Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius International Lonestar Sleeper Cab

if this is an indicator of how the Hudson and Chrysler kits will be, I'm pumped! For a first look, this box is HUGE, and FULL. It's about 12" by 18" and nearly 6" deep, well over 2 lbs of plastic inside. Parts are cleanly molded, and I do mean cleanly molded, chrome is about as flawless as model kit chrome can be.

The decal sheet is simply beautiful, almost photographic--not just the gauges for the dash, but the entire instrument panel is reproduced (small individual panels), and wood grain decals for the sleeper floor and cabinetry.

But it's the instruction BOOK that shines here, and not just because it's printed on glossy paper stock either. Every step of construction is shown, not only in carefully written text with exploded view drawings, but each step also includes color pictures of the completed subassembly, with parts number callouts were they make sense. Even the engine is shown in multiple views, painted in correct colors. The last page is a complete chart of suggested colors, all in Testors, the full range of Testors paints from all their lines. And the cover of the instruction booklet? Looks as if it could be a sales brochure to tempt a real trucker into buying one.

All in all, at first look, this is one fantastic truck kit!

Art

Uh... have any of you people seen the December issue of MCM with this kit on the cover!!!???? Add a buildup/review by Tim Ahlborn with pictures!!!???

Yeah yeah I've seen all of that, but I want to see what the box art, manual and decals look like...plus how the contents are packed, box size, etc. I'm nosy and I'm really looking forward to this one, and can't go to NNL East to see it in person. :lol:;)

Yeah yeah I've seen all of that, but I want to see what the box art, manual and decals look like...plus how the contents are packed, box size, etc. I'm nosy and I'm really looking forward to this one, and can't go to NNL East to see it in person. :);)

What he said!

I have two kits winging their way to me now, but I'm impatient! Art has one now. ;)

:(

Edited by Danno

I've never seen the inside of the Moebius Lonestar kit, but I think I can describe what's in the box... it's got the instruction booklet, whuch probably resembles a smallish magazine, some Lonestar-shaped parts attached to several large plastic 'sprues', some tires, a chrome tree, and some decals on a piece of paper with a bluish tint on the back. Close your eyes and imagine... :P:P:P:P:P

:P Art, given the dimensions of the box,and the two lb weight , I bet the truck will retail at 150.00 U. S. I best hope Michiaels decides to carry this one . I will have to use a coupon ! :( Ed Shaver Edited by Eshaver

:blink: Art, given the dimensions of the box,and the two lb weight , I bet the truck will retail at 150.00 U. S. I best hope Michiaels decides to carry this one . I will have to use a coupon ! :P Ed Shaver

Suggested retail has been indicated as around $70. Unless that has recently changed.

:(

i haven't seen one of these truck in real life yet. wondering where IH derived the body design... Delahaye? now that is baroque at it's best.

69.99? haven't Moebius heard how much truck kits go for lately? if they aren't careful, they might drum up sales!

(since mainstream CAR kits are well past twenty bucks retail...)

i haven't seen one of these truck in real life yet. wondering where IH derived the body design... Delahaye? now that is baroque at it's best.

69.99? haven't Moebius heard how much truck kits go for lately? if they aren't careful, they might drum up sales!

(since mainstream CAR kits are well past twenty bucks retail...)

I saw this truck on TV some where a looong while back at an unvailing at that time they also had an old school IH pickup truck

that had been a custom redesign. Forgot the year model of the pickup but that started the design of the Lonestar.

A model of the new IH concept PU Truck would be nice also.

I saw this truck on TV some where a looong while back at an unvailing at that time they also had an old school IH pickup truck

that had been a custom redesign. Forgot the year model of the pickup but that started the design of the Lonestar.

A model of the new IH concept PU Truck would be nice also.

I did some quick searching, and according to the International website, the Lonestar's looks were inspired from the late 30s D series trucks like this one.

1822525.jpg

Here's a link to a section on the International website featuring a short video on the Lonestar story, and a nice truck called the DMAXX, too.

Lonestar story

• 2 months later...

I dont know if I can do this or not but here goes. I recieved my kit of the Moebius Lonestar , and after looking it over and not starting on it , Ihave to say this is the best looking truck kit going. I have also followed Dave Metzner's build and follow up notes which is a good thing. If there was ever a truck kit deserveing of " Kit of the Year " this kit well deserves it . Thank you Dave Metzner , Art Anderson and Mebius for a great kit of a new truck . I think other truck builders and my self hope to see other new truck kits come from you in the future.

+1.

The Lonestar is the most gorgeous release from a domestic company in years.

That, along with Moebius's ability to respond positively - instead of histrionically - to some carefully considered criticism, makes me very optimistic about their upcoming cars...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis