpg

DSCN2969.jpg

• 9 months later...