Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 612 Custom

Phildaupho

I going to make Model Cars my preferred forum so I needed some practise with posting

DSCN3167-vi.jpg

DSCN3169-vi.jpg

I saw a Ferrari 612 Scaglietti for the first time in the Ferrari tent at the Monterey Historics in 2004. I was impressed with the large size of the car and its over-all shape but here were many aspects of its styling I found awkward. I have attempted to correct some of these deficiencies on this Revell model. I consider this model a CUSTOM just as much as I would a Led-Sled ’49 Merc.

-The side coves which originally appeared on a Ferrari one-off car in the early fifties found their way onto C-1 Corvettes and forever will be associated with those cars. At first I was going to fill them in but decided to just soften them and add a functional vent behind the front wheel well. Phoney vents were used on ’58 to ’62 Corvettes. Most Ferraris have had some sort of front fender vent. These vents are genuine Ferrari in that they came from the Revell Enzo.

-I found that the hood was featureless. Most Ferraris have had a hood scoop, a power-bulge or some sort of vents. I ended up using the wedge shape from the front-end of the Enzo but it took me a long time to decide if it should be a scoop or power-bulge. As it would have been difficult to make the scoop truly functional I went with the bulge.

-The view of the Scaglietti I find the least attractive is the rear-end. I do not care for either the taillights or the small trunk spoiler kick-up that looks too far forward of the trailing edge. I replaced the ugly taillights with those from the Enzo. The spoiler was completely eliminated. I also added a slight buttress to carry the roofline straight to the turn of the trunk.

-Up front the only modification made was to enlarge, narrow and reshape the side vents in harmony with the grill.

-Side windows were left off to give true hardtop look and trimmed with chrome

-All seams filled. Door openers shaved. Side sills, front splitters and rear valence were molded to body.

-Wheels, tires and brakes from the Enzo. Spindles lowered

-Paint is a colour that befits a custom Ferrari – CARAMELLA- ROSSA better known as Candy Red [Testor’s Enamel decanted to airbrush]. It should be noted that a wealthy Ferrari collector commissioned Pinnifarina to redesign and build a custom 612 Scaglietti called the Kappa with similar changes. This car was the cover story for February 2007 issue Forza magazine.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the restyling. It does look stock in your redesign. Nothing stands out. I also like the rear end now. One question though: how did you chrome the window edging and mirrors? They look fantastic! I would really like to know that technique.

cposada...

In regard to chroming the window frames and mirrors I just used Bare-Metal foil. It took a couple of attempts for the mirrors because of their complex shape and even at that there are some wrinkles. For the window frames I scored the curve around the frames fairly deeply with the back edge of a number 11 Exacto blade.

- Phil

I love the restyling. It does look stock in your redesign. Nothing stands out. I also like the rear end now. One question though: how did you chrome the window edging and mirrors? They look fantastic! I would really like to know that technique.

cposada...

Thanks for your interest. There are other photos posted in the gallery or you can go to my fotki site

http://public.fotki.com/phildaupho/models_of_sports_cars/ferrari-612-custom/

- Phil

Your text coming after the photos threw me also ... I thought it was stock. The changes are well thought out and execution is beautiful! I would like to see more photos to take it all in.

I going to make Model Cars my preferred forum so I needed some practise with posting

Hello there friend!! Excellent build up amigo this particular Ferrari has grown on me.. very cool design and feel free to post away fella!! Also nice decision on the choice of playgrounds too!! Been here jus over 3 yrs and gotta say alot of the best ppl in this hobby are here and boy does it get thrown down round here' lol

Thanks fer posting and keep on wit the keepin on!!