Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Scott... thanks man. i cant wait to get paint and more details added to this. i am getting excited about having the rework done and moving on to more of this build.

Charlie... thanks Bud. I am starting to feel I have done this a time or two lol. Actually I think i may be able to do this in my sleep now...haha kidding.

Joe (Batzilla).... Thank you for the kind comments. I fugure the more I do things the better I get...lol :lol: or is it that it seems easier the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time you redo it. I find that since I am taking my time with things its turning out much better than expected.

Joe (Prostreet)... Thanks again man, I appreciate it. Also you have a PM incase you missed it.

Chris this is dynamite man...I'm really gonna try to dig in and make 1/16 happen for guys like you! You guys ARE 1/16!!!!..Make it happen ...make me proud bro! You are so important to our cause...tell everyone you know a 1/16 70's rrrrRRRevellution is begining! And it is THE choice for the advanced and aging modeler!

Love ya in modeling

Art the"Chili Dog"

Hey Chris...just spent the last hour or so going through this build.Fantasic!! You use a CAD program called Solid Works. I looked it up and wow lol. Is using a CAD program beneficial to your builds? For someone who's never really scratch build anything ebfore, but will be easing myself in to it gradually (I ahve some ideas and there's no time like the present)..would it be a benefit to me? I have so many questions about this but I'll resstrain myself. You have something better to do, as the last 42 pages have shown :) Keep up the fantastic work :)

Chris this is dynamite man...I'm really gonna try to dig in and make 1/16 happen for guys like you! You guys ARE 1/16!!!!..Make it happen ...make me proud bro! You are so important to our cause...tell everyone you know a 1/16 70's rrrrRRRevellution is begining! And it is THE choice for the advanced and aging modeler!

Love ya in modeling

Art the"Chili Dog"

Tell me about it...I just found out I need bi-focals !! I guess this is another reason bigger is better!

Art... Thank you man I appreciate it. I appreciate everything you and all of the others are putting their personal time in to help promote this 1/16 scale building. I think its fantastic and want to support it how ever I can. I have to tell you that I love the 1/16th scale since it is a little easier to detail being that its a little bigger. I am all excited about Dave being able to bring one kit back to start and hopefully it will build from there. Trust me that I will be buying a hand full for sure.

Bart... Thank you for the kind words bud. I have been really happy with how its turning out. and just like you I can't wait to get onto more of the engine. Although I will have to admit seeing a bunch of the details you have done on your pro mod, its making me have to step up my game even more. I love all of the working linkages that you have done with your foot pedals and the door handles. Its got my mind brewing with a few ideas for this build. just trying to figure out how to impliment them ;)

Lee... Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to look a this build.

Mike...I have been using SolidWorks for the past 5 years with my jobs and before that was Pro-E and AutoCAD with the industries that I have been in and have been using it on pretty much a daily basis you can say. I would tell you that for scrach building you don't need to use a CAD program, you can always draw by hand with paper and pencil too. I will admit that there has been a few parts on this build which I drew up, printed out, cut out the part on paper and then glued to sheet plastic with white glue. From there I cut the part out to the shape and drill holes if need be, then you have a new part. My advice for you since you are just starting to scratch build is to not bite off more than you can chew. Start off with some small parts and work yourself up. My number one piece of advice is to have patience and to take your time.... ok so 2 pieces of advice :lol: . Don't let yourself get discouraged if the part doesn't turn out right the first time. also don't be afraid to try something new. I can speak at this first hand. I can't tell you how many parts on this chassis that I redid over and over until I was happy with it. The more you practice the better and easier it gets and you find little tricks that work for you. I started out years ago by doing a little scrach building. my first thing I think I did was a roll cage, oh wait it may of been cutting open a trunk and making it hinge for it. then after that I tried something a little more. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you'd like. I will be more than happy to answer them. I have learned alot from others here and we have some amazing builders on this site. I am glad to be part of all this fun that goes on here. And if it wasn't for Gregg we wouldn't have the message boards that we have here. A big thank you goes out to him.

That chassis mockup looks great. Your dedication to getting the details just right is paying off.

Wayne... Thank you so much for the kind words. Seeing your builds and everyone else's here have inspired me to do the best I can. It has been fun so far and now seeing the chassis fall together has made me realize that I did the right thing by going back and redoing it.

Stay tuned i may try to sit at the bench for a few tonight. I won't make any promises but I hope to have a couple of updated pics for everone.

Tell me about it...I just found out I need bi-focals !! I guess this is another reason bigger is better!

Hey Mike another great investment is an Opti-Visor.... I don't know what I would do without mine now. I have found that on this build Have become totally dependant on it haha... it helps seeing those little details

Mike...I have been using SolidWorks for the past 5 years with my jobs and before that was Pro-E and AutoCAD with the industries that I have been in and have been using it on pretty much a daily basis you can say. I would tell you that for scrach building you don't need to use a CAD program, you can always draw by hand with paper and pencil too. I will admit that there has been a few parts on this build which I drew up, printed out, cut out the part on paper and then glued to sheet plastic with white glue. From there I cut the part out to the shape and drill holes if need be, then you have a new part. My advice for you since you are just starting to scratch build is to not bite off more than you can chew. Start off with some small parts and work yourself up. My number one piece of advice is to have patience and to take your time.... ok so 2 pieces of advice :lol: . Don't let yourself get discouraged if the part doesn't turn out right the first time. also don't be afraid to try something new. I can speak at this first hand. I can't tell you how many parts on this chassis that I redid over and over until I was happy with it. The more you practice the better and easier it gets and you find little tricks that work for you. I started out years ago by doing a little scrach building. my first thing I think I did was a roll cage, oh wait it may of been cutting open a trunk and making it hinge for it. then after that I tried something a little more. Feel free to ask me as many questions as you'd like. I will be more than happy to answer them. I have learned alot from others here and we have some amazing builders on this site. I am glad to be part of all this fun that goes on here. And if it wasn't for Gregg we wouldn't have the message boards that we have here. A big thank you goes out to him.

I was thinking after I posted that SW is probably really expensive software concidering what it does. Way out of my price range, I'm sure! I was assuming that you got it specifically for your building. Good to know I'd never really need something like that! :) Thanks for that offer to draw for your experience! With Revell/MK giving us that 1/16 FC, I intend on doing some scratchbuilding. You can count on me asking you and afew others here many, many questions! :)

Mike... SW is a little pricey for an individual user, seats cost about 5 grand for the basic package But there are some other CAD software out there that aren't that much that does the same basic thing. I am going to give you a link to a product called Draftsight. It is basically like AutoCAD where most of the drawing work is in 2D but it is a software from the same company that does SolidWorks which is Dassault Systems and its free download. It used to be called DWG editor and was part of SolidWorks and I guess AutoCAD somewhat got upset with them calling it the name they did and SolidWorks/Dassault Systems decided to change the name and make it free to the public...lol. Give it a shot

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/overview/

Also I wanted to apologize to everyone I wasn't able to get any bench time in last night and once i sat on my couch for a few I realized at how tired I was and I wouldn't of done very good work on the car last night. So I am hoping to not to have to work too late tonight and maybe get a little bench time in and if Lucky I may have a few updated pics for you all.

You are welcome Mike. I don't think it sould be too hard to learn.

on another note.... tonight I won't be working late and I am already looking forward to getting some bench time in on this build. And I think think I will be getting more time in over the weekend too even though i will have to work saturday til about noon. i am stoked to get back to this.

Ok Fellas.... I was able sit down at the bench tonight and make a little more progress. I got holes drilled in my side tins template and got my other Dzus faster tabs glued in. Here are a few pics

Here is the side tins template:

2v2uJyHemxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the Dzus fastener tabs glued in on the other side of the chassis:

2v2uJyH1kxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, sorry I haven't chimed in on this thread until now but just wanted to say how much I admire your skills and the level of detail you're building into this model. Geez, I wish I had your patience to put as much into my models! Great job Sir!