Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any Model kit companies ever sponsor a race car?

I asked this on another forum and got a few answers but several people their said they thought there was more that they couldn't remember so I am asking here.

Who and what was sponsored by a model kit company? The few I already know I will list. Also if you have any pics of the car sponsored post them up it would be neat to see.

-Gene Snow's Revellution (Revell) guess that's why it's spelled with 2 L's

-Jungle Jim (Revell) Which of his cars were sponsored

-The Piranha drag car (AMT) - this is the car that made me ask the question

-Oscar Kovaleski's can-am car possibly carried Aurora and MPC stickers (Aurora, MPC) I couldn't find any pictures of the car with anything to confirm this

-Bob Hamilton's Red Alert Drag 1970 Chevelle (AMT)

-Tamiya possibly sponsors some salon racers but I couldn't find anything to confirm

-AMT possibly sponsored several stock cars but I couldn't find any info on this either

Just for some added content two slot car companies sponsor(ed) race cars in the last few years that I know of. SCX sponsored a super bike in 2008. I am not sure if they still do. I have seen pictures of the bike and on tv coverage but for the life of me can't find any now. Fly Car Model sponsored a WTCC car about 6 years ago that was also sponsored by an Amsterdam brothel at the same time. Guess they wanted to cover the entire family with that one. That one I won't show a pic of but it's not hard to find.

If you have any photos of those listed post them up (with model sponsorship showing) and if you know any others not mentioned here or can confirm any of the possibles definitely post up.

-Oscar Kovaleski's can-am car possibly carried Aurora and MPC stickers (Aurora, MPC) I couldn't find any pictures of the car with anything to confirm this

I have the decal set from Fisher/Motor Racing Models that include them. The catch being the reference drawing for decal placement is for a McLaren M8A/M12 which I haven't found reference indicating Oscar raced one!? Time to hit the Books!

Another Race Car that had at least partial Model Car maker's sponsership were the Chaparral 2's.

Ed

IN 1966-67 (TAMIYA) SPONSERED A PORSCHE-910 CARRERA-10 ON THE REAR OF THE REAL CAR(BEHIND THE REAR ENGINE COMPARTMENT EXTERIOR) TAMIYA HAS ITS LOGO. I'AM BUILDING THE 1ST ISSUE KIT AT THE PRESENT 1/12 SCALE. BY THE BY (TAKI RACING TEAM) #28 A LOT OF AREA TO PAINT AND DETAIL. I DECIDED TO CUT THE DOORS OPEN IN A FIXED POSITION WISH ME LUCK I NEED TO GET IT DONE BY APRIL FOR (IPMS CONTEST)

NOt exactly model companies involved--BUT, at Indianapolis, in both 1970 and 1971, Johnny Lightning beat Hot Wheels! Yup, Hot Wheels decals on Dan Gurney's Olsonite Eagles, and of course, Al Unser Sr's cars? Johnny Lightning Special.

Cox, the model airplane engine and also slot car kit mfr, was an accessory sponsor on All American Racers' Olsonite Eagles in 1966-67 at Indianapolis.

Art

I have the decal set from Fisher/Motor Racing Models that include them. The catch being the reference drawing for decal placement is for a McLaren M8A/M12 which I haven't found reference indicating Oscar raced one!? Time to hit the Books!

Another Race Car that had at least partial Model Car maker's sponsership were the Chaparral 2's.

Ed

Jim Hall's Chaparral 2C and 2D both wore COX decals, as in LM Cox, who produced 1/24 scale slot car kits of both cars. But, those were at the "accessory" level of sponsorship.

Art

Cox has sponsored almost all the Chapparels. Tamiya and Kyosho have sponsored mainly Japanese-run race teams, mostly Japanese touring cars and LeMans cars. There have been quite a few die cast companies sponsoring LeMans type cars. There's usually a direct relationship with the model company and the team they sponsor. They usually end up having a model or die cast of the car at some point down the line.

The Lotus 107 F1 car was sponsored by Tamiya in '92 as replicated by the Tamiya kit #20037. There is a Lotus on display at the Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham Ala. that has the Tamiya logos displayed also. I have lost my pics of it but have found some from a friend of mine who went with me. I'll post the link for his pics.

http://public.fotki.com/BrianVenable/trips/barber-motorsports-/img-1993.html

NOt exactly model companies involved--BUT, at Indianapolis, in both 1970 and 1971, Johnny Lightning beat Hot Wheels! Yup, Hot Wheels decals on Dan Gurney's Olsonite Eagles, and of course, Al Unser Sr's cars? Johnny Lightning Special.

Cox, the model airplane engine and also slot car kit mfr, was an accessory sponsor on All American Racers' Olsonite Eagles in 1966-67 at Indianapolis.

Art

Cox was also a primary sponsor on Bill Schifsky's Pinto bodied funny car in the early 70's.

I can't believe how many people responded before Ken listed The Snake and The Mongoose. This is starting to happen so often that I've finally figured out that the whole world did not revolve around the SoCal auto scene in the 60's. It was just that way for some of us.

Your point is more valid than I wanted it to be. I was misremembering a Monogram sponsorship (I'd have sworn)

but being kitted doesn't equal sponsorship and there were no Monogram logos on any of them that I know of and I haven't been able to find any examples on the interweb. So, off the list for them.

Edited by samdiego

I am looking for race cars with actual sponsorship (any type) on the car as was said just because it was kitted doesn't mean it was sponsored. Anything toy car is fine to mention but keep it to diecast, model, and slot car (since I mentioned that already).

Here is a pick of the snake and Mongoose cars.

Hot-Wheels-Mongoose-295x420.jpg

Alex Tagliani Hot Wheels Indy car

2477-11%20Alex%20Tagliani.jpg

Also, I just found out that AMT didn't just sponsor the Piranha they built it.

Edited by ra7c7er

If I am not mistaken, Ohio George Montgomery's famous '33 Willys gasser wore AMT logos at various points in its racing career. And I believe that Montgomery's "Multi-Maverick" had MPC decals on it, although it's my understanding that that car was never actually raced.

George Montgomery did race the Maverick, though not much. He went back to the red Mustang. I read an interview where he said MPC bankrolled the construction of the Maverick in exchange for the rights to make the kit. That's not too far-fetched: there were kits of four of his cars (AMT's '33 Willys, MPC's '67 and '69 Mustangs and the Maverick). Briefly, all four were available at the same time. Gassers in general, and George Montgomery in particular, were apparently pretty popular with model car builders in the Sixties and Seventies.

I don't know if it counts as "sponsorship", but I have seen a number of photos of the Motown Missile '72 Barracuda with small MPC decals on the quarter panels.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Revell sponserships in the 70's : Ed McCulloch's (also the Whipple& McCulloch's) Revellution Dodge Demon & Dart Sport, Gene Snow's Snowman Chevy Vega & Monza, Roland Leong's Hawaiian Dodge Chargers, Don Schumachers Super Shoe Chevy Vega, Jungle Jims Chevy Vega & Monza, Ken Veney's Vega (I believe this is the only BB/FC (alcohol) car Revell sponsered), in T/F : Tony Nancy's The Loner FE & his RE, Jeb Allen's Praying Mantis RE cars (Blue& Red), Keeling & Clayton's California Charger's FE & RE (also their Ford Pinto & Mustang, Pontiac Firebird F/C's). Recently they released a model of the Bebee&Mullagian FE Fighting Irish Dragster but I don't believe Revell ever sponsered the car in the 70's.Also just remembered (how could I forget!)Wild Willie Borch's Wild Man Chevy powered Dodge Charger F/C. Right now I have Jungle Jims Vega, 3 of the Aces Revellution's (the red car)& the original Whipple&McCulloch Revellution (blue car) sitting unbuilt in my room. All great models.