Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will a WOO sprint car fit on the new midget trailers?

Anyone out there tried to set a WOO (World of Outlaw) sprint car on one of the Kurtis Midget trailers? Also does anyone have any photos of or just put the WOO car in one of the Galaxie Limited trailers?

I know the WOO cars were made a little bigger than advertised scale and I want to make sure they will fit before I consider investing in a couple trailers.

Edited by ra7c7er

I would hardly think so given that a sprint car is nearly twice as big as a midget!

A Galaxie trailer would be a better choice, but keep in mind that, even in the era that those Monogram kits represent, most of the big WoO teams were using full size 18 wheelers.

I would hardly think so given that a sprint car is nearly twice as big as a midget!

A Galaxie trailer would be a better choice, but keep in mind that, even in the era that those Monogram kits represent, most of the big WoO teams were using full size 18 wheelers.

Drew hit it 100%..Most of the big teams carried 2 or 3 full cars, and lots of spares....just cannot do that on an open trailer.

I have seen teams pull up with two trailers and four or five cars. I am just wanting to do a weekend warrior type team with one car and a small trailer like many of the smaller teams. I figured the midget trailer would be to small but it would have been perfect for part of what I wanted to do.

While you certainly could use one of those Revell trailers, they are a little longish.

trailer01-vi.jpg

It wouldn't be a big deal to shorten it, but be sure to retain the dual axles.

Back in the '80s I scratchbuilt this one from Evergreen.

trailer02-vi.jpg

But I have to tell you even the small teams these days are using large enclosed fifth wheels pulled by toter-homes.

The best solution, I think, would be to think back dated and build something from the '70s or '80s. Which is kinda where those Monogram WoO cars are at anyway! :lol:

The Big Buck teams run the trailers similar to NASCAR in that they haul multiple cars and lots of spares. The stacker trailers hauled behind toter homes are popular too with the well funded teams.

The local track racers or low buck teams tend to use the Galaxie type trailers as they can keep everything locked up and stored easier with an enclosed trailer. I have seen some use an old U-Haul type van with an open trailer, pickup and enclosed trailer, van or motorhome to haul a trailer to a race too.

I am surprised that there hasn't been a modern NASCAR type trailer offered.

thanks everyone. I know what I am going to do now. I will be using the Galaxie trailers as I originally planned.

It would be nice if someone made a Modern Nascar type trailer but I doubt Revell or R2 would be the ones to make it. Maybe Galaxie if we as modelers showed interest in it. The Italeri Haulers are nice but they are just shells everything would have to be custom built inside.

BTW guys I agree with all of you for what teams use. I am a pit steward and photographer at a local race track and in the summer I attend races three times a week. I even race on a part time basis. I have seen everything from 100,000+ trailers to home built 500 dollar trailers being used.

thanks everyone. I know what I am going to do now. I will be using the Galaxie trailers as I originally planned.

It would be nice if someone made a Modern Nascar type trailer but I doubt Revell or R2 would be the ones to make it. Maybe Galaxie if we as modelers showed interest in it. The Italeri Haulers are nice but they are just shells everything would have to be custom built inside.

BTW guys I agree with all of you for what teams use. I am a pit steward and photographer at a local race track and in the summer I attend races three times a week. I even race on a part time basis. I have seen everything from 100,000+ trailers to home built 500 dollar trailers being used.

Moebius might be a better choice for a modern race trailer, to go along with the new International Lonestar..........(maybe we could try to get Art to suggest this to them......)

I lived in Oskaloosa Iowa for most of my life, but I also lived in Knoxville for a few years. Most of the big teams came in with the full size trailers, but some of the local budget guys would use 5th wheel trailers like the big Galaxie Limited jobs. The latter very seldom had any advertising on the trailers.

the AMT Nascar and Indy trailers from the late 80's-early 90's would probably work too and make some nice Sprint team trailers. i know they are little more than recycled moving van box trailers but thats where i think they would work out perfectly for replicating a smaller budget team. combine the trailer with one of the older tractor kits and you could have a deal where someone bought a used or retired moving truck and trailer and refitted them to work as thier racecar hauler. over on another board i asked what the purpose of single drive axle tractors with sleepers were and was told that many moving companies used that style with their trailers, i'm thinking that it could make for a cool raceteam hauler.

Wow you must have been in my brain. I am doing exactly what you said with "converting" the hauler to be a race trailer. I am using it for a fantasy ARCA team though. So far I have the cars sitting on the deck of the trailer and I have "welded" the doors on one side of the trailer closed.