Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale Army Vega Funny Car - Finished 10/14/2018

Mooneyzs

Chris, you've slipped up on your meds again, huh.... :rolleyes:

Just kiddin' man, you know that, right. :lol: ;)

Sorry I ain't been around much lately, otherwise I would've been ridin' ya to have this done by now..... :D

You have a great eye for detail, and I am so pleased to see it getting channeled into such an awesome piece of craftmanship. (two thumbs up buddy :) )

Oh, and I saw mension of "functional DZUS fasterners"...Did some one have them available at some point...? I recall seeing them some time ago.... :wacko:

Actually, they may NOT have functioned, but were mult piece, so you could have the main body and the pin itself, mounted "un-done"....??

Oh, and I saw mension of "functional DZUS fasterners"...Did some one have them available at some point...? I recall seeing them some time ago.... :wacko:

Actually, they may NOT have functioned, but were mult piece, so you could have the main body and the pin itself, mounted "un-done"....??

Umm.... where can I find these ??? functioning or not.... :huh:

Umm.... where can I find these ??? functioning or not.... :huh:

Rom, I'm not sure they are even still available. :(

It is probably a good couple (maybe 4 or 5) years ago that I can recall....

I had asked about them (can't recall what forum) some time back, and got no concrete evidance to their where abouts or origin.... :wacko:

BUT, I am sure I have seen them......gonna have to do some more searching.......

Jack I will PM you my addy. Ok call me dumb but I am not sure what OTB stands for. I am drawing a blank. I think work has killed a few brain cells from all of the stress on me. lol

Art.... It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you at the NNL's I can't wait to see more of that Vette you had in progress there. She is going to be a beauty for sure. Nice work on it so far.

Gregg.... you are onto me Mate about the Med....LOL hahaha. Thanks for the compliments. You know on the multipiece DZUS fasteners, I believe it was from Replicas & Miniatures. I know I have a set somewhere. They aren't functional but are multipiece.

I still haven't had a chance to get any bench time in but if I am lucky I may get a few mins in tonight if I can. I sure miss building and not working on this for the past 3 weeks is starting to drive me bonkers. I have that itch to build.

Hey everyone.... wanted to drop a note and say Hi. Sorry I haven't been able to get much done on this lately due to work. I am hoping to maybe sit down for a few tonight and do a little work. so If I am lucky I may have a few pics to share later. But wanted to let you all know I have some good news to share with you but it will have to wait til tomorrow.

Jack... I still owe you a PM as well.

Bill I feel bad that I haven't been able to have any updates lately but soon I promise soon.

So the good news that I mentioned yesterday which I can now tell you now. I have been offered a new position with a new company. So that means no 70/80 hour work weeks 6/7 days a week and I will have more time for my builds and life in general.

last night I sat at the bench pretty much staring this build thinking of the things I need to finish up on the chassis and then from.my reference pics I noticed that I will have to modify the front part of the chassis ever so slightly to get the oil blow off tubes to attach the.chassis in the correct location. it will be a simple fix but one of those things i didnt notice until now. any way hoping tobmake some progress with it later tonight.

Scott & Tyrone... thanks for the congrats on the new job.

Brad... sounds good about the kitchen pass. I still have that paint waiting for you as well.

Ok so after looking at my time card I have been keeping on this build. It has been a month since I last worked on it. But tonight I ended that non-build streak. I sat down at the bench tonight and made some more progress on the chassis. Felt great to get back on this build. Anyway I know you all have been waiting for an update and here are some pics for you.

I started out tonight by removing some more of the original chassis to make room where the oil blow off tube will connect to the chassis as well as fix the support tubes to look like the real car:

2v2uJyaNkxAhe9C.jpg

Next, I worked on making the oil blow off tube connections. I cut them long for gluing purposes and I will go back tomorrow and trim them down once the glue is fully cured. and the black heat shrink tubing is there for mock up purposes. I have been debating on what type of line I was going to use for the oil blow off tubes and I am really debating on using aluminum rod and putting heat shrink tubing on and shrinking it down on it. I think it will give me the look I am going for on the hose:

2v2uJyeoSxAhe9C.jpg

After getting the blow off port into the chassis, I started adding the support tubes back to the chassis starting with the vertical tubes:

2v2uJyeehxAhe9C.jpg

Then I added the cross bracing tubes next:

2v2uJyeACxAhe9C.jpg

As I was working on the previous parts and looking at my reference pics I noticed that the front cross tube was going the opposite direction of how it was supplied in the kit. With everything else I had to cut it out to make it go the right direction:

2v2uJyeRSxAhe9C.jpg

I know this may not seem like I made a lot of progress but It felt great to be working on it again. Now I still have a couple more items I need to do for the refab work. I need to add in a mounting tab for the break lever, mounting tab for the gas pedal, a mounting tab for the steering gear box and then another tab for the steering rod that runs down the side of the chassis. once I get those there is a little filing on a part and add a little bondo to a few spots and should be ready for primer.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Chris, I sorta went back and looked page by page at what youv'e done here bro...Man you are truely setting the bar for what these things should look like in 1/16...your attention to detail is top notch and I can appreciate your patience taking this build to the next level..If you're as sharp with detail painting as you are with fabrication to scale, this build will indeed be a work of art and a high mark of superior craftsmanship from start to finish. Most of us as experienced modelers need to take note of the steps taken in this project to practice our own workmanship, recognise Chris' mistakes and how he corrected them and visualize what measure is required to correct the kits. The tremendous amount of work required to make a replica of high standard is obvious.

Long story/short, so far, this is one of the best 1/16 drag builds ever..period. And the way it is illustrated step by step is a complement to Chris' character in making sure we as the onlooking folks don't miss a thing.

Art.